PeterRS

The World Cup's Legacy

When the World Cup was awared to Qatar back in 2010, few could believe what sort of madness had overtake FIFA. Since then, we have finally had proof about FIFA being the supremely corrupt body we always suspected it was. The World Cup has always been a huge event with matches covering stadia in several cities around the host countries. Tiny Qatar was neither known as a soccer nation not did it have any decent soccer stadia. No probem parrotted FIFA. Qatar had promised to build stadia with special air conditioning systems to counter the horrendous summer heat. As we know, that was never going to work and FIFA did a unique about turn by changing the timing of the tournament to November/December. Then there were Qatar's strict Muslim prohibition against gays, dress for women etc. etc.

How much Qatar ended up bribing FIFA officials will probably never be known. We do know that many of those on the bidding committee who voted for Qatar have ben charged with corruption or are in jail. We know, too, that the heads of FIFA had to resign and are also charged with corruption on a large scale.

Yet, whatever happened in the past, it does seem to me that holding the World Cup in a new and very small part of the world seems to have been not only effective but hugely effective. Teams and supporters have for the first time not have to fly to different cities between matches. The success of Morocco, despite coming in fourth overall, has been exhilarating, the passion of its army of supporters spreading to others. The last-minute alcohol ban in stadia has been a very big plus with very few arrests. British fans in particular have traditionally seen more than a large amount of loutish and drunken behaviour at all soccer tournaments. At this World Cup it seems their behaviour has been exemplary. That surely is one lesson FIFA must learn for future World Cups.

But while the tournament has been a success, FIFA and the Qatar government can and must put some icing on their cake by finally admitting the large number of migrant worker deaths in building the World Cup infrastructure and providing suitable compensation to the familiies. If not, in the fullness of time, it is this disgrace that will forever tarnish the legacy of Qatar 2022.

Im certainly not sure that the World Cup gave Qutar the positive PR image that they'd hoped for world wide when they were stumping up the money for the bribes perhaps and I doubt they needed the income from tourism so it's hard to see what they actually got out of the whole deal, other than a few new football stadiums perhaps. 

But bad PR or not - can't deny it was quite the final !!!!  Edge of the seat stuff for the supporters for sure.

6 hours ago, NIrishGuy said:

But bad PR or not - can't deny it was quite the final !!!!  Edge of the seat stuff for the supporters for sure.

Not even for supporters, I did not care who wins and still was sitting on the edge of my chair. One of best final I saw and I watched all from 1970 included, usually were less interested than other games of tournament but  not this time, perhaps one of best and more exciting in whole month. Both teams showed great football and and produced first rate thriller

9 hours ago, NIrishGuy said:

can't deny it was quite the final !!!!  Edge of the seat stuff for the supporters for sure.

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

I did not care who wins and still was sitting on the edge of my chair. One of best final I saw and I watched all from 1970 included, usually were less interested than other games of tournament but  not this time, perhaps one of best and more exciting in whole month. Both teams showed great football and and produced first rate thriller

Totally agree. I thought it was a fantastic game with some beautiful football. I go one further back than @vinapu as I recall some of the matches in 1966. Whoever would have believed that North Korea had a team in those finals and they beat Italy! The top scorer in that tournament was the immaculate Portuguese, Eusebio.

Finals have traditionally been pretty drab affairs as neither team wants to lose. Last night Argentina took to the pitch and dominated as though determined to win. Could the French have come back without Mbappe? Messi crowned his career and will retire from international football a Club and national hero. Celebrating his 24th birthday tomorrow, Mbappe is unquesionably the hero of the future.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Finals have traditionally been pretty drab affairs as neither team wants to lose. Last night Argentina took to the pitch and dominated as though determined to win. Could the French have come back without Mbappe? Messi crowned his career and will retire from international football a Club and national hero. Celebrating his 24th birthday tomorrow, Mbappe is unquesionably the hero of the future.

Yes - Messi finally got what he deserved and can retire with a BIG happy smile.

Mbappe will be interesting to follow especially with his alleged transgender partner !