williewillie

Boybars reopening Jun15th..?

From Khaosod English

Pattaya Bars and Nightclubs Reopen, But Few Customers Return

PATTAYA — Nightlife establishments in the resort town of Pattaya were back in business on Wednesday night for the first time in more than three months, though operators said there was little change.

Beginning Wednesday, all bars and nightclubs may open until midnight, but they must practice social distancing measures within the venue. While business operators welcomed the lift of closing orders they had been yearning for, a bar owner in Pattaya said she only had three customers on the first night of reopening.

“Only three customers came to my bar last night. I could only make less than 500 baht,” Saifon Kayanyeam, the owner of a bar on Pattaya Soi 6, said. “I will keep the bar open for 15 days to see whether the situation is getting better. If not, I have to close it since the cost is mounting.”

A survey by a Khaosod reporter found that only 15 percent of all bars in Pattaya returned to business last night. Let alone on Pattaya’s famed Walking Street, only 13 ‘beer bars’ were opened, barely any customers. Nightclubs remained closed.

For Chaiyot Thammasunthorn, who owns a nightclub on the Walking Street, he decided to keep his establishment closed until the pandemic is fully over.

“Nightlife operators in the city have decided not to open their businesses because there’s not enough purchasing power,” Chaiyot said. “On top of that, there’s virus control measures imposed by the government, so we will wait until the situation becomes better domestically and internationally.”

Bars in Pattaya have always relied on Free spending tourists for the bulk of their business. Hence Pattaya as we knew it will not return until flights from Europe and North America resume. I can’t wait to make another visit but I fear that it will not be Possible or worth while until November/December or into 2021. 

The 

8 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

Bars in Pattaya have always relied on Free spending tourists for the bulk of their business. Hence Pattaya as we knew it will not return until flights from Europe and North America resume. I can’t wait to make another visit but I fear that it will not be Possible or worth while until November/December or into 2021. 

The question is will the bars survive till November/December  or 2021 with no tourists coming to Pattaya.

8 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

22-47-06-RegionsOfOrigin(2019).png.b86e369088323aca71e9656fb76aa1e0.png

22-44-15-VisitorsThailand(2019)X.png.ca0e98a9982fa29c3b4ddcd3cc9515b1.png

While i agree they wont return to their pre-covid time, tourist from china and asia are way more dominant that both north america and europe combined. Thats why the gov cant wait to open their borders to chinese tourist first. 

I'd agree that the government should be interested in opening borders to Chinese travelers, but somehow I don't think there are many who'd be willing to quarantine for 14 days if that's one of the requirements. Chinese tourists tend to come for long weekends or week-long group tours.

The drawbacks of the travel bubble concept are already becoming becoming apparent. It has taken the government about six weeks to negotiate the small number of restrictive bubbles and they won;t begin until August. And a lot can happen between the time a bubble is finalized and it actually goes into effect. Countries that look like a sure thing today can look altogether different if a new surge emerges.

15 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

Bars in Pattaya have always relied on Free spending tourists for the bulk of their business. Hence Pattaya as we knew it will not return until flights from Europe and North America resume. 

6 hours ago, spoon said:

While i agree they wont return to their pre-covid time, tourist from china and asia are way more dominant that both north america and europe combined. Thats why the gov cant wait to open their borders to chinese tourist first. 

you are both right and there's no contradiction as tourists from different countries may have different spending habits.

Asian tourists  may be dominant en masse but I don't think we can see many Indians / 4th place / , Laotians , Vietnamese or Cambodians as bar customers, at least not in boy bars. Vessey may comment how it looks in girl bars but I doubt it will be different.

Shopping malls , border markets, bars , massages or architectural attractions , all may be looking for  visitors from different countries for their survival. 

Chinese tourists mostly come on organized groups and almost everything is organized and prepaid in advance they don't spend money in bars and shopping malls , the entertainment industry can't rely on them to improve their business.

We have been told no tourists are flying in. Yet a quick look at BKK's updated on-line arrival/departure info for yesterday and today shows that there are several passenger international flights - EVA to London, Austrian to Vienna, Qatar, Etihad, Oman Air and Emirates to the Middle East, Emirates also to Auckland, China Airlines 2 or 3 flights to Taipei, JAL to Tokyo and Osaka, KLM to Manila and Amsterdam, Cathay Pacific and TG to Hong Kong and Qantas to Sydney. Who is arriving on these flights? Surely they cant all be business people and high-end tourists.

5 hours ago, spoon said:

Amd citizens returning to their motherland

Are there really so many Thais still returning on the number of passenger flights now coming in to BKK?

3 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Probably most of this flights carrying cargo and not passengers.

I really doubt it. There has been no ban on cargo flights over the last few months. And if they were only carrying cargo, surely it is unlikely they will be listed on the official passenger arrival and departure boards alongside the Thai carriers flying domestic routes. They would park directly at the cargo terminal. Besides I know of two English guys who are booked to Vienna on the Austrian flight departing on Friday evening.  So there are obviously passengers flying out! I am just curious.

Well, not all scheduled flight will fly too. Many have been cancelling and rescheduling their flight during this covid period, so having plenty of options for customers to choose has its advantage in terms of getting people to buy flight tickets. And they are a lot of people that is still travelling for work, at least few of my coleagues and those i followed their IG did fly very recently. (One goes to mexico transit via japan, another flying from philliphines to malaysia, and one guy flying from indonesia to hong kong). At least two of them shared that their flight have been cancelled and rescheduled too. 

18 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Are there really so many Thais still returning on the number of passenger flights now coming in to BKK?

The below is a list showing Thais arriving on 7th & 8th from China, HK, Japan, Taiwan,Egypt etc using commercial passenger flights.

7th 209 passengers 
8th 600 passengers

11634C26-57C7-40B5-AB0D-71F55E2AB0AE.jpeg.3cd250d5f2f34a0e6ca258cea7e7dd46.jpeg