Guest Declan69

Marriage to a Thai guy

Guest ryanasia

If you even look slightly happy or successful you will be subjected to internalized homophobia for no apparent reason. Good luck.

Guest ryanasia

Forget it. Been with my Thai bf for 15 years and would never, ever consider marriage. 

You have not given any details so impossible to properly respond to your post.

Marriage isn't an option available to you so I don't see what you wouldn't consider. Not in Thailand anyway.

I'm not sure what the question is - is it actually asking how we feel about marriage equality in general OR do you mean ( to be fair exactly as you say) about how do we feel to marriage equality to a THAI guy ( any more than a guy from any other Country perhaps ?)  

Guest Promsak

A couple of days ago, there were reports and photos of an ex staff member of Telephone Pub getting married in Thaialnd to his farang partner. It was also reported on Thai TV.

One million Baht dowry, half million in gold and a one carat diamond ring.

The marriage has no legal validity in Thailand (or elsewhere) but they will be going to the U.K. later this year to legalise their marriage.

Full story

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/977762-a-million-baht-dowry-and-a-hundred-foreign-guests-as-gay-british-tour%C2%A0boss-ties-the-knot-with-thai-man/?utm_source=newsletter-20170410-1319&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

As an edit:- sorry just remembered that there is a already thread on this story.

I have several friends who have married their Thai partners. The marriages took place in London and one couple lives there. Even with a 25 year age difference, they have never noticed any homophobia, strange looks etc. either in the west or on their regular trips back to Thailand. Another couple also has a big age difference and have lived together in Bangkok and once in Chiang Mai for 15 years. I have spent quite a bit of time with them. Again Ive never seen any signs of homophobia, open or repressed.

A couple of days ago, there were reports and photos of an ex staff member of Telephone Pub getting married in Thaialnd to his farang partner. It was also reported on Thai TV.

Just out of interest was the "marriage" being reported as "marriage" or a blessing and was the emphasise just on the fact that it had happened in general to a well known bar manager ( as I wouldn't have thought that would make the news particularly ?) or was it more a report on the size of the dowry that had been paid etc ( which again I wouldn't have thought was THAT strange in terms of white guys getting screwed out of their money for nothing other than a monk chanting a bit at him for a while)

Marriage isn't an option available to you so I don't see what you wouldn't consider. Not in Thailand anyway.

Marriage is available to me in my home country if I wish to purse that course. 

The OP was vague in his initial post, so don't know what he really was asking, does anyone?

I read it as - Would there be any downside to marrying a guy from Thailand?

Maybe he's heard stories of Thai guys (and girls) taking the farang to the cleaners and is wondering if it's a good idea.

We need more information, declan.

Guest ryanasia

I read it as - Would there be any downside to marrying a guy from Thailand?

Maybe he's heard stories of Thai guys (and girls) taking the farang to the cleaners and is wondering if it's a good idea.

We need more information, declan.

If that is the case nobody can really offer valid advice as none of us know who he would marry. Other than the fact you can only have a commitment ceremony here I can't think of any reason not to in all honesty. Do your ceremony in Thailand so you can test the waters before you go do it somewhere it is legally binding. 

Marriage is available to me in my home country if I wish to purse that course. 

The OP was vague in his initial post, so don't know what he really was asking, does anyone?

I agree vague, but why not answer the main meanings.

Marriage equality in general---Great idea, with many legal rights attached.

Marriage for gays in general---Depends on the people involved.

Marriage between young and old--Depends on the people involved.

Marriage between members of different cultures--Depends on the people involved.

Marriage for me and a Thai man--working out so far 7+ yrs

Guest Promsak

Just out of interest was the "marriage" being reported as "marriage" or a blessing and was the emphasise just on the fact that it had happened in general to a well known bar manager ( as I wouldn't have thought that would make the news particularly ?) or was it more a report on the size of the dowry that had been paid etc ( which again I wouldn't have thought was THAT strange in terms of white guys getting screwed out of their money for nothing other than a monk chanting a bit at him for a while)

The words

big wedding, married his Thai sweetheart, nuptials and traditional wedding

were mentioned in the article translated from Thai Rath, but this might just be journalese.

I loved the sentence  handed over the diamond ring and the dowry was received by Samruay's happy parents Jet, 60, and Samrerng, 57. I'll bet Jet and Samrerng were happy.

The Thai groom is aptly named สำรวย (samruay) which is used to describe someone who is foppish, pleasure-loving or idle-rich.    The auspicious circumstances of his birth might have led his parents and/or monk giving him that name and lo and behold, they turned out to be right!  I didn't know the word สำรวย could be used to describe men as I've only heard it being used to describe women - you learn something new everyday! :)

Question: why do gay couples often wear matching outfits at their wedding?  I find it somewhat nuff and uninspired.  And why was Samruay wearing football socks?  They both should have worn ballet shoes just for the fun of it!

I have never seen the point in getting married. 

Well, perhaps the only advantage that comes to mind is making it easier for your partner to get a visa & maybe passport to move to your own country, if that is what both parties want. 

Whilst no doubt there are some relationships that work, I would think protecting against potential financial losses with a pre-nup agreement would be wise.

Marriage for me and a Thai man--working out so far 7+ yrs

I have never regretted it, my financial input has been repaid many times with his emotional input.

Nice to hear of positive real-life experiences with regards to relationships with Thai people.  Too often we only hear of negative experiences.  Thanks for sharing.

traveller123. beautiful your points of view. I will be very grateful if you could speak in my post "love in Thailand". I thank you and I hope you ll be able to motivate others to write.

Have you asked traveller123 if he has been monogamous for the last 8 years?

Have you asked traveller123 if he has been monogamous for the last 8 years?

I wonder why anyone would want to know. How two guys develop and maintain their relationship is surely their own affair. We all know that many gay relationships have a tendency to develop into open relationships over a period of time. But thats not the business of anyone else. 

I wonder why anyone would want to know. How two guys develop and maintain their relationship is surely their own affair. We all know that many gay relationships have a tendency to develop into open relationships over a period of time. But thats not the business of anyone else. 

Oh, I don't care for the sexual life of anyone, I just wanted to relate Onlyserious fixation on monogamy with his admiration for a board member who I suspect does not believe in that.

But if an experienced traveler to BKK and Pattaya like traveller123 can stay monogamous for 8 years, my admiration for him!