Nathan_B

Torture in Boyztown

You both overreacting in my opinion based on my stay there just month ago to a day

It depends whether you are a night owl or like to go to bed early.

Last holiday I stayed at the Ambiance in a large suite right above BBB. The window in the living area overlooked Cupidol. It was the last available room at the time so I just took it. Now I know why it was such a bargain.

BBB had the karaoke blaring past 2am every night. The bar had closed and it was party time. But it didn't really bother me, as I don't go to bed until after 3am and the room had a bit of sound -proofing.

If you want to go to bed after the bars have closed and don't like noise, then avoid the Ambiance. In fact, avoid the whole area.

With Copa opening soon, the noise will only get worse judging from the size of the speakers and the TV screen I saw.

Karaoke is basically an Asian thing so we just have to accept it, along with the volume.

They are not going to change just to suit farang.

And ( perhaps NOT) more surprisingly do you mean that farang are STILL hammering out "My Way" as out go to standard karaoke song !??   

I mean COME ON guys. get with the times, it was funny when the boys were laughing at us 10 and 15 years ago as "my way" was apparently the only song they thought farang knew, but hell it's 2018 we're STILL at it it seems, it's just embarrassing  !

I guess you havent been to shows in some of the bars recently. The Sinatra version of My Way dates back to 1969. John Williams score for the first Star Wars movie in 1977 is only slightly more recent. Yet it is still used as a prelude to some of the shows. Golden oldies perhaps for an audience of not quite so golden oldies?

Karaoke is basically an Asian thing so we just have to accept it, along with the volume.

You are right, although I would like to think that even in Asia they would have some kind of control and force the Karaoke indoors, or limit it to certain zones.       If Boyztown is such a zone, then I will never be staying in a hotel there again.

If they have no control, then I will just try & carefully pick a better hotel location.

Reminds me of choosing hotels in Santo Domingo. A colmado is a small local storefront grocery - small items. There are thousands of them at many, in the evening, Dominicans get drunk and have enormous speakers entertaining the street. Better choose your small, budget, gay-friendly hotel carefully!

I now avoid all the hotels in a Boyztown, granted they are cheap ranging from as little as 800 baht a night but the noise is not worth it.

I must be staying in different Boyztown last few times as certainly I don't recall much of noise disruption. Granted, living on busy street  I may have higher noise tolerance but still....

I must be staying in different Boyztown last few times as certainly I don't recall much of noise disruption. Granted, living on busy street I may have higher noise tolerance but still....

I live in a apartment in a busy City but still cant cope with the noise in the early morning hours , especially a farang singing at high volume just outside the street facing second floor window of the Copa .

He was actually singing that song forget the name but something about slamming the door and walking out,i just tried to tune out.

Was it 'I will survive'?

Lol...yes thats it, omg he kept screeching it out and it was so loud I could hear it making vibes thru the walls at the Copa where inwas staying,never again even if they give it to me for free !!

The odd thing is that, in the late 90s when I started staying in BT, there were more bars, often packed with customers and dancers and  no legally-enforced closing times and yet the noise was contained within the premises, at least to a large extent. At any rate, it was not likely to cause sleep disturbance.

Then came the era of open bars where there was no protection from the noise within. And open-air karaoke. And (for a period) all-night parties for a handful of friends.

The bars of BT have, until recently, catered for those who want to see go go dancers and watch a show but also for those of us who enjoy sitting in a bar and chatting with boyfriends or perhaps with hosts or friends, enjoying a drink and soaking up the atmosphere. I resent the intrusions of street music into both my sleeping-patterns and my evenings with my boyfriend. And, as previously noted, if LCR is as disruptive as feared by other establishments, we shall move. I know that the possibility of loss of custom is a worry for other businesses in the soi. 

The odd thing is that, in the late 90s when I started staying in BT, there were more bars, often packed with customers and dancers and  no legally-enforced closing times and yet the noise was contained within the premises, at least to a large extent. At any rate, it was not likely to cause sleep disturbance.

Probably more of them run by Farangs, than nowadays.

And we understand these things more than the Thais.

Any late closing and excessive noise may not be a problem for the new Chinese owners, as they probably have sufficient funds to buy their way out of any restrictions if they need to.

but even them when they notice that is not good for business may tone it down. But if they see it rather improves cash flow than quiet loving types are doomed as far as BT locations are concerned  

Alert! When I arrived in Jomtien this morning around 1:30 am, full scale karaoke in new cabaret across from Poseidon. Singers had taken the microphone and sound system into the street. It was still going on at 3. Hoping it was a party and a one time thing. I’ll report back if it turns out it’s a regular thing...I’m here for a week.

Alert! When I arrived in Jomtien this morning around 1:30 am, full scale karaoke in new cabaret across from Poseidon. Singers had taken the microphone and sound system into the street. It was still going on at 3. Hoping it was a party and a one time thing. I’ll report back if it turns out it’s a regular thing...I’m here for a week.

I walked past last evening and the sound-level was unbearable. It would havd been impossible for me to stay in any of the bars near that noise. I didn't look closely since I walked past as fast as I could but it looked like few customers in those bars.

Noise at Jomtien can lead to nice events.

Last year after my assignment who did not want to stay long time left me at my room at Venue I went to bed but due to noise from Q Mark I couldn't sleep so went to that bar to see what racket is all about.

Waiter who brought me beer asked me if I sleep alone  tonight , I answered  ' no , with you ' and shortly we were marching back to my room,  noise or not.