TotallyOz

Bumrungrad for Hospital Checkup

From Bangkok Post

Thailand's healthcare ranked sixth best in the world

Thailand is gaining worldwide recognition for the quality of its healthcare services, according to the Public Health Ministry. (Bangkok Post photo)

Thailand is gaining worldwide recognition for the quality of its healthcare services, after the US magazine CEOWORLD placed Thailand sixth in its' 2019 list of countries with the best healthcare systems, the Public Health Ministry said.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul hailed the ranking as an indication of the country's success in developing its healthcare sector.  

However, Mr Anutin also said on Monday that the government must not rest on its laurels, as mere rankings do not matter as much as how well the ministry performs its duty of maintaining public health.

According to CEOWORLD, which published the list early last month, Thailand was among the few Asian countries which managed to enter the top 10 in 2019, along with South Korea in second place and Japan in third place.

European countries dominate the list, with Austria leading at fourth place, followed by Denmark (5th), Spain (7th), France (8th) and Belgium (9th).

Of the 89 countries surveyed, Taiwan’s health care topped the the list, scoring 78.72 out of 100 on the Health Care Index. At the opposite end of the spectrum, with a score of 33.42, Venezuela was named the country with the worst health care system in 2019.

The Health Care Index is a statistical analysis of the overall quality of a country's healthcare system, including infrastructure; health care professionals' (doctors, nursing staff, and other health workers) competence, cost, availability of quality medicine, and government readiness, according to the CEOWORLD website.

It also takes into consideration other factors including, environmental sustainability, access to clean water, sanitation, government readiness on imposing penalties on high-risk behaviour, such as tobacco use, and excess sugar intake.

Thailand received an overall score of 67.99 out of 100. Breaking down the figure into categories, the country was given a score of 92.58 for its healthcare infrastructure, 17.37 for professionals' competence, 96.22 for cost, 67.51 for medicine availability and 89.91 for government readiness. 

Continues at

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1746289/thailands-healthcare-ranked-sixth-best-in-the-world

got the bill for the colonoscopy today. The actual colonoscopy itself EUR 300, plus sedation 50, plus miscellaneous other charges related to the examination, total bill just over EUR 500, the equivalent of about 17,000 Baht. Seems about the same as in BKK.

24 minutes ago, anddy said:

got the bill for the colonoscopy today. The actual colonoscopy itself EUR 300, plus sedation 50, plus miscellaneous other charges related to the examination, total bill just over EUR 500, the equivalent of about 17,000 Baht. Seems about the same as in BKK.

Germany have subsidized medical care? If I flew to Germany as a tourist would I pay the same in a private hospital? 

51 minutes ago, Up2u said:

Germany have subsidized medical care? If I flew to Germany as a tourist would I pay the same in a private hospital? 

this was at a private doctor's practice (not a hospital), with private billing, so yes, that's what you would pay. 

2 hours ago, anddy said:

this was at a private doctor's practice (not a hospital), with private billing, so yes, that's what you would pay. 

How long did the expensive part of the process take ?         ie Whilst using the services of the doctor and the colonoscopy gear.

I had one a few years ago & don't remember how long it took, but perhaps 30 minutes.     I don't imagine the cost of the equipment is prohibitive, so if you have an efficient private practice cracking on with it, then there is no reason why it should cost a fortune.  

2 hours ago, z909 said:

How long did the expensive part of the process take ?         ie Whilst using the services of the doctor and the colonoscopy gear.

I had one a few years ago & don't remember how long it took, but perhaps 30 minutes.     I don't imagine the cost of the equipment is prohibitive, so if you have an efficient private practice cracking on with it, then there is no reason why it should cost a fortune.  

it took 20-30 minutes, no more.

No idea what equipment costs, google probably knows... but presumably there are ancillary costs that go with such procedures, such as sterilizing the equipment after each use, possibly removable & disposable parts, etc etc. Do you consider 300 EUR a fortune? I don't....

21 minutes ago, anddy said:

Do you consider 300 EUR a fortune? I don't....

No,  on the contrary I suspect that's a good price & am surprised the figure is as low as that.

I'm quite impressed that a private German clinic matches the cost of Bangkok hospitals and  I'm just trying to understand the business a little more.    

However, if they have modest premises & get fully booked, with efficient operation,  they can probably do quite nicely on Eur 600 per hour.      I'm guessing the endoscope kit costs Eur 20~30k.

Not sure how it is done in Germany but in Bangkok the basic equipment looks pretty complicated and expensive. But spread over several procedures per day, that cost will be amortised in less than a year I reckon. Part of the cost in Bangkok is for the anaesthetist . He/she not only administers the sedative but has to be on hand in the remote case of something going seriously wrong. I suspect the doctor and anaesthetist fees cover about half the cost. Plus Bumrungrad now pads bills quite heavily, no doubt to help finance its expension into other countries.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:33 PM, anddy said:

Thanks for that! I hope you got a DVD of the procedure, just as a souvenir, something you go show friends and family or perhaps post on this forum. Joking aside, you do get a DVD from private hospitals here in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Up2u said:

Thanks for that! I hope you got a DVD of the procedure, just as a souvenir, something you go show friends and family or perhaps post on this forum. Joking aside, you do get a DVD from private hospitals here in Thailand. 

I know , it''s serious matter  but I couldn't stop laughing  imagining such DVD being shown instead  some Christmas story on Dec 25th or linked to this forum

On 9/9/2019 at 5:11 AM, z909 said:

However, I did pay for a much more thorough check up at BCH (Silom) a few years ago, which also took a morning & was very professional compared with what I am used to in the UK.   I might just book in another one this year or next.

I do an annual check up at Bangkok Christian during their New Year promotion saving two to three thousand Baht. First I consult my sort of G.P. there to see if he recommends any additional blood tests etc.

11 hours ago, Up2u said:

haha, well sich videos can be found and viewed online. I probably could get a DVD but didn't request it as they didn't find anything at all and to come back in 10 years. So no use for such DVD, other than vinapu's idea for a Christmas viewing :D