reader

Pad Krapao makes it mark

pad.thumb.jpg.afe6aa9953165ef1960baf27ebfe8f38.jpg

This popular and commonplace Thai favorite can had anywhere from sidewalk vendors to Foodland to 7-Eleven for a small sum.

From Thai PBS World

Five Thai dishes, including Pad Krapao, have been listed among the world’s top 100 dishes, according to the TasteAtlas website, and Thai cuisine generally has been ranked 17th best in the world for 2023.

Pad Krapao, a flavourful stir-fry dish featuring Thai basil, minced meat and a savoury sauce, holds third place among the world’s best dishes. A popular northern dish, Khao Soi, ranked sixth, followed by Phanaeng curry in the tenth spot, Tom Kha Gai in the 15th, and Massaman curry in the 73rd position.

=============

Meanwhile, the Michelin Guide cited a Thai Indian restaurant for this "small bite." Have no idea what it is. If I want small bite I'll grab a skewer of grilled chicken from Surawong vendor.

image.thumb.png.c6e1394654b58c82c2b0dd2f03413397.png

OMG! Another "Best of . . ." something or other. I am perfectly happy with a few of these lists when I know either who has done the selection or am aware that it has been made taking tens- if not hudreds - of thousands of views into consideration.

CNN's latest list of The World's 50 Best Foods has Thai Massaman Curry as No. 1. But I was under the impression that this is primarily a Malaