PeterRS

"Horrific" New Covid Variant Discovered

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

How can these people not be traced? I thought part of the regulations for opening up were use of the tracking app on mobile phones.

One is supposed to install the tracking app.   Whether the user enables GPS tracking or uses the app is another question.  If tracking leads to testing and potentially enforced hospitalisation, they have created a good incentive for people not to check in.  So it's no surprise that people don't check in and I see absolutely no one checking into venues here. 

However, every time a visitor checks into a hotel, their passport is copied and details are sent to immigration and are on their database.   I presume they have some way of tracking permanent residents too.?

1 minute ago, z909 said:

If tracking leads to testing and potentially enforced hospitalisation, they have created a good incentive for people not to check in

This might be very well the reason why it is hard to trace these people. Also, we dont know if those who they cant track actually staying in hotel, or airbnb, or camping somewhere remote. They did managed to track some of them though and i guess these are amongst those who actually used the apps.

2 hours ago, spoon said:

They did managed to track some of them though and i guess these are amongst those who actually used the apps.

I have had the tracking app on my phone for many months. There was once an article in the Bangkok Post that if anyone living in Thailand was found to have covid19 and had not installed the tracking app, they would be subjected to a large fine. Since it seems to be a condition that those entering the country have the app on their phones, I am more than surprised there is no officer at the airports to check it has been downloaded - a very simple exercise - by every arrival. I suppose it would thereafter be easy enough for someone to rid their phone of the app if they wished. But if arrivals were warned that they too would also face a substantial fine if they were ever found without the app on their phones, I suspect tracing would be a relatively simpler matter. Why this has not been done beats me!

17 minutes ago, vinapu said:

last thing we need is tracking device on our phones, covid or  not.

You DO know that several Apps on your phone do and have already been tracking your every move from the very first day you bought it don't you ?? 

Just have a look back at your google locations someday when you're bored just to see just now much, quite scary if you weren't aware of it !

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

But if arrivals were warned that they too would also face a substantial fine if they were ever found without the app on their phones, I suspect tracing would be a relatively simpler matter

Another reason why its hard to trace them, fear of the fine? Hehe

27 minutes ago, NIrishGuy said:

You DO know that several Apps on your phone do and have already been tracking your every move from the very first day you bought it don't you ?? 

Just have a look back at your google locations someday when you're bored just to see just now much, quite scary if you weren't aware of it !

that's fine al long as I'm not required to carry it with me whenever I'm going, that's big difference

There are numerous reasons why they can't be tracked. I recall reading at least a month ago that the tracking app did not work on some android phones,

It's not a condition of arrival that you have a smart phone. That's why you're advised to have hard copies of all required documents.

I'm not aware of any regulation that requires you to carry a phone although there may be some places where the app is required for entry.

Maybe some turn their phone off or sim card expires. 

It's true, as pointed out above, that hotels are suppose to report arrivals of new guests but that system has never proven fool proof.

From Bangkok Post

Thailand detects first Omicron Covid case

hailand has detected its first case of Omicron.

The coronavirus variant was found in an American businessman of Thai descent who arrived in the country from Spain, senior Public Health Ministry officials said on Monday.

Department of Medical Sciences director-general Supakit Sirilak said the new variant was detected in an RT-PCR test conducted when the 35-year-old man arrived in Thailand.

Department of Disease Control chief Opas Karnkawinpong added the businessman was a US citizen  who had lived in Spain for one year before he arrived in Thailand.

He was on Emirates Airline flight EK372 from Dubai to Suvarnabhumi Airport and showed no symptoms.

It was unclear which day he entered Thailand as Dr Opas said he arrived on Nov 29 but a chart presented by the ministry during his press briefing showed Nov 30.

The man underwent RT-PCR testing in Spain on Nov 28 before he left for Thailand via the United Arab Emirates, Dr Opas added. He had received one shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which usually requires only a single shot.

Following the man's positive RT-PCR test, a more detailed test was conducted at the Department of Medical Sciences on Friday. He was being treated at a hospital, Dr Opas said.

Dr Supakit said "the chance that the infection is the Omicron variant is 99.92%".  

He urged the government not to replace RT-PCR testing with rapid antigen testing, and expected more cases would be detected. "If there is one case, we believe there will be the second and third cases," he said.

The ministry said the patient had been in contact with two airport staff and 17 hotel staff members.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2227511/thailand-detects-first-omicron-covid-case

From The Thaiger / BP

All in close contact with Omicron case have tested negative

Thai health officials now say all of the 17 people who came in close contact with the Omicron-infected traveller during his a hotel have tested negative for Covid-19, although one person is in quarantine after inconclusive test results. The American, who travelled from Spain and entered Thailand under the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme is the first in Thailand to test positive for the Omicron variant.

The last to be tested was a 44-year-old hotel waiter who served food to the American on Dec 1, Dr Chakkarat Pitayawonganon, director of epidemiology, said. 

The American remained asymptomatic on Tuesday and would be required to complete 14-day quarantine, Dr Chakkarat said.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/17-people-in-close-contact-with-omicron-infected-traveller-test-negative

Thailand's ramped up inoculation efforts appear to be paying off.

From Bangkok Post

Fewest new Covid deaths since June

There were 20 Covid-19-related fatalities during the previous 24 hours - the fewest since June 14 - along with 3,787 new cases, the Public Health Ministry said on Sunday morning.

There were 3,782 cases in the general population and five among prison inmates.

This compared with 39 coronavirus-related fatalities and 4,079 new cases reported on Saturday morning.

Greater Bangkok had no new deaths while other central plain provinces further from the capital recorded six more deaths - in Prachin Buri (2), Phetchaburi (1), Chanthaburi (1), Chon Buri (1) and Ratchaburi (1).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2230547/20-more-covid-deaths-fewest-since-june-14-and-3-787-new-cases