Travellerdave

Jomtien Complex - Pattaya’s best area for gays ?

I’m looking forward to finding in April as I haven’t been before.

Where exactly is jomtien gay complex. Is it adjacent to the gay beach Dongtan beach. I have been to the beach 4 or 5 times during the day but never to the bar complex.

On the Maps Iv looked at it seems to be a little behind the beach. Could some one tell me where the entrance to the complex is I’d be much obliged thank you.

There are several entrances, some marked on the map & smaller pedestrian routes.     What you don't get is a direct route from the gay beach without going to Thappraya Road.

The location of the gay bars is on the street with this location 12.901812, 100.868991

Based on a whirlwind survey over the last three days I would say this is the case. It has now four good quality gay or gay friendly hotels in The Poseidon, Agate, Zing and The Venue. 

Of course there are no gogo’s but this is outweighed by its bars having recruited a large number of younger boys from Cambodia and Laos. it’s pleasant to sit in one of the concessions and enjoy the sea air sipping a beer, coffee or coke according to your preference. I’m afraid the Pattaya beach is much inferior.

Dunno whether other members share my views ?

It is definitely a more difficult decision to make between staying in South Pattaya or Jomtien nowadays as Jomtien has improved so much.

I like both, but definitely prefer to be based for the larger part of my Pattaya stay in South Pattaya in the Tuk Com area. During a Thailand trip I visit other areas in Thailand as well including a short stay in Jomtien, normally for the first 3-4 nights of a trip as a relaxing start after the journey and getting used to Thailand again. I like to break up the overall (about) 4 week visit by being based in different locations. Bkk, Jomtien, South Pattaya and normally Issan or Phuket. Always have done it that way and it keeps my interest up throughout the trip. I don't visit Thailand nowadays or indeed the last 10 years or so just to meet up with boys from the bars and apps as I have bf in Thailand already and the holiday/trip is more about getting away from Euroland, recharge batteries and enjoy time with bf in general.

But the Pattaya part of the visit does definitely revolve round bars, clubs, music venues, boys, fun, entertainment...as opposed to taking in travel and sights.  So access to all the normal daily requirements of a Pattaya visit have to be taken into consideration and the 'bulk' of those needs are more easily accessed by staying in the Tuk-Com/DayNight area of South Pattaya. My main accommodation at Mosaik apartments is there with very easy walking distance to Sunee, Boyztown, Walking St and it's a quick Baht Bus ride to most of the other places we like visit/hang out at from outside Tuk Com door.    

If I were into offing boys for long/short time from bars........South Pattaya would still be the preferred base too as ALL the Agogo bars are there as well as the amount of host bars between Boyztown and Sunee.  

There is still so much of the gay scene in the Pattaya area I have yet to explore, but I do like the Jomtien Complex with its density of gay bars opening onto the soi, it has a relaxed, chilled and friendly atmosphere to it.

My favourite bar, as I have mentioned before is the @ Home Bar close to The Venue, staffed almost entirely with Cambodian boys; the cutest of which is actually the boss. Has a good Facebook page for those interested.

Beer prices in the several bars I have been into here seem far more modest than those of BoyzTown, as are barfines, and also, as has been said, the tip expectations. 

One other plus is that a number of the bars are open from late afternoon onwards, @ Home Bar, for example, is 4pm.

Although they dont have Sort Time rooms like the bars on Soi 6, my experience has been that they can find a room/bed upstairs if you ask and your expectations are not too high!

Yes some bars are open early at about 4, but things don’t really get going till about 8, when the boys are fully in attendance and customers are drifting in from dinner and the Soi is shut for passing traffic malking it a mini Walking Street. At that time the boys are making a big effort to draw in the customers to their bar, rather than trying for offs. So the scene is customers sitting mostly in groups with the boys swarming on the Soi. Later at about 10 it changes and you see boys sat with customers sometimes being kissed and cuddled. Later still, the bars start thinning out with some boys departing with customers to the hotels, but there is still some action as late as 3 am.

I’m due in Pattaya in three weeks and am contemplating making a hotel reservation. Last time I stayed in the Zing Resort in the Complex and have checked their website and booking.com with a view to doing the same this time. Both have very good deals but there is mention of noise from building work.

Does any member have recent experience of staying there ?. I want to stay in the Complex in a gay friendly hotel, without a lot of tour party guests, so I suppose another option would be the Agate. Also what’s the bar scene like there. I’m into twinks.