gerefan

Tamnan kon e-San raided. Friday 14 July

So there we were,six of us, part way through a bottle of Blend and some large beers when .....yep another raid. The second I've had the "pleasure" to be caught up in in just a few weeks. The first was in a Karaoke bar which was told to close and we were thrown out. Probably open too late.

This time it was a little more serious. A few cops, quite a few troops, immigration, drug testers, press scum....all there...about 30 of them.

The strange thing was that all the lights came on the music stoppped but everyone was allowed to carry on drinking.... Well it was just as well as they were intent on piss testing everyone one and this was going to take some time on a Friday night as the place was full!

So we just carried on for about an hour, it was now about 3.30 am.

Some official in uniform came around inspecting all the ID cards and I just watched being farang ....when he decided he wanted to see my passport! It was of course in my hotel. When he asked me why I didn't have it on me I told him exactly why I never carry it anywhere. He said you have to come to Police Station. "Ok up to you" ....still better than losing it. More later...

We decided to go and get pee tested. Filled a little botttle, waited 2 minutes then got an indelible cross on the arm. Cleared to leave...didn't see anyone fail the test.

Went back to the table, met the others and just walked out as Mr Passport man was busy doing something else! TiT!

Went on to Marine Disco in Walking Street which is now very popular with the boys. Easy and guaranteed to say open till 6 when other places now close at 3.

Now I'm not a cowboy about this passport nonsense and usually carry a copy if I'm on a long term visit. I still take the view that a few, very unlikely, hours wasted at a Police Station is better than all the drama which would ensue If ever lost it.

These raids are beginning to get a little tiresome though!

I agree with you that a visit to the police station is far better than losing the passport or having it stolen.  My passport is the first object to go into the safe box in the hotel room and the last object to come out, and I carry a copy of it with me at all times (except in the dark rooms of the saunas...)

Thanks for the report! I, too, am with you as far as (not) carrying your passport is concerned. I never carry mine unless I travel out of town or know I need it for the bank or something similar. But yes, carrying copies and maybe another form of ID such as DL is a good idea.

But what they should really have you arrested for is drinking Blend 285. ;)

Guest jones

I was also in the club when this raid happened. Quite embarrassing us all being lined up like cattle with our bottles of urine in hand.

Luckily I didn't get asked for my passport although I did move about a bit when the police came my way as I didn't want any farang only fines! I've already been stung this week for an e-cig! 2nd time this year due to habit of holding it in my hand.

Totally agree the raids are becoming tiresome.

Thanks for the report, gerefan and jones.

Hmmm ... pee test and passport check on foreigners in entertainment venues...dont like it at all.

For those living in Thailand, what's the worst case senario if one fails pee test? I never did drug thing (does not mean I can resist the temptation if that does come my way at the 'right' time). The more worrying thingy is perhaps the Thai cops rig the sample? [if they decided that they need some baht.]

The report could also change my view as to carrying passport. Never believed for a second that Thai police need to check passport on people like me. [Why we want to stay in their country for extended period of time? Probably we want to spend more money? ... And if we do end up spending more money, why bother chasing me out? lol]

I was in audience a number of years ago when Dynamite (Soi 1 Pattayaland) was raided. They accepted my foreign ID card as good enough (albeit my hotel was on Soi 3 where my passport stayed in hotel safe). We paid up our drinks and were on our way. I think they should stick to this practice as we contribute meaningfully to Thai GDP. lol. No?

What is Blending 285? And why is this going to get one arrested? 

cheap crap shitty Thai Whisky...allegedly!

If it's as bad / or as good / as Hong Thong I respectfully disagree with Alex as I consider it quite drinkable and as indicated above I'm not exactly water drinker.

Here's to all three of you and Steve who mentioned said water ! Hong Thong it is, cheers ! Tastes good even here in farangland

... Hong Thong ... as I consider it quite drinkable and as indicated above I'm not exactly water drinker.

Here's to all three of you and ... ! Hong Thong it is, cheers ! Tastes good even here in farangland

Agreed that Thai Whiskey might not be of high quality but it helps with the want to drink :)

I like to drink SangSom during dinner time to prepare me for barhopping. By the way SangSom is not exactly whiskey.

Once I had a whole week work assignment in Songkhla (sp?) with a straight colleague. We ended up having nice seafoods every dinner; with a small bottle (300 ml) of SangSom or two. Absolutely enjoyable and delicious food!

For those living in Thailand, what's the worst case senario if one fails pee test?

Worst case scenario, charged with having illegal drugs in your system and sentenced to prison. That would be a very serious situation; you're entitled to a re-test at a hospital, but don't count on police to facilitate that. You would be in a hurry to get yourself legal representation, especially if you think (know) that you are innocent. If you do have illegal drugs in your system, on the other hand, a re-test obviously won't help and just piss off police - in that case entering negotiations would probably be a better strategy. No, I'm not speaking from experience, don't take my word for it.

By the way SangSom is not exactly whiskey.

