Tomcal

Lions Sauna Rio...will it last?

For those who haven’t been there, i would make plans real soon because it may close very soon! Due to Internal strife between the “Owners” it probably has better then a 80% chance of closing by 10/15

I really like the sauna but lack of adequate working capital, plus having owner/management who know nothing about running a sauna and speak Zero Portuguese, i believe imho it is not going to last! 

when i first got out of college i worked for Dun & Bradstreet evaluating new businesses and rating them for their chance of success. The First Two things you look for are 1) Enough working capital for the first year of operation without having to take out loans(Lions has zero and haven’t paid last months rent!) and     2)Experience in operating the type of business endeavor they are starting! (the one owner has no experience running a Sauna or bar or club...speaks zero Portuguese and a few other issues i won’t state here on a public forum!

i hope they make it because Rio could use a new sauna and the facility is really nice!

• Members

What a shocker! If I have got this right he posseses the skills, resources, and experience to pack up the crap and transport it to Palookaville USA ... sorry, I may be way off and reading too much into the very meagre outside info from which I am drawing hypotheses. I have never met any of the stakeholders.

But once again my fave movie quote 1974 comes to mind ... said to Jack N character after Evelyn Mowbray is shot thru the skull: "Forget it, Jake; it's [insert]Town."

Edited by Riobard

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomcal said:

For those who haven’t been there, i would make plans real soon because it may close very soon! Due to Internal strife between the “Owners” it probably has better then a 80% chance of closing by 10/15

I really like the sauna but lack of adequate working capital, plus having owner/management who know nothing about running a sauna and speak Zero Portuguese, i believe imho it is not going to last! 

when i first got out of college i worked for Dun & Bradstreet evaluating new businesses and rating them for their chance of success. The First Two things you look for are 1) Enough working capital for the first year of operation without having to take out loans(Lions has zero and haven’t paid last months rent!) and     2)Experience in operating the type of business endeavor they are starting! (the one owner has no experience running a Sauna or bar or club...speaks zero Portuguese and a few other issues i won’t state here on a public forum!

i hope they make it because Rio could use a new sauna and the facility is really nice!

You just explained why it obviously will not with your work experience.

Less competition for 117 keeps them longer in business and me very happy. :)

3 hours ago, Kyle4U said:

Less competition for 117 keeps them longer in business and me very happy. :)

117 has been operating 21 consecutive years! and the one huge advantage over its competitors...Monique Owns the building! Something pointe202, Meo mundo and Lagoa don’t which is why they are subject to the owners selling it for a profit when land prices go up as is the case with Lagoa and could be the case with Pointe(the bldg is owned by the family that owns the Atlantic hotels)

Also, and this is conjecture on my part, but Monique is married(or was)to a Argentinian Millionaire and doesn’t need 117 to fund her ski trips to Europe or Chile! 117 is special to her and as long as her managers do a adequate job and she makes some money on it she will continue operating it!

Edited by tomcal

• Members
On 11/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, azdr0710 said:

I'll try to get there this Saturday and report back

hey folks......due to a cancelled flight (two days late arrival in RJ) and my travel buddies wanting to stick with reliable 117 and 202, I didn't get to check out Lions...however, you can check out @sfcastro 's favorable report in another thread......

Edited by azdr0710

I went to Lions Club twice last week.  They had a party on Saturday November 22 that had a good show.  There were about 25 boys and 20 customers--I had a good time.  I went the following Monday and there were a dozen boys and a dozen customers.  Not a big crowd, but a fun time.

If you enjoyed the old Mayo Mundo boys, you will enjoy the boys at Lion Club!