ihpguy

Take Care Down Here

• Members

Meanwhile, Russia has actually set up gay concentration camps in Chechnya. But let’s focus on the “danger” of elderly pasty white gay male tourists getting their iPhones stolen in the tony trendy tourist trap areas of predominantly black and brown cities.

As a mathematical science major with an emphasis on probability and statistics, I know damn well that statistics can be improperly used to justify biases and even bigotry. For example, many racists will use statistics citing the percentages of black people on welfare or the number of black people in prison as support for their claims that black people are more violent, criminal and lazy. However, just as in this case, proper statistical APPLICATION matters.

When citing crime or murder stats in Rio or Brazil, it is important to note WHERE the crimes are occurring, WHO are the victims, and to WHOM they are being perpetrated. As I mentioned above, the violent crime stats (armed robbery included) for upscale, predominantly white areas like Leblon, Ipanema, and even Copa are much less than they are in areas outside of Zona Sul (where you as a fragile gringo tourist are far less likely to venture into). 

• Members
3 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

Meanwhile, Russia has actually set up gay concentration camps in Chechnya. But let’s focus on the “danger” of elderly pasty white gay male tourists getting their iPhones stolen in the tony trendy tourist trap areas of predominantly black and brown cities.

Hey, guess what, we have the ability to be worried about more than one thing! 

Just because this thread is not about Chechnya, doesn’t mean we agree with the Russian Government. 

You haven’t discussed the Indonesian earthquake in this thread, does that make you someone who approves of deadly earthquakes? Or someone who doesn’t care about them? Or someone who has the wrong priorities when you worry about global issues?

Frankly, going on tangent like this is not going to make me feel guilty, sorry, it just won’t work. 

• Members

I start my roundtrip run at Av. Visconde de Albuquerque and run past the Hotel Fasano almost every day. As I run you can almost pick out which people will be targeted victims and which are potential perpetrators. As so many have said never take a backpack to the beach, never. Don't take anything!

• Members

In reading this thread, many folks assumed that the OP was either a newbie here or  yet another inexperienced tourist.  By his own account  however he has been a longtime Brazil resident, and his thread count is not that of a novice.  

For whatever reason, Ihpguy chose to leave the forum for close to two years,  which is probably why many didn't recognize him.   

His recent experience in Rio, and his decision to share it,  apparently prompted him to re-engage.   Let's hope he sticks around this time - and not for the reason that brought him back!  Others here have posted far more in the meantime.   However,   the quality of his posts- cultural and otherwise-  stood out.  

• Members

I went back to read some of the posts from2011,2012, and 2013, We were doing the same things then- making inquiries, advising each other, recommending this or that. All very civilly.

Ihpguy was right there with some pretty good advice from someone living there. He told us about teller and other strikes, Metro closings, and things of that nature. He kept us up to date on Meio Mundo and Acyr!  So I am happy that he is back, hopefully to stay awhile.