JKane

But mah heritage!

In all seriousness, I come from the South. I didn't really understand the flag until I was older. Often people never get away from their hometown and have no chance to see the world or other people. Education is needed to brake cycles of ignorance. Every time I go home to Alabama, I hear the more disputable words directed at minorities (including gays). That generation is dying out. It is up to us to teach and educate the next generation.

23 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

It is up to us to teach and educate the next generation.

Just from the random act of riding with, and talking with, young Lyft and Uber drivers, I have very positive feelings about the awareness and societal sensibilities of 25-and-under people today.

• Members
3 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Just from the random act of riding with, and talking with, young Lyft and Uber drivers, I have very positive feelings about the awareness and societal sensibilities of 25-and-under people today.

Were we not also full of determination, and optimism, and omnipotence back in our teens and 20s? I also love what I see, I just hope they are luckier attaining the change they are looking for. 

4 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

Were we not also full of determination, and optimism, and omnipotence back in our teens and 20s? I also love what I see, I just hope they are luckier attaining the change they are looking for. 

Progress comes in increments. I was born in 1959. We got a little bit done. Then you do some more. And then again.

Nein?

^_^

17 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

I think they will swing the next election cycle.

They will if they fucking vote. It is stupefying how many will protest and march, but not bother to show up to actually vote. If they'd showed up last time we wouldn't be here. 

It is an unfortunate fact that they usually don't bother to vote, and they let old folks decide things... which they then protest.

Just now, caeron said:

They will if they fucking vote. It is stupefying how many will protest and march, but not bother to show up to actually vote. If they'd showed up last time we wouldn't be here. 

It is an unfortunate fact that they usually don't bother to vote, and they let old folks decide things... which they then protest.

Totally agree. 10’percent are woke but the rest are asleep at the switch.

My previous post was a hope actually, not a forecast alas.

• Members
32 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Progress comes in increments. I was born in 1959. We got a little bit done. Then you do some more. And then again.

Nein?

^_^

We can comfortably say that from our privileged situation. Too many people cannot wait for incremental change. 

• Members
9 minutes ago, caeron said:

Yes, I pray to the god I don't believe in that young people actually show up and vote. 

If they do, this world will get a lot better fast.

We do not know that. I think it is a mistake to invest so much hope on defeating Trump. Of course we have to kick him out of the WH, but be aware that minorities and the working class were already oppressed and exploited before Trump. Supremacist America is around every corner. 

• Members
1 hour ago, AdamSmith said:

How concretely do we make change? What actions?

I was not trying to propose an alternative program. I was rather commenting on the irony that privileged people are discussing the change less privileged people need. It is not new, it is not about you or the platform you support, is about all of us.

I confess I am a situational, reactive person. Your optimism always triggers my pessimism. 

56 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

I confess I am a situational, reactive person. Your optimism always triggers my pessimism. 

I know I come to the situation with way too  much white privilege. But I have used that to throw myself (to repeat again) in the path of literal physical danger when it could help.

• Members
42 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

I know I come to the situation with way too  much white privilege. But I have used that to throw myself (to repeat again) in the path of literal physical danger when it could help.

OH! I was not using privilege with the meaning attached to White privilege, and I was not only referring to Black people when referring to those who cannot wait. By privileged I was thinking of me, healthy and with health insurance, with my stomach and my fridge full, with a growing bank account, comfortable sitting in my condo with electrical power and A/C and hot water, with sewage, with hyper fast wifi and cable TV, and I could go on but stop there. What percentage of the world population enjoys my privilege?

• Members
On 6/12/2020 at 8:07 PM, TotallyOz said:

In all seriousness, I come from the South. I didn't really understand the flag until I was older. Often people never get away from their hometown and have no chance to see the world or other people. Education is needed to brake cycles of ignorance. Every time I go home to Alabama, I hear the more disputable words directed at minorities (including gays). That generation is dying out. It is up to us to teach and educate the next generation.

I also spent a part of my childhood in the south, specifically rural Florida.  The n-word was an everyday word and it felt like half the men had robes in their closets.  

Every history class was about the Civil War, AKA The War of Northern Aggression, and took a pretty dim view of reconstruction and those awful yankee carpetbaggers.  You know, in those couple years before Jim Crowe and Segregation improved everything immensely!  

Fuck the loser flag and everything it represents to the people who proudly fly it!  

2NurikC.jpg