TotallyOz

Quarantine and then Covid

A friend just finished a 15 day quarantine in Bangkok in order to see his partner of many years. They were reunited 5 days ago. Today, there was a case of Covid in their building and they both tested positive for it. Very sad. Now, he is off to hospital for I would assume at least 2 weeks. He is schedule to fly back to US 2nd week of August so not much time with his partner or friends.

sad,  but such is a risk  of travelling those days. No only to Thailand but to nearest shopping  mall as well. Only person in my close family who got seriously sick last winter (survived) to this day has no idea  how and where he caught it. 

If your friend is landing in hospital it must be a bit serious? Was he vaccinated ?

8 minutes ago, vinapu said:

sad,  but such is a risk  of travelling those days. No only to Thailand but to nearest shopping  mall as well. Only person in my close family who got seriously sick last winter (survived) to this day has no idea  how and where he caught it. 

If your friend is landing in hospital it must be a bit serious? Was he vaccinated ?

He has no symptoms but was looking for hospital over a government quarantine. I didn't ask about vaccinations as I thought people coming here had to be vaccinated. No?

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

why would hospital imply serious? I'm sure you must be aware of the absurd Thai policy of the Covid Jail (my term)? Everyone, as in 100%, who tests positive here get's put in a hospital. Where hospital can range from field hospital to hospitel (a repurposed hotel similar to quarantine) or a real hospital. There is no escaping, even if 100% symptom free. No home quarantine allowed. Hence the term "covid jail" is the only appropriate one IMO. Totally absurd. And a reason why I no longer check in at malls or shops using the Thai Chana Line-app and would avoid getting a test at all cost. I rather do a home test (apparently they are finally being sold here since Thursday I was told, but I previdoulsly had a source) when in doubt and self-isolate and go to a hospital only if I were to develop symptoms.

The unintended consequences of the dumb policy of sending all covid test failures to hospital are entirely predictable.

After all, who wants to be sent to a field hospital shared with other infected people after failing a covid test ?      Bear in mind the test could be a false positive, or even if you really have covid, the air could still be filled with viruses from other versions of the virus. 

Hence even back in the winter, I saw much evidence of people avoiding signing into premises.  

23 hours ago, z909 said:

Hence even back in the winter, I saw much evidence of people avoiding signing into premises.  

In the beginning, I duly checked in into most places I entered. But I have long discontinued that for precisely the reason you state. 

21 hours ago, gerefan said:

I believe that stupid policy has been revised...due to hospitals being full ...well there’s a surprise! 

Yes though it was only for Bangkok as far as I know, and I'm also no sure if it has actually been implemented. Announcements per se have nothing to do with reality here as we know.