Patanawet

Alcohol sales to be permitted -or hoax?

True or not --I don't know.

MPORTANT: The ban on sale of alcohol will be lifted on Sunday 3rd May. More information will be released tomorrow but it looks like the only stipulation is that you must takeaway. You cannot drink on the premises.

Source: นักดื่มเฮ! เปิดขายเหล้า-เบียร์ แต่ต้องซื้อกลับ เริ่ม 3 พ.ค. เลขาสมช.ยัน https://www.khaosod.co.th/breaking-news/news_4053275

From B.P. just now:

Sales of alcoholic beverages will be allowed again from Sunday but people will not be allowed to drink in restaurants when they reopen, the government said on Friday.

The announcement was published on Friday in the Royal Gazette as part of the easing of some of the stringent measures imposed it the battle against the coronavirus.

The decision represents an about-face by the government, which said earlier this week that the alcohol ban would remain in effect until May 31 after it renewed the emergency decree for another month.

If so that is a step in the right direction of 'opeing up' again,

But who will they sell the alcohol to?

I doubt many bars in the main tourist areas will think it viable to open up their premises just for takeaway sales.

Until tourists return in viable numbers I am guessing that most bars will stay closed. 

I’ve been checking YouTube - there still seems to be some foreigners around in Pattaya. They are probably expats and a few tourists who arrived before the lock down having paid for long stay accommodation. The situation must be boring and unnerving for them. A small proportion must be gay with or without boyfriends. Looking at the gay dating sites I thought there would be more boys offering their services owing to the bars being closed, but saw only a few. 

as to alcohol I can take it or leave it. In the bars I would often have just one beer or G&T or even a coke.

8 hours ago, Michael said:

A good step. I thought the ban was to keep people from partying. Successful or not, letting people drink in their homes is good during these troubling times. I don't drink and I think I want some wine.

And remind me, what was the given reason for the original ban from 2 till 5? was there a reason?

36 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

And remind me, what was the given reason for the original ban from 2 till 5? was there a reason?

no reason that would make much sense, but sense is not a requirement here. The original ban was not from 2-5 (of May) but over Songkran, which did make some sense. But then they decided to extend it, and after the extension was due to expire extended it again until May 31st, before making another of their now (in)famous u-turns and allowing it. 

The original rationale was supposedly to prevent illegal nightly drinking parties. Well not they had dense crowds seizing the newly available beer at the shops, there are some vids on the net showing social distancing at its best! TiT, again.

Here is an example: