unicorn

Does anyone like the shrimp tails in his food?

• Members

I was at a restaurant the other day, and was most interested in the seafood stew (cioppino). I often get this dish served with the hard tails (exoskeleton) still on the shrimp, so I asked if I could have the dish with the tails removed. As often happens, the waiter said he'd have to ask the kitchen, but it was done. This always makes me wonder: are there people out there who enjoy digging into a soup (or risotto, pasta, jambalaya, etc.) to pick out the shrimp and remove their tails? Or are there those who actually eat the hard tail? What do those of you who enjoy these kinds of mixed seafood dishes prefer? Are there any of you who actually prefer the tails on? If so, why? When we make shrimp with pasta or gnocchi at home, we always buy the shrimp tail off. Why would anyone prefer shrimp with tail on? What am I missing?

image.thumb.png.a22420420f279f1f6634f81dc6d38870.png

image.png.66d612731561a41b82cb140a47bcb3f2.png

image.png.f536d6b3a7d3b20427714f594980d057.png

• Members
2 hours ago, Mavica said:

I like the tail shell on but remove it before eating the shrimp.

I'm glad I found someone. May I ask why you like to dig into your stew or other dish to remove the shrimp tails? I understand @thaiophilus's situation in which the tail serves as a handle for that particular dish, but when there's a soup or saucy dish, where does the pleasure come from in removing the tails? Doesn't it just make your fingers messy?

I am used to eating prawns, tail and all, in Japan.  Teppanyaki usually involves the legs, case and tail being separated, and cooked for longer, then squashed, so to speak, and then  becomes very crispy. I use same procedure when barbecuing prawns, tail on.

I don't often peel / eat shrimp or want to clean the vein, take-off the feet, etc.  I do it, from time to time, though - when the mood / circumstances move me.  😊Honestly, though, most of the shrimp I eat are already cooked, with tail on.  Finger food?  Dip the fingers in broth, etc?  Bring it on!

21 hours ago, vinapu said:

enjoy your trip whenever you are going. Hope it's Bangkok. 

Unfortunately not. On my way back to London from Perth. Unexpected visit, as my plane was late, and I missed my connection. Malaysian put me in a hotel, with free lunch. Hence prawns! Bangkok 1st Jan, hope to swap stories of stamp collections!