Cheshirecat

Help friend stuck bangkok

My friend is stuck in Bangkok needs to return to Cambodia no money he’s n his own I know he’s a mb but still no customers no cash I’m want to help but don’t want to b made a fool but worried for him with the shit goin on in the world Wots the best way to help western union won’t work 

The KHmer govmt rather wants their citizens to stay in TH, and there are near a milion of them.

There are BUSes by the dozen and this is the usual way about any Khmer travels back home. Do I really need to explain this will also be the cheapest option by far?

It also seems there si now some special respite from Thai immi for those who have to overstay due to canceled flutes or border bands, etc, but I DK if/how this effects Khmer.

The train from Bangkok to the Cambodia Border costs approximately 50 baht.    

Incidentally, it used to stop at Aranya Prathet, so a 100 baht tuk tuk was required to get to the border.    The train now goes all the way to the border.

So he needs <200 baht to get to Bangkok.   50 baht to get to the Cambodia border, then after that, it depends where in Cambodia he needs to get to.   

I guess he's either going to get a big lesson in the value of budgeting and keeping some money for a rainy day.    Or some generous farang will bail him out.   

You could offer him 600 baht to fund my suggested mode of transport.  

If he insists on a flight ticket, then either he's trying it on, or we have a good clue about why he has a financial problem.  

I've used the train, so surely it should be good enough for someone with no money and naff all else to do with his time.

Western Union should work. Tell him to snap his passport personal particulars page and his last entry stamp into Thailand, which should be less than 30 days ago.  That way you'll know that he's still in Thailand.  If he's already left Thailand, the exit stamp would be next to it.  As for how much to send, up to you.

Good advice from Sglad.

I guess you might want to donate well above my suggested contribution if he's a close friend.     

If he's still in Thailand, he should also show up on the phone apps as well, since he's trying to earn the bus fare home and there will be potential customers permanently resident in Bangkok.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, Cheshirecat said:

Flight cancelled I feel bad for him he stay alone now 

There's a Thai Airways flight bound for Phnom Penh on Friday, 27 March 2020. Approximately 4900Bt.

I've asked friends in Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen to check and they've reported seeing Western Union offices closed until mid April. The offices were in shopping malls. No idea whether this is true of every Western Union office in Thailand.

If you do manage to book him on the Friday flight and are able to wire him some money, remember to add a couple of thousand Baht to cover his overstay fine.

Good luck to you and your friend.

1 minute ago, gerefan said:

I sent money by Western Union on Monday and it was picked up in Pattaya no problem.

That's great but Cheshirecat's friend is in Bangkok.  Hope there's no problem receiving money there too.

Money was sent and collected flight booked but was cancelled that’s all I can do now so if it even helps a little my heart and head are happy so for now I’m just goin to focus on myself until this world is better my heart is saying keep helping my gut says I’ve done enough so I’m goin with my gut he is a great guy who’s friendship I will always have but I think I’m falling for him too much and need to pull back I’m sure he will find a way to survive as I see photos so il just wait and see 

He has in so many words ask for new flight but I didn’t reply don’t want to make any promises I cannot keep he has friends now so I’m sure they can work out a way to survive his life is his mine is mine it was good at the time I will always think about him it is sad but internet dating is not for me my heart cannot take it 

8 hours ago, Cheshirecat said:

He has in so many words ask for new flight

I'm not sure if Thai Railways are still operating, but you could suggest he goes along to Hua Lamphong to check & has his ~50 baht ready to get a ticket.    I think the train to the Cambodia border leaves early, shortly after 6:00 am.

If I was in his situation, with the economy likely to be tanking and any job back home likely to pay a pittance,  I would rather have the air fare in my back pocket and take the train to the Cambodia border.   If he happens to come from Battambong (as a lot of the boys seem to), onward travel from there should be cheap.     His effective hourly rate for doing that will be better than anything he's likely to see until the money boy trade picks up again.

Normally, airlines should refund fares for cancelled flights (if he purchased a ticket).  However, I expect many airlines are at risk of going out of business.  

First,If he really wants to go back to his country he can cross the border ,the immigration aloud Cambodian citizens to return back to their countries he doesn't need to fly as z909 suggested.

Second, as you said in your words he must work out a way to survive his life is his yours is yours.  the whole world is in terrible situation at the moment you try to helped him there is nothing more you can do at the moment.