Guest Promsak

Songkran arrangements -- Silom Soi 4

Usually the "official" stop time is 8:00, but there are always light-hearted revelers (or, in my opinion, satan-worshiping a**holes, more often than not farang, who continue to splash people, and some even hang out at the end of the sois, so maybe shoot for after 9:00 and just be prepared.

If there is no water on soi 4 for the whole day then that is a major change.  In the past - during the day - it's pretty much been the gay center for songkran.   

Does anyone know the actual reason for their decision ?  Was it I wonder getting to be too much hassle to plastic up the place ( although they seemed to have it off to a fine art most years) OR was it perhaps that they believe that most people just stayed in the Soi playing water and didn't then come into their bars and spend money ?  If they latter thats a bit sad as as already mentioned the Soi really did become gay central most years and the fun ( and cute boys) abounded and it would be a bit mean of the (gay) bars to limit everyones fun over two days lower trade ? 

Anyone know for SURE the actual ( or quoted) reason perhaps ? 

Balcony used to always shut up shop for the 3 days of Songkran... and it was the staff that ran the premises on those days on a sort of sub-contract basis... I presume using alcohol that they purchased themselves.

Seems that this year the Owners have decided to cash in the action...

BTW no matter how many security guards they put at the entrance... there will probably still be plenty of water being thrown from Ice buckets and plastic bottles etc... So its a lose/lose situation:

Those that want to play water won't be allowed to do so freely... Those that want to stay dry will get wet regardless

No more paid holiday for the staff over Songkran. No more opportunity to make extra money for the staff that ran their bar in front of the Balcony. Songkran is longer this year I believe. Maybe they couldn’t afford to be closed the extra day(s).

Doesn’t seem like a winning idea to me either. Silom is an elbows to assholes water fight, there is no way you’re showing on Soi 4 dry, so not to sure of the point.

Guest abang1961

OK call me sinister.. 

Songkran is the perfect excuse to go topless and to wear mini-shorts...

Songkran is the perfect excuse to ogle at hot bodies

Songkran is the perfect excuse to splash some goodwill at guys you cannot get

Songkran is the perfect excuse to have FUN...

Guest abang1961

I can't be there in Soi 4 during Songkran but the logic is anyone would have been splashed before entering that Soi.

So the patrons are definitely going to get soaked wet... .still reasons enough for YOUNG and BEAUTIFUL to strip off.

Those (like me) better wear diving clothes to hide the excesses and love handles.

When I first read about this I assumed the businesses would be open all day long like Telephone Bar had been in past Songkrans. But, reading the sign that they plan to open at 5pm makes it all even more ridiculous to me. How is the staff supposed to arrive for work at 5? Silom is closed down. Can’t really take the BTS. Forget about parking your motorbike at Foodland car park. No customers, not already playing out on Silom’ are going to try and make it to Soi 4. Maybe you’ll get some business from people who need a break from the water fight and wonder down the soi. Doubt much though. Good luck getting that Silom crowd to disperse by 9pm.

Curious to know how it goes. Any boots on the ground to provide an eyewitness account? Wonder if that one owner of Balcony will be riding his bike to,work?

When I first read about this I assumed the businesses would be open all day long like Telephone Bar had been in past Songkrans. But, reading the sign that they plan to open at 5pm makes it all even more ridiculous to me. How is the staff supposed to arrive for work at 5? Silom is closed down. Can’t really take the BTS. Forget about parking your motorbike at Foodland car park. No customers, not already playing out on Silom’ are going to try and make it to Soi 4. Maybe you’ll get some business from people who need a break from the water fight and wonder down the soi. Doubt much though. Good luck getting that Silom crowd to disperse by 9pm.

Curious to know how it goes. Any boots on the ground to provide an eyewitness account? Wonder if that one owner of Balcony will be riding his bike to,work?

Guest Promsak

No more paid holiday for the staff over Songkran. Maybe they couldn’t afford to be closed the extra day(s).

Silom is an elbows to assholes water fight, there is no way you’re showing on Soi 4 dry, so not to sure of the point.

On what are you basing these comments? Were you at the several meetings between the police and the bar managers?

Please do tell. I can tell you you are talking TOSH.

As to your final line --- Soi 4 was packed solid when I was there yesterday from 5 o/clock when I arrived  and still at 11:30 when I left to get the last Skytrain home.

Today Thai TV reports that there will be 700 police officers in Silom today --- not including the 6 police security guards at the start of  Soi 4 to prevent water being splashed.

Guest Promsak

Soi 4 yesterday as captured in a photo in Khaosod.  I'll confess I'm disappointed by the owners of the businesses that took the revelries away from the gay community.  

Sorry D.M.  This photo is misleading!

It must have been taken early in the day. 

As I said before ---- I arrived at 5:00 and the soi was as busy as it gets late evening on International New Year's Eve or Halloween nights. It was just as busy when we left at 23:30 -- a madhouse.

There was plenty of water free revelry throughout the afternoon and evening and abundant water filled revelry a few steps away in Silom.

A couple of the bars and restaurants were closed for the holiday.

It's not misleading at all.  The appropriate comparison is to what it would have been during the day last year.   Attached is a photo from last year. 

The thread didn't suggest that Soi 4 was closed for business, and that's not what the Khaosod photo was trying to show..  The thread was about what happened last year and other years past -- which you can see in the attached photo -- not being permitted this year.  Soi 4 used to be wall-to-wall water and the focus of the gay partying.  The Khaosod photo simply shows the difference. 

post-14237-0-13263200-1523712844_thumb.jpg