OneFinger

Retiring this Friday

• Members

Congrats OneFinger.   It is a great accomplishment.  I retired 2 years ago January, and have a similar arrangement to yours.  My employer allows me part time work as well.

However, since my retirement, I have been plagued with health issues, spend most of my time at doctors and taking medicine, and havent yet been able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Before I retired, people used to joke,  sure you work your whole life, then you retire and DIE soon after.    Now I understand, maybe they werent joking ?

Best of luck to you Buddy....enjoy your life in Good Health !  

• Members

It's too bad it took a lie, a D-minus at creative writing, to lure you into sharing your own revelation. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading about your future, OneFinger.

If one is going to work for a corporation, I can't imagine a better compliment than: "My company really doesn't want me to go." Given that, I'm not surprised you were able to work out a "win-win relationship" moving forward. This sounds like a mutually happy transition. The vast majority of corporate workers don't have these happy stories to share.

I'm not a fan of work-causing stress. Stress is no friend to one's health. If you can achieve a less stressful life while still enjoying the financial benefits of working on your own terms, I'd say you hit a home-run. Congratulations.

The word retirement is foreign to me. It always sounded like bringing something to an end that you didn't enjoy. A kind of relief. I'm fully aware that most people need to work, but very few truly love the work they do.

I consider myself lucky, because I've always loved my work. I was advised early in life to follow my passions, and that financial security would follow me. That's exactly what happened. As long as my brain continues to function, I can produce and create until the day I die. I have no desire or will to stop.

I'm hoping the work keeps my brain exercised, while the gym membership works on the body. I've witnessed a few retirees who aged very rapidly and let their mind and body go. Without certain goals and achievements, a sense of vitality and determination can easily disappear.

• Members

Thanks so much for all your congratulations and support. My company has been fantastic in supporting me and helping me out. Since being transferred to my project in San Diego I've been hospitalized twice with some serious problems. Co-workers were very supportive and I would have at least a couple visitors per day from work when I was hospitalized.

Then in March I was rear-ended on the freeway driving to work. My personal truck was totaled but thankfully no one was hurt. When the office manager found out she called me and said I could use one of the company fleet vehicles until I retired.

And this is the same company that paid 100% for my medical insurance. I had a 90-10% policy with $500 deductible and $3,000 out of pocket maximum per year. They also put 10% of my annual salary into my 401K and 15% into my employee stock ownership plan (ESOP). It was a hard decision to retire. But, I know I need to for health reasons.

Moving out of my San Diego apartment on Wednesday and flying to my condo in Portland.

• Members

I’m also taking 2018 as a sabbatical. I’m doing a lot of European travel, mainly in the East. Also going on long bike rides, enjoying friends and my summer place and working out. Next year I’ll choose what I’d like to invest my time and money in. As you all have mentioned, it’s wonderful to have removed stress from my life.

• Members
5 hours ago, Suckrates said:

Did you get a big send-off dinner at Red Lobster ?    Consider this the first Day of the Rest of your Life !   :flowers:

They were planning a big dinner and drinks. I asked they not do that because I feel very awkward at functions like that. I just wanted to quietly exit. But, Friday night I did celebrate at Urban Mo's with about 10 gay and gay-friendly coworkers / partners. Had a great time.