Sang Som is not even remotely related to whiskey - it is a rum made from molasses, aged in oak then mixed with a blend of herbs and spices; Mekhong and Hong Tong are blended spirits made from molasses and rice; and Blend 285 is a mix of malt whiskey and pure alcohol

bkkguy

only animals are drinking water 

Very true.

Other living forms like plants get their water through osmosis and capillarity.

We animals drink the water, you with some molecules of gin and other stuff, and I like it plain or with the molecules in milk, mango drinks and occasionally red wine. 

Here's to all three of you and Steve who mentioned said water ! Hong Thong it is, cheers ! Tastes good even here in farangland

You must be a connoisseur, Hong Thong is not the worst.  At least according to this article:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/15694-these-4-international-drinks-will-give-you-the-worst-hangover-of-your-life

So there we were,six of us, part way through a bottle of Blend and some large beers when .....yep another raid. The second I've had the "pleasure" to be caught up in in just a few weeks.

This time it was a little more serious. A few cops, quite a few troops, immigration, drug testers, press scum....all there...about 30 of them. Friday night as the place was full. 

When he asked me why I didn't have it on me I told him exactly why I never carry it anywhere. He said you have to come to Police Station. "Ok up to you" ....still better than losing it.

Now I'm not a cowboy about this passport nonsense and usually carry a copy if I'm on a long term visit. I still take the view that a few, very unlikely, hours wasted at a Police Station is better than all the drama which would ensue If ever lost it.

I agree that losing a passport is more arduous than a police station visit, and so never carry it. Only exception is driving as it's safe in the car needs to come with me anyway if travelling around, and makes life easier with an official police traffic stop. I photo copy my main passport page (in colour) and East-Suites or which ever hotel is my first port of call after arrival photocopy my immigration slip, I keep these on me at all times. Have done this for more than a decade, have been asked for ID once during a police taxi stop in Bkk a few years ago, they were polite with 'search' and accepted the laminated copy without hesitation (folded in two credit card size fits all pockets).

It wouldn't have mattered which night/morning of the week it was, Tam Nan Issan is busy all year every day. I was there 3 times in my recent trip and could easily have been caught up in a raid like this had I still been there, so far have never done the pee test in 17 years of visiting after hours clubs and karaokes.

Worst case scenario, charged with having illegal drugs in your system and sentenced to prison. That would be a very serious situation; you're entitled to a re-test at a hospital, but don't count on police to facilitate that. You would be in a hurry to get yourself legal representation, especially if you think (know) that you are innocent. If you do have illegal drugs in your system, on the other hand, a re-test obviously won't help and just piss off police - in that case entering negotiations would probably be a better strategy. No, I'm not speaking from experience, don't take my word for it.

I would go further, and say entering negotiations should be the first and only course if you are positive with drugs, it would be the best use of money you ever made. In the situation where you know you have taken no drugs and would be declared innocent in any European country, if a very reasonable offer was made by police for you not to have to prove anything, say.....couple thousand baht I would take this too and get out of the situation a.s.a.p. guilty or not. I am not speaking from experience of being in that situation either but what I have always already decided to do if I find myself detained in any way for any reason even if absolutely innocent.

Blend 285 is a mix of malt whiskey and pure alcohol

Blend is also only 35 percent as opposed to normal 40 percent. Also the 'stuff' which is added to the malt is not declared on any label or box I have seen. Apparently some boys claim it doesn't get them as drunk with a sore head compared to 40 percent. When mixed with soda/coke/water/ice very difficult to tell difference between blend/pipers/ballantynes etc..

You must be a connoisseur, Hong Thong is not the worst.  At least according to this article:

yes , connoisseur of low prices as Hong Thong is cheapest of  brands available at 7/11.

On serious note, while single malt 25 y.o. Balvenie or MacAllan it is not , I consider it quite drinkable and emptied few of those with boys which are usually treated with round or two before we start our world peace discussions.

Like with all  food and drinks , tastes vary and when alcohols is considered  ability to moderate kicks in as well to contribute to an assessmnet.

In the situation where you know you have taken no drugs and would be declared innocent in any European country, if a very reasonable offer was made by police for you not to have to prove anything, say.....couple thousand baht I would take this too and get out of the situation a.s.a.p. guilty or not. I am not speaking from experience of being in that situation either but what I have always already decided to do if I find myself detained in any way for any reason even if absolutely innocent.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and decided on the same if , God forbid , need arises. Last thing we need id to waste vacation time fighting police and courts, innocent or not.

Even in western countries with sound legal system it may take a while to prove an innocence. 

Guest samebb

I drink Blend with the bar boys. It's acceptable. The other thai spirits dont agree with me. I get gastric issues the next day.

I have a question?

I never carry my US Passport.

Got it stolen long time ago in France and cost me 2 days of a business trip to get it replaced.

In Thailand I usually bring a photocopy.

What about having a Image on your Phone.

Would the BIB be OK with that??

Thanks

I have a question?

I never carry my US Passport.

Got it stolen long time ago in France and cost me 2 days of a business trip to get it replaced.

In Thailand I usually bring a photocopy.

What about having a Image on your Phone.

Would the BIB be OK with that??

Thanks

would US cop stopping you on the highway accept phone image of your driver's licence?