martinsen

LIVING IN THAILAND IS LESS FUN

3 hours ago, z909 said:

I would have thought it's none of their damn business and if every entry stamp is matched with an timely exit stamp,  that's a track record of behaving.  

Especially if the person who wants only to spend the night has a departure ticket for the next day.  Unless he is carrying contraband or something, what's the problem? 

I can understand immigration officials wanting to prevent the wrong people from entering their country, but I see too many reports of perfectly innocent people being harassed and treated like criminals only because the official they are dealing with is far too overzealous and apparently likes to assert his authority. 

While immigration wants to prevent 'bad' people from getting in, how about also preventing the wrong types of people from getting these immigration jobs in the first place.

2 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

While immigration wants to prevent 'bad' people from getting in, how about also preventing the wrong types of people from getting these immigration jobs in the first place.

Isnt one problem the very real fact that civil servants in Thailand are basically paid peanuts at least until they reach the upper levels. They have no incentive to do anything more than apply rules. They are not paid to think.

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

They have no incentive to do anything more than apply rules.

Part of that problem is many of them apply their own interpretation of the rules.  Because of that, when you go to immigration you can never be sure what you're walking into.  Too much seems to be at the whim of individual immigration officers rather than a reliable set of standards.  Along with that, different immigration offices apply their own set of rules.

On 9/8/2019 at 9:30 AM, PeterRS said:

Martinson, you told us you have lived here for 13 years and the reason now is primarily your boyfriend. I assume you are retired - please correct me if I am wrong. But if I am right, you have posted one link to a survey that specifically relates to where it is best for expats to work. The issues are not identical. I cannot see that "Job Security" has much interest to retirees.

On the other hand, I totally agree about the TM30 nonsense.

Pardon me but how did you reach the conclusion that the survey relates to expats working?

6 hours ago, martinsen said:

Pardon me but how did you reach the conclusion that the survey relates to expats working?

Well, I may have drawn an incorrect conclusion but working abroad is one of the key factors in the two links you posted.

Some of the categories where Thailand scored poorly included Safety & Security (45), Digital Life (46), Economic & Job Security (37) and Language Barrier (44)

Of Vietnam, the survey said: “There seems to be no better place for finances and working abroad than Vietnam: it ranks first in both indices."

"Ease of doing business is a hallmark of any nation's attractiveness for trade, investment and tourism," said Stanley Kang, the JFCCT's Taiwanese chairman. 

On 9/9/2019 at 3:19 AM, Gaybutton said:

Now there is a good idea.    

I imagine you are perhaps referring more to the kind of nasty North American immigration staff described in this thread than the Thais.

The best way forward is to replace them with e-gates.   Software should be way more consistent.  

On 9/3/2019 at 10:05 AM, martinsen said:

The Thai government appears to want to make it as difficult as they can for expats to reside in Thailand.  More laws to cause us problems such as TM30, 90 day reporting and other harassment in acquiring  a visa extension. 

They are much more welcoming to tourist.

Stickman once quoted a bargirl saying something like: I wish Foreigners came only here as tourists and then go home after two weeks and not stay all year.

On 9/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, faranglaw said:

There is no conspiracy to make farang life in Thailand miserable.

It's not bad intend, just stupidity and following old laws that are appropriate any more.

Good points by both Martinsen and DivineMadman.

Thailand is not the ideal place to live for me. But after spending about 5 years in Thailand and traveling all over SEAsia except Philippines, considering what's important to me (ease of getting tourist visa, cost of living, food, boys) it comes out on top.