Lucky

Daddy Has Died

• Members

Realizing that for some there is no love lost between Daddy's forums and Oz's forums, I submit that we can recognize Daddy for creating a very popular forum which has a multitude of participants and offered many of us a place to post our thoughts and interact with like-minded posters. Many of us left that site and came here. I did too. But I have learned to like both sites.

The future of Daddy's site remains unclear. It may be an opportunity for this site to gain members. I suggest we be supportive of those wishing to join here, and not begrudge those who don't.

At any rate, I met Daddy several times, some good, some not so good. But I sure hate to see how he suffered in his last month. RIP, Daddy.

• Members

He was found unconscious on his apartment floor a number of weeks ago.  Upon admittance to hospital he tested positive for Covid and placed on a ventilator.  They attempted to remove him a number of times but were unsuccessful.  

I don’t know the history of the “other site” or the controversy with the owner - but, we should all mourn those who pass...especially from Covid as most of this disaster was preventable and fault lies squarely w the former US political administration.  RIP Daddy.

We will never really know how many died in the US or around the world as there are so many deaths not formally counted as Covid.  I just finished reading several NYT & Wapo articles about the continuing Covid/humanitarian crisis in Brazil - and I know so many on this site love Brazil, the Brazilian people and have many friends there.  I am in contact with a special friend there and just last week he asked me to wire money as the situation is so dire.  Of course, I made the arrangements the next day & will gladly send more.  To all of you who have these same friendships, reach out & offer to help.  It’s much worse there than we can possibly imagine. A little goes a long way.  The healthcare system and the country are literally collapsing.  God help Brazil.

• Members

Daddy eventually died of heart failure. He had many medical issues, but this is the one that finally did him in. It's a reminder to all of us, not only to take care of our health, but have the papers ready for someone to step in while you are not able to act on your medical and legal decisions.

Since no one could access Daddy's apartments, we don't know if he had these papers, or a will directing the future of his website.

• Members

The funeral meats have not yet gone cold, but yes there is the matter of succession. I am not qualified to give an opinion but apparently in his state, without a last will & testament or even distant living relative ... probate court likely obligated to search harder for kin so many times removed than the hospital did for a decision proxy (friend) ... but the property is deemed escheat and goes to the state. So the site’s future may be at slot-machine odds. 

• Members

I had long ago decided I didn't like the way he ran his message board (or how he got it) but I still appreciated, until the end, his curation of interesting news stories.  They had been one of my main connections to gay culture and were a point of view I will deeply miss.  It is tragic that the final one is "The nurse says I have a cold", even now that I finally know I still go by habit, hoping it'll suddenly start updating again like in the past. 

You only fully appreciate something when it's gone.  

• Members

Based on the long thread there, now gone unless the sites boot up again, on what could go wrong and hypotheses about how to deal with an intestate situation and salvage the sites, it’s head-spinning. But there was a basic contingency plan for some involved to maintain communication and continue problem-solving attempts behind the scenes if the sites were to go dark. 

Moderators of sites like this would do well to have a simple mostly inactive social media account (Twitter the easiest because you can create as many accounts as you like without revealing your true identity), for backup communication about what is happening. 

• Members

It is back and working. I have been a member of both sites for many years. I appreciate all the Hooboy, Daddy and totallyoz have done. I have been reading the thread about what they moderators are going to do with the site now and it is a bit of mess. Why has oz not stepped up and helped in this situation?

6 hours ago, Candyman said:

It is back and working. I have been a member of both sites for many years. I appreciate all the Hooboy, Daddy and totallyoz have done. I have been reading the thread about what they moderators are going to do with the site now and it is a bit of mess. Why has oz not stepped up and helped in this situation?

It is not my place to step up. The site's issues, if any, are easily solved in multiple ways if the moderators have access to the forum admin panel. The entire forum can be backed up and restored in a new location (with consent of the estate). They do not need me to help them with this. If they did, I am sure they would have reached out to me and I would have helped them. I will assume they are waiting for the estate to approve their plans. If Daddy left no will or plans, you must assume he meant it to be that way.  I have met many members of that site. As someone who is truly interested in persevering the content of sites like this, I'd be happy to offer technical advice. However, I am not interested in getting involved in any estate issues, including the domain names. @Candymanif you wish to step up, feel free. 

• Members
6 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

As someone who is truly interested in persevering the content of sites like this, I'd be happy to offer technical advice.

I think preserving may be more the intention than persevering, although both are important. :devil:

6 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

The site's issues, if any, are easily solved in multiple ways...(with consent of the estate)

Given what I've read, sounds like a nightmare to me. Good luck to those who wish to salvage that mess. No shortage of people willing to throw cash at a dead horse.

7 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

If Daddy left no will or plans, you must assume he meant it to be that way.

Precisely.

Frankly, it surprises me. For a long time I believed he had prepped Deej and Cooper for this transition, leaving them with a solid foundation for donation begging. It now appears Bill left them with nothing. And that's the thanks you get for being a decades long moderator with no pay.

When the owner of an enterprise (hobby) doesn't plan for his death, it means he didn't place much value on his creations. If it's not worth anything, why take the time or energy to plan for its long-term vitality? It seems to me, the forum and review site were Daddy's pet. It was his "thing" and no one else's.

7 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I am not interested in getting involved in any estate issues, including the domain names.

Good grief. Nothing worse than trying to resolve poorly planned estate issues. Even when you think you acquired something legally (which can take years), something always rears its ugly head months or years later. It's even more complicated when a man lived a loner lifestyle and family members can't be found.

I would think the domain names have the least value. It seems they were created to distract from attention. Most of those queens never have to worry about finding the site if the name changes. Too many wannabe Nancy Drews among them.

• Members

@Rockhard says: "I would think the domain names have the least value. It seems they were created to distract from attention. Most of those queens never have to worry about finding the site if the name changes. Too many wannabe Nancy Drews among them. "

Those people. Why must you insist on insulting others?