Tomcal

Airfares to Brazil

The games airlines play with the airfares always surprise me.  Fares can go up or down on a moments notice.  as a example I have learned in flying for business the last 25 years that you never make a reservation more then 3 months in advance and usually the sweet spot is around 6 to 8 weeks in advance.  I made a reservation for my April trip the end of January and the cost for flying Calif. to Sao Paulo was $1825.00 What I do is put it on hold for 24 hrs.. which is free if you have gold/silver/plat. status with them.  I then rebook every night first checking to see if prices have changed.  Sp far I have changed the reserv. 4 times due to price drops but tonight I found that if I flew in to one city and out of another instead of a round trip it was cheaper.  I booked flying into Belo Horzonte(where several guys I like a lot live) and returning via Sao Paulo.  the price was  $1100.r/t  I now put that airfare on hold since most of the seats on that flight are open, it means prices could continue to drop.

• Members
58 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

You can get a RT to Brazil for $149 (coach) by getting the Avianca credit card in a promo now:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/avianca-lifemiles-credit-cards-40000-60000-miles-bonuses-one-purchase/

It's good on any Star Alliance airline including United. 

Lol, I went through the whole process of giving them all my information and setting up an Avianca LifeMiles account, and at the end it just said “sorry, we cannot identify you” 

what a waste of my time. 

• Members
9 hours ago, Tartegogo said:

Lol, I went through the whole process of giving them all my information and setting up an Avianca LifeMiles account, and at the end it just said “sorry, we cannot identify you” 

what a waste of my time. 

I assume the "no identification" is from non-recognition of your Lifemiles number as new. There's a phone #- 1-844-343-1010 so maybe they can add the bonus promo code on a telephone application. I'll be applying in the next few days since the 60K is a temporary bonus. Hopefully all their operations aren't in Puetro Rico.

• Members
On 2/23/2018 at 6:35 AM, tassojunior said:

You can get a RT to Brazil for $149 (coach) by getting the Avianca credit card in a promo now:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/avianca-lifemiles-credit-cards-40000-60000-miles-bonuses-one-purchase/

It's good on any Star Alliance airline including United. 

Thanks for that link. I was accepted on the spot.

• Members
6 hours ago, jimboivyo said:

coach on any flight of that length is ill-advised

I couldn't agree more. When I can, I fly Business Class. When I can, I fly Premium Economy. When I have to, I fly coach with lots of sleeping pills!

That 12 1/2 hour flight GRU/LAX the first time I was way back in coach. I slept about 8 hours on the flight in a cramped position, but I got there without much pain. But, never again.

No doubt, however, that the younger guys can handle it a lot better! I did when I was young. (Way back when!)

• Members

BTW, when applying for the credit card, I left blank the line for entering the Life Miles account number since I didn't have one. I just entered the code. After I was accepted, today in fact, I received an email assigning me a Life miles account number and asking that I create a profile. It was all quite easy, and I hope that I get the 60000 miles instead of 40000.

• Members
19 hours ago, Tartegogo said:

How is Avianca’s business class? They have very reasonable fares, compared to the others.

Avianca (at least Columbian, not Brazilian Avianca) was one of the first airlines and is extremely good. I've flown them twice and would rank them with the top airlines. I flew coach but I'm sure their biz is above average. Avianca Brazil was a different airline before some sort of merger/acquisition and has never had a great reputation. I would choose Avianca over any other airline to Columbia or Peru. 

• Members
On 3/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, Lucky said:

Thanks for that link. I was accepted on the spot.

That was weird. I got immediately rejected with 810 FICO and perfect credit. I put self-employed instead of salaried. This bank seems to be totally hit-or-miss.

• Members
19 hours ago, Walker said:

Tomcal's strategy of buying and holding for 24 hour may only for for U.S. based airlines.  I don't believe any non-U.S. airlines adhere to this 24 hour free cancellation policy.

FWIW British Airways also has the policy of full refund if cancelled within 24 hours

• Members
23 hours ago, Uqtyang said:

Also www.airlinequality.com for reviews 

I just checked this website for reviews on Avianca.  There are plenty of reviews there, and Avianca's average rating is 3 stars (out of the full 5 stars).  AA is 2 stars, Delta is 3 stars, United is 2-3 stars.