TotallyOz

Apple's New Product Lineup

I have been anxiously waiting for the new lineup of products. I am happy to see the IPad come with the new processor. I know I'll be getting this one. I was disappointed to see the size of the new IMac go down from 27 inches to 24 inches. That is not what I wanted to see as I love the 27 inch size for my own personal use. I could also care less about the different colors of the IMac. Anyone else find anything that they will get during the coming months?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/20/tech/apple-event-highlights-april-2021/index.html

• Members

I just bought an iMac 27', and the Apple TV 4K. My other Apple devices are all still functional. So no plans for any new auto-gifts.

I guess my next decision to make will be when the need to upgrade my MacBook Air arrives. I will have to weight whether to buy a new laptop or instead to switch to an iPad Pro. 

Right now, I am loooooving the 27'. I never worked so comfortably with multiple windows open. 

Good article here:

https://www.wired.com/story/everything-apple-announced-april-2021/

I did like the new purple IPhone as I have always wanted a purple phone.

@Latbear4blkI have a 27 inch and love it. I have been using one since Stef Lacoste convinced me to move to the Apple brand. I still love them! What you can do to make this even better is to put another screen beside the IMac and you have two monitors. HEAVEN!

• Members

Somehow, I've never been able to figure out Apple TV.

My current TV has internet connectivity, so I don't need that especially.  It's a Sony and the user interface is kind of kludgy, so I'm thinking Apple's would probably be better.

I think the thing I'm missing most is a way to get a few local channels so I can get all of my content off the internet and get rid of my cable box and, most especially, the 30-foot HDMI cable I need to run between the cable box and my TV.  But I can't tell if the Apple TV would make that any easier than the same app running on my Sony TV.

At $29, the AirTag has some appeal, but I have a real aversion to Apple - or anyone else - tracking my whereabouts - or my car keys' whereabouts - every minute of every day.  It's not that I go anywhere particularly secretive these days, but I haven't totally given up hope.  :rolleyes:

1141517052.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I'm planning to get the new iPad Pro and am pretty excited - I'm still using an iPad 2 which I bought in 2011! Apple devices last for ages if you look after them, and my iPad 2 is still going strong but it's just very slow (plus I need a bigger screen).

• Members
1 hour ago, lookin said:

It's not that I go anywhere particularly secretive these days, but I haven't totally given up hope.

What I find the most interesting about the over concern about privacy is not whether or not we do inappropriate or illegal or anything we want to keep private. Instead, I find interesting that we think we are important enough to be watched by someone or something. 

Its not the watching, but the feeling of someone, somebody else, an instutition, a big corporate, having our personal private data such as your location, where u shop, where u sleep, where u go on vacation. While some of us trust Apple will keep their private data on us safe, we also know that data breached can happened and we also know that police can have access to these data too. Of course there is the possibility of the data being used to streamline ads to your phone etc. As long as they allow u to stop sharing the data whenever u want, and only activate it when u need to, i am fine with it. But air tag function is such that this might not be possible. 

• Members
7 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

What I find the most interesting about the over concern about privacy is not whether or not we do inappropriate or illegal or anything we want to keep private. Instead, I find interesting that we think we are important enough to be watched by someone or something. 

What's different these days is that, while it used to take some effort and expense to track someone's whereabouts and therefore be limited to someone 'important enough' to warrant tracking, these days there's no measurable cost whatsoever to track someone's every move.  The data's collected routinely and stored as bits and bytes somewhere in the Cloud.

Could that information ever become useful to someone or some entity?  Not that I know of, and not that I'm especially concerned about.

But if you asked me to write you a guarantee that no one would ever find a use for knowing everywhere you've been this year and who else was next to you, I couldn't do it.  And if you asked me to promise you that you'd always be happy with the use of that information, I couldn't do that either.

If there's a benefit to me from Apple knowing where I am, like when they steered me turn-by-turn to Palm Springs recently, I turn tracking on.  If there isn't any benefit, then - just to be on the safe side - I turn tracking off.  And, yes, I'm aware that someone could still figure out from cell tower data where I was any time of any day.

If you're interested in learning more about the tracking of people who probably didn't consider themselves 'important', take a look at the Uighurs in China after the government decided to take an interest in their whereabouts.  All the data was there, just waiting to be analyzed and acted upon.

Uighur-men-in-a-reeducation-camp-in-Xinj

Uighur men in a reeducation camp in Xinjiang - in the days even before AirTag