manuelmendez

hotel suggestions in bangkok

Tarntawan, Rose and Raya allow guests. At the Rose they almost seem to encourage it! LOL

I'm sure any hotel on Suriwong Street would be ok.

I believe the Montien doesn't appreciate you bringing back a friend. Such a shame as it's so close to Soi Twilight and Screwboys.

Also, Nantra Silom (more budget) & at a longer walk, Baan Silom Soi 3.

You could probably google a list of "girl friendly hotels in Silom" and presume these are safe for your boys too.   I've done that when looking for hotels in places like Hua Hin.

Guest abang1961

Nantra Silom (more budget) & at a longer walk, Baan Silom Soi 3.

To me, Nantra is one of the worst hotels in Silom.

Granted that it is only USD 23 a night, the rooms are just like uni dorms.

I had the uneasy/unsafe feeling when I had to walk there with a Dutch one evening after dinner.

You may want to try Trinity Silom and those boutique hotels in Soi 3 Phiphat.. 

To me, Nantra is one of the worst hotels in Silom.

Granted that it is only USD 23 a night, the rooms are just like uni dorms.

I had the uneasy/unsafe feeling when I had to walk there with a Dutch one evening after dinner.

I'm shocked, luxury it is not but modern, spacious and good value for  a price .

Never felt unsafe  walking there and I stay at Nantra at least 2-3 nights every trip in last few  years . I find it particularly useful, due to low price,  for those late  arrival , early departures as it's more economical to say in cheaper hotel  when one arrives at 3 a.m, or departures at so doesn't have full time use of the room.

I'm not one of those  who would camp till 7 am in the airport to avoid paying for half used night .,

I consider the location of the Nantra to be near perfect and have not felt remotely unsafe walking there.

I did declare it as a "budget" option because it's just about scraping past my fussy standards for cleanliness.   The management really need to crack the whip and sort that out, since paying a cleaner to do half a job should cost the same as paying a cleaner to do the job properly.    The difference is down to attitude.

I prefer to pay the extra 400 baht and stay in the Baan Silom Soi 3, which is larger & has better housekeeping. However, any Thai gogo boy will be flagging on the walk back there.  No problem for a 50 something farang.

Guest abang1961

Yes, cleanliness is the major concern for me despite the fact that I do not and have not brought someone back to my room.

I am such a cheap Charlie and paying for sex just isn't my thing YET.

Paying a little more - about the price of a drink at bars is clearly in the right direction.

If we can go on a vacation, what is a couple of hundred bahts for a better living condition?

My crazy ritual...

One of the first things I check when walking into a hotel room is to check for hair on the bed.

Call me paranoid, small details can become BIG issues - I always carry a small bottle of chlorex/ bleach and a small amount of baking soda in my bag.  I sprinkled the soda in the toilet and the wash basin and leave it for 20 minutes before diluting the bleach.  I will spray the bleach on the floor and wall tiles.  This way, I am assured that the toilet is ready to use after washing away all the residues.  

I check for hair on pillows and bedsheets too since I sleep in the nude most of the times.  I carry a palm-sized fresh purifer with me all the time - I rather have a strong lemongrass smell lingering in the room rather than the offensive stale odour in older-designed rooms/hotels.

c700x420.jpg

Hair I can brush away.

I'm more worried about cum stains on the bed cover and the chairs!

I never, ever sit on the chairs / sofas unless I am wearing pants.

During sex on the bed some guys want to move onto a chair for a bit of variety. That's fine, but I always put a towel down first. I mean, how many times has that chair been used for similar activities?

I check for hair on pillows and bedsheets too since I sleep in the nude most of the times. I carry a palm-sized fresh purifer with me all the time - I rather have a strong lemongrass smell lingering in the room rather than the offensive stale odour in older-designed rooms/hotels.

c700x420.jpg

I like your purifier, a good idea to make your room be more pleasent and welcome

Abang seems even fussier than me.

However, I certainly expect the bedding to be immaculately clean & will clean the toilet seat etc in my bathroom.   When checking into some places for 2 weeks, if the shower ist so grimey, I'll invest 50 baht in a bottle of bleach and spend 10 minutes giving the bathroom a good scrub down.  

An air purifier would be too much weight for my travel light policy.    Actually, it's not a purifier, it just pumps out an alternative smell. 

When I moved into a room which had previously had a smoker in tthe Mosaic, I relied on open windows and heavy doses of air freshener to improve matters.    

U can ask the hotel to remove the smoke smell by using their air refresheners or air purifiers. Ive done that before especially when i already asked for non-smoking room, and get get a room that smells. Not sure if nantra silom and the likes can do it but i believe most of them do.

U can ask the hotel to remove the smoke smell by using their air refresheners or air purifiers. Ive done that before especially when i already asked for non-smoking room, and get get a room that smells.

I have never yet come across an airfreshner, purifier, joss stick, fragrance spray or any other product that will successfully eliminate stale cigarette smoke. It may do so for an hour or two but that fag smoke is embedded in curtains, carpets and other soft furnishings. It takes weeks and a total cleaning to get rid of it. Besides, entering a room that has been liberally sprayed by a cheap purifier is almost as bad.

Guest abang1961

This segment is brought to you by that Fussy Queen

If all fails ..

move to the next hotel..

We pay for the room and thus, we can demand a CLEAN and ODOURLESS room

We pay for the room and thus, we can demand a CLEAN and ODOURLESS room

sure but it helps to understand where cheap room  rates are coming from, inconvenient or noisy location, lack of amenities, aged furniture , noisy A/C and yes , shortcutting on maintenance so at timers we need to make decision z909 mentioned in post #9  , save 400 baht and endure mold in shower and lack of toiletries or splurge for that quieter air conditioner or newish towel .

There's no coincidence that Le Cafe Royal is closed while Ambiance and Copa are still running as Cafe  had chepest rates and free breakfast thrown in last Sept.

Few of us mourn Om Yim  / now Na Nara hostel / great gay friendly place for years which started sliding in maintenance while trying to maintain low rates .

In short one gets what one pays for  which doesn't meant great bargains and values for money don't exist -they do and Malaysia Hotel comes to mind imediately

Guest abang1961

Used to be- What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG)..

Vin Dear had coined What you pay is what you get..

Anyway to each his own (so Shakespearan here)...we just live by our means and as long as one is happy with the living conditions, everywhere is just as good as home.. 

The Om Yim let things slip a little too far.   I would think charging an extra 50~100 baht a night should, over a year, bring in enough money to do basic maintenance & there should be a good business case for that. Much better than letting the dreaded review scores slip & recommendations stop.

Incidentally, am I right in thinking there is now no gay managed hotel in Silom anywhere near the 1000, or even 1500 price point ?    

This isn't a great problem, since there are plenty of other nice hotels that welcome my overnight guests.   However, it's always nice to admire other guest's young company at breakfast or in the corridors. Some of them have great taste. 

Slack cleaning is something I dislike.  I stopped using a well known Pattaya gay guesthouse many years ago, as cleanliness was nowhere near my expected standard.  The cleaner spent most of the day sat on her fat **** in the reception area.  Since she was being paid to clean, all it really needed was some management intervention.

As for cleaning the bathroom myself, well if I'm spending 2 weeks in excellent accommodation, perfectly located & the only thing I don't like is a slightly grimey shower,  spending 10 minutes giving it a deep clean is time well spent.