TotallyOz

Why are Brazilians Late?

• Members
6 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

I am sure you are right.

When I was in NYC, my Brazilian friends were always upset that I didn't wait long. It took me forever to understand and then my first trip to Brazil, I totally got it.

So inefficient though.

Given that there isn't a rule about how late you should be, someone ends up waiting, sometimes hours, hours which could have been employed to do something useful or productive.

When I lived in NYC, I waited for 15 minutes. Then, I made other plans. I made so many upset but that was my limit unless they let me know they were running late.

In Brazil, my regular in Sao Paulo, is often 1-3 hours late. I plan for it as he stays as long as needed once he arrives. And, then, he ensures I arrive at my desired destination.

• Members
32 minutes ago, Tartegogo said:

So inefficient though.

Given that there isn't a rule about how late you should be, someone ends up waiting, sometimes hours, hours which could have been employed to do something useful or productive.

That is exactly the problem, the notion of "wasting time". It is a radical difference between the way life and time are understood in many Latin cultures and many Anglo Saxon cultures. I guess you heard about The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Max Weber's masterpiece. 

The moment is more important than the future. That is also why sex in so many Latin cultures is more uninhibited than sex in many Anglo Saxon ones.

• Members

This reminds me of an old joke.  Airline calling into Chicago Center, please give me a time check.  Chicago Center says if that was American it is 1900 Z, if that was Delta it is 2PM, if that was Jet Blue it is Tuesday and if that was Avianca it is 2018. 

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
26 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

That is exactly the problem, the notion of "wasting time". It is a radical difference between the way life and time are understood in many Latin cultures and many Anglo Saxon cultures. I guess you heard about The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Max Weber's masterpiece. 

The moment is more important than the future. That is also why sex in so many Latin cultures is more uninhibited than sex in many Anglo Saxon ones.

I see what you mean.

- If you stress about being late, you are not enjoying the moment.

- If you stress while waiting for someone who is late, you also are not enjoying the moment.

I just can't help thinking : Just don't be late and nobody stresses!

• Members

You are resisting. The problem is that you are waiting. Just enjoy your time, he will show up eventually. If you were the one arriving late, you would notice nothing dressed/bored/anxious in the guys who arrived first. 

I am not defending it, I am trying to explain it. 

• Members
27 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

You are resisting. The problem is that you are waiting. Just enjoy your time, he will show up eventually. If you were the one arriving late, you would notice nothing dressed/bored/anxious in the guys who arrived first. 

I am not defending it, I am trying to explain it. 

Well depends where I am. If I am at in a hotel bar with a cocktail, fine I can enjoy my time, but if am am at a bus stop, burning in the sun, because we are supposed to take the bus together, how do I enjoy?

I guess you only ever give a meeting place that is enjoyable no matter who is with you. 

• Members

FWIW my approach with meetings/dates was always to specify a time and emphasise I meant "la hora britanica". This term is widely understood in Brazil and Argentina to convey that they had to be punctual. 

For first-time meetings in a public place, I'd also specify that I would wait no more than 10minutes. Generally speaking, guys arrived more or less on time.

• Members
2 hours ago, msclelovr said:

... specify a time and emphasise I meant "la hora britanica". This term is widely understood in Brazil and Argentina to convey that they had to be punctual.

Doubly effective, cuz I thought it was because if they abide by Greenwich Mean Time they get several hours of cushion.

• Members

My most memorable Rio punctuality tale:

Well-known circuit gogo running on deus disposto time arrived late for an arranged home outcall and, as a result, was going to miss his subsequent appointed stage time. I gave him a few options. Return later, or split the session and paycheque into two parts and return to my apto later for the finale.

In either case, added an hour of travel time to his evening and we ended up with the half''n'half solution. Naturally, he tried to bargain for 75% then 66% the cash at intermission. I just smiled and handed him two Metro unitario cards. I later gave him a takeout meal of his choosing that he wolfed down. 

What a life ... always rushed and trying to look perfect (him of course!).

One of his issues had been keeping his busy smartphone charged. I think a great practical yet not exorbitant gift idea for these guys is a compatible Mophie charger. I just purchased one for my iPhone.