reader

Thailand sets out seven conditions for foreign arrivals

From Thai PBS World

From November 1st, foreign tourists arriving in Thailand, without being required to enter quarantine, must meet seven conditions, according to the Bureau of Risk Communication and Health Behavior Promotion of the Disease Control Department, today (Wednesday).

Foreign arrivals must:

1. Come from countries specified by the Thai Public Health Ministry as being low risk and arrive by air.
  2. Have certificates to confirm that they have received two doses of a recognised COVID-19 vaccine.
  3. Have negative COVID-19 results from RT-PCR tests conducted within 72 hours prior to arrival in Thailand.
  4. Have a minimum of US$50,000 health insurance coverage.
  5. Have written/electronic confirmation of hotel bookings in Thailand.
  6. Download and install a specified app upon arrival at the airport and undergo RT-PCR tests within 24 hours of arrival.
  7. Have negative test results before travelling domestically without quarantine.

The government’s policy of reopening the country to foreign travellers is based on three models.

The first is that arriving tourists, who are not fully inoculated, will be required to be isolated for 7 to 14 days depending on the case. The second is the “sandbox” model, which will be on trial in 17 provinces and the third is no quarantine for tourists who meet the seven conditions set by the Thai government.

Although foreigners can enter Thailand with the fewest possible restrictions, the government attaches importance to the safety of the Thai people and the country’s health system, which must be capable with coping with the new challenge, said the department.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-sets-out-seven-conditions-for-foreign-arrivals-without-quarantine/

Guest guest_BenG1000

Great, I checked pricing for Thai ... 9k return in economy lol Only direct flight available from Perth. Anyhow, Jupiter opening up on 1st Dec, that's good news!

3 hours ago, BenG1000 said:

Great, I checked pricing for Thai ... 9k return in economy lol Only direct flight available from Perth. Anyhow, Jupiter opening up on 1st Dec, that's good news!

Yeah they were the sort of stupid prices I noticed when searching fares, I looked for April and Singapore airlines had them at a more reasonable $1644 in economy with a short transit at Changi both ways. Closer to my travel plans but I'm hoping better fares become available if things settle down more by mid 2022. 

3 hours ago, TMax said:

Yeah they were the sort of stupid prices I noticed when searching fares, I looked for April and Singapore airlines had them at a more reasonable $1644 in economy with a short transit at Changi both ways. Closer to my travel plans but I'm hoping better fares become available if things settle down more by mid 2022. 

I feel lucky to be in Sydney then as I am paying little less than that during December this year :) 

An important question. My UK bank insurance is worth up to about $1.5 m.....a lot more than Thai insurances I've seen.  

Is the requirement to spend the first twenty-four hours in quarantine definitively dropped?  And where do we obtain the RD-PTR tests? s it straight-forward to do so?

I'm not happy about paying for a  flight before permission to enter is guaranteed.  

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

An important question. My UK bank insurance is worth up to about $1.5 m.....a lot more than Thai insurances I've seen.  

Is the requirement to spend the first twenty-four hours in quarantine definitively dropped?  And where do we obtain the RD-PTR tests? s it straight-forward to do so?

I'm not happy about paying for a  flight before permission to enter is guaranteed.  

1   As far as I can tell there is at present no guarantee we will get away without 7 days sandbox or quarantine (probably 8 nights, but DYOR if booking).    Obviously they are working on it, but no firm rules have been issued.

2  They are working on a list of quarantine exempt countries, which was supposed to be announced during the middle of this week.  Nothing is announced.  I'm waiting to see the official list issued with the UK on it before going any further.  

3  One recent CCSA presentation had a slide up showing the Thailand Pass will require proof of ASQ or SHA accommodation.  Reading between the lines, I suspect we will have to stay somewhere like that until test results are ready.    Much more sensible would be to arrange for rapid testing.

As for the insurance, I'm used to having travel policies with £5~10 million medical coverage.    I can't imagine $100,000 lasts for very long if there is a very messy accident. 

So whilst it might be reasonable for Thailand to require visitors to be insured,  I don't like rules that force people into bad insurance policies with abnormally high profit margins. 

The government on Friday outlined conditions for quarantine-free entry from Nov 1 for arrivals by air from 46 countries, which also apply to people who recently left Thailand for those countries, according to the Bangkok Post.

The announcement reiterated what was previously known but clarified some issues

Regarding health insurance, they must also have general health insurance cover of at least US$50,000. (one earlier published report said Coid-19 coverage).

People who had earlier left Thailand to visit any of the 46 countries, but stayed there less than 21 days will not be quarantined and will not be required to have health insurance cover of $50,000.

They must download application software that will track their whereabouts.

Additional information, go to:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2202535/conditions-for-no-quarantine-arrivals

On 10/21/2021 at 5:09 PM, newscene said:

Do we need to buy this from Thai company or any insurance company would do? Do we know?

You can buy it from any insurance company.  Seems to me you actually have to buy it from other insurance companies.  From what I am reading, you must already have it and be able to prove it on arrival in Thailand.

Just think - this rule might actually last a week or so before they change the rules yet again . . .

Emirates do free travel insurance included in the ticket, which has been proven to meet Thai Covid rules and has no age limit.

Whether it meets the different rules for a 90 day O-visa is TBC.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, reader said:

Some members over 74 reporting problem finding covid insurance. There's a US-based website offering policies from Thai insurer AXA up to age 99.

I used AXA Thailand last year.   I applied directly to AXA Thailand on line and received the documents by e-mail within minutes.  I'm well below the age limit though.

Note it is about 7500 baht for up to 90 days.    For 91 or more days, I think we're into the 6 month band, as the price is almost double.   

I think the lowest price band is about 30 days, but anyone planning a trip of about that duration might like to check.  

On 10/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, reader said:

Some members over 74 reporting problem finding covid insurance. There's a US-based website offering policies from Thai insurer AXA up to age 99.

https://www.squaremouth.com/

I put in for a quote as a 73 year old:

$610. That is approx 21500 baht. I bought an AXA policy for 7600 baht.

And this company does not cover cancellation costs for non US citizens.

For over 74 the price is the same.

Guest guest_BenG1000

While I applaud the 'slight' progress, too many 'ifs' to travel to Thailand. Even fully vaccinated you can carry Covid ... have fun spending it in quarantine. I know Australian QR code isn't accepted yet,  another hurdle to get the right QR code. Add to that the uncertainty being allowed back in to our home country ... argh, 2 years later and no end in sight what me concerns