PeterRS

Looking Back At Japanese Gay Life

A continuation of my little Japanese story. The two nights I spent with the young Japanese I met on my first-ever visit were eye-opening. Japanese can seem so reserved and polite in general conversation. Get a young guy into bed and he can become a tiger. I was sorry my new friend had left Tokyo by the time I returned but just by visiting the bars I was able to meet several more, although none was as athletic in bed as my first.

A year later I was again in Tokyo after a trip to the US arriving on a Saturday afternoon. After dinner, this time I went straight to the Regent Bar which was packed with a nice mix of young Japanese and foreigners of various ages. I was with a young guy I had met on a previous trip and had arranged to spend the night in his small room. Masayuki was a lovely guy and I really enjoyed his company. But there was another young guy amongst the crowd who clearly spoke good English and seemed to be the life and soul of the party. He soon came up to me and said be had not seen me before. What was my name and was I new to Tokyo? He then asked what we'd like to drink and it became clear he was one of the bar tenders.

Over the course of the evening, I found myself drawn to him. He was not the most beautiful guy in the bar - Masayuki was definitely the better looker - but there was something about him. This bartender exuded massive charisma to the point where you almost had to look at him. Still, I had made arrangements for the night and turned my attention to my lovely date. Masa was much more gentle in bed, but still clearly eager and quite delighful. We had a lot of fun. As he had to spend Sunday with his parents outside of the city, I decided to return to the Regent in the eveing to see if i could have a longer chat with that bartender. It so happened it started to rain quite heavily and I was nearly soaked by the time I reached the Regent. Getting there about 8:30pm, there was only one other punter sitting at the bar. So I sat down, ordered a drink and was delighted that Yuji was on duty.

Over the next nearly three hours, we drank and chatted together - me on a stool and he behind the bar. That charisma, his sense of fun and the ease with which we chatted completely enveloped me. I really wanted to ask him back to the hotel but something held me back. I found myself totally backward in coming forward. Having been relatively free and easy during my previous visits to Japan, here I felt like a young teenager almost afraid I'd be rejected.

Finally around 11:20 it was time for him to leave to catch his train home. Having put on his rain jacket, he came around the front of the bar, said he'd really enjoyed meeting me and trailed his hand ever so lightly over my ass. Still I did not move. I should have recognised all the signals but it was like this was all way too good to be true and he'd just say 'no'. And so he left the bar and I was left with a host of memories and a feeling of utter stupidity. 

Since it was still raining and taxis were always expensive, I decided to stay in the area. Next door to the Regent up on the first floor was a small disco named New Sazae. I had never been inside. But I thought I needed another large drink to drown my sorrows. I hesitated at the door before opening it and looking inside. You walked in by a small dance floor. The bar was at the other end on the left. Whisky in hand, I looked around the dance floor, wondering if anyone could possibly be a companion for the night, even though I doubted he would match what could have taken place with Yuji.

And then I saw him. He had not gone home. He'd come to the disco and was dancing on the floor on his own. I was amazed - and then he saw me. With a smile on his face he stretched out a hand and beckoned me to join him. Thus we danced bodies pressed to bodies for some time, initially both reallising we were rock hard! I think I need say no more than we ended up in bed in my hotel where neither of us slept a wink. In the morning we had to part as we both had work. But this time we did promise to meet again - and we did. The following month I spent a week's vacation with him in Tokyo. I then visited for long week-ends once a month thanks in large part to very cheap air fares on Pan Am which was then still flying in the Pacific. Yuji even came to spend 3 weeks with me in Hong Kong. I knew I was in love, but I knew too that it was doomed never to last. Young Japanese needed sex much more regularly than once a month, as truth be told did I. Sure enough. By the time of my last visit when i stayed with him in his little room, he told me he had met a much older westerner who lived in Tokyo and was able to offer him a nice apartment and all the perks of expatriates then based in Japan. I will never forget that last night with him in his single bed as we hugged and cried as the hours slipped away.

One of the benefits of knowing Yuji was been being introduced to several of his Japanese friends. Later I was to have a smaller affair with one of those cute friends. But he made it clear soon after meeting that he was not looking for any form of longer term relationship. As @A-447A pointed out above, sex was much more on his mind, not that was any disincentive whatever.

Although my Japan adventures have continued ever since, there was one episode that I can never forget. Three of Yuji's friends happened to have birthdays over four days in October. A few years later, they decided to have a joint birthday party and very kindly invited me. I really wanted to join them, but another trip to Tokyo was going to stretch my finances, so I declined. As the date neared, I thought this is silly. They are dear friends and have been extremely kind to me. So I purchased a Pan Am ticket and decided to turn up unannounced. When the door to the apartment opened, there were wonderful smiles all round. I handed out small gifts and was introduced to many guys I did not know. As the evening came to an end, I paired off with one of the guests for another tigerish evening. What makes that evening such a special one is that within 5 years all three birthday boys were dead. AIDS! Like so many all over the world, I cried buckets when I learned.

21 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Not many subway stations had names in English and of course i had got on at the wrong side of the platform. So I ended up miles fro my intended location.

The guys today would be lost without Google maps, no idea how we made our way around back in the days, no message boards to share info  and WITHOUT Google translate 😱

21 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Again we swapped contact details - and again we lost track of each other.

The advantage of "social media".... we've all lost contact with so many people we wish we could speak with today, but thankfully is much easier now.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:05 PM, Pantherz said:

On 6/28/2023 at 12:57 AM, a-447 said:

Then everything changed. The Japanese appeared to lose their inferiority complex vis-a-vis foreigners and started looking at each other.  The days of standing back and waiting for the hordes to go straight for my cock were over. Sure, I still got more sex than I could poke a stick at, so to speak, and I still got touched up in the train but it wasn't the same.

How I miss those days!

I think HIV changed things too. I lived in Tokyo from 1989-95. I was 29 when I arrived and hot. I did meet some guys, but many would not have anything to do with me. I even heard from other Asians that Japanese didn't want anything to do with them when they found out they were not Japanese. Still, there were so many cruising areas and it was a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, joizy said:

I think HIV changed things too. I lived in Tokyo from 1989-95. I was 29 when I arrived and hot. I did meet some guys, but many would not have anything to do with me. I even heard from other Asians that Japanese didn't want anything to do with them when they found out they were not Japanese. Still, there were so many cruising areas and it was a lot of fun.

Ah, yes.  The HIV thing!

I wish I had a dollar for every time a Japanese would tell my that HIV was a disease that only foreigners got and besides, there were no gay people in Japan. They'd never wandered around the back streets of Ueno at night or walked past the gay sauna in Takadanobaba, let alone wandered through Shinjuku ni-chome. It wasn't long before doors started closing firmly, but always politely, in my face.

In those days I belonged to a couple of private clubs. Everyone knew me and that I was a resident, not some disease-ridden tourist, so things didn't change. I was still welcomed with open arms (and legs) whenever I walked through the door. But the ticket seller at my favourite gay cinema - a guy I'd spoken to hundreds of times - suddenly became distant (literally, as he would lean back in his chair when I was at the window of the ticket booth!) and no longer had time to chat to me.

But knowing Japan so well, I never took offense.