JimmyJoe

How much do you tip waiter?

when leaving bar . with an off or alone ,  I have habit of placing  100 baht tip in undies of  most attractive, for my eyes,  boy on the stage. Sometimes even tip two guys if I can't decide.

Yes, intention is to signalize than next time I may be interested in. Often mentioned already that generally I engage only guys who are smiling or at least pretending to pay any attention to my presence. Often it works.

I do the same thing, but for two reasons. One is that they please my eye and I want them to remember me. But, number two is also very important. Spreading some money around the bar.

In my country, we just when through a new holiday - not a day off or anything like that but one we call small business Saturday when we are encouraged to shop at small stores. If we want them to exist they must have patronage. The same thing applies to our bars - if we want them to exist we need to keep them in business. The boys won't be there without an incentive to come and the bars need us to spend or they will go out of business and this is a small business I want very much to support. I can't, as yet, get my guy on Amazon.

So this is my - admittedly illogical - train of thought when tipping. I am somewhat of an underdog champion. I tip waiters well because I see them humbly rushing around and serving thoughtless customers unlike the boys on stage getting all the glamorous attention under the bright lights, often being barked at and ordered around by the fiercer mamasans. And then I will tip the mamasan if he has been good company, out of sympathy for their often reviled status amongst customers. Not their fault they are no longer young and cute enough to be star gogo boys. I will also tip efficient mamasans or the leading manager (if they have provided company) just because I appreciate excellent organisational or business skills. Behind every successful bar there is a hardworking manager keeping the boys in line.

For boys, I call the one I like down to sit with me and I will either tip him well or off him. For the ones remaining on stage, my rationale is the cute ones will get plenty of attention and tips so my contribution will not be as missed - better 100-200 baht go to a deserving waiter than amidst the 500 and 1000 baht notes received by the best boys (from women customers!). And if the boy is not cute or my type....well somehow my championing of underdogs does not kick in here, ironic I know, and I just don’t feel interested or incentivised to tip him! In fact I think unpopular boys should probably figure out this is not quite the right career choice for them if they are untipped and unoffed night after night. Yes I know this attitude is completely contrary so in the future I will put aside 100 baht as “encouragement tip”, to do my part for the gogo bar economy.

As far as I know, Jupiter and Tawan boys don’t receive a cut from bottle opened.

They just like free drink.

When the show ends at Jupiter on quiet day, boys would gather around the table of the customer with a bottle.

You will find the boys suddenly very friendly just because they want a drink or two, need to kill time until 1am clock off time.

One quiet night last month I found myself surrounded by 5-6 boys including star boy Mr Arm, I just looked around and realised I was the only customer with a bottle opened. LOL.

I will need to try this....maybe I can lure Boom my way!

So this is my - admittedly illogical - train of thought when tipping. I am somewhat of an underdog champion. I tip waiters well because I see them humbly rushing around and serving thoughtless customers unlike the boys on stage getting all the glamorous attention under the bright lights, often being barked at and ordered around by the fiercer mamasans. And then I will tip the mamasan if he has been good company, out of sympathy for their often reviled status amongst customers. Not their fault they are no longer young and cute enough to be star gogo boys. I will also tip efficient mamasans or the leading manager (if they have provided company) just because I appreciate excellent organisational or business skills. Behind every successful bar there is a hardworking manager keeping the boys in line.

For boys, I call the one I like down to sit with me and I will either tip him well or off him. For the ones remaining on stage, my rationale is the cute ones will get plenty of attention and tips so my contribution will not be as missed - better 100-200 baht go to a deserving waiter than amidst the 500 and 1000 baht notes received by the best boys (from women customers!). And if the boy is not cute or my type....well somehow my championing of underdogs does not kick in here, ironic I know, and I just don’t feel interested or incentivised to tip him! In fact I think unpopular boys should probably figure out this is not quite the right career choice for them if they are untipped and unoffed night after night. Yes I know this attitude is completely contrary so in the future I will put aside 100 baht as “encouragement tip”, to do my part for the gogo bar economy.

Bless you. A sane a reasonable approach.

ahh now I see why some opinionated comments posted here, although again someone with a sticky '?' key, letting themselves down sadly.

I see that in some countries example usa you tip, now I get the reactions, im also aware that for the waiters its part of their paycheque, well you should not be so shallow minded to see that in other countries they just tip when they receive a good service & not just for the sake of it, of which I already said I tip sometimes the gogo waiters, although forget what im saying if I had lots to drink. I agree with the latter method myself or as seen in los when tipping in habit standards can drop after all whats the incentive for good service if they know your tipping anyway

To think what happens in your country should be the norm in other countries then think again.

''People should stay at home if they cant tip'' what!! get real man/woman, don't be bringing shallow mindedness here & please post the photo in your previous reply to show us all where it says at all the ports in Thailand before you enter "Please stay at home unless you tip all waiters" please!

how do you know how much I tip restaurant staff, how do you know how well I tip my cambodian boyfiend or taxi drivers, so think more of the wider scenario before commenting & just judging people on what or when or how frequent they tip. I feel its not right to tell others what to do with their own money, its not your hard earned money is it or are you just telling us that you think as thais do, & think it just keeps coming out the ATM freely?

if people are expecting something from you for free that you have to work hard for then surely its their choice how they reward others.

Ive seen a poster who sadly passed away this year & who was a millionaire, in a gogo bar take the remaining 20bt note in change from the checkbin large wallet that the waiters gives you & replace it with x2 5baht coins, but I kept it secret until now & never judged them, its was their money, its was their choice. 

Ok  I've had enough. Final nail in the coffin is someone with the grand total of 22 posts , professing to be an expert not only on his own practices but the practices of others. However not the only offender.  This thread should have been here to provide new members or visitors with a range of options and allow them to determine what works for them. 

Instead we have members trying to tell other members how to tip. Now Locked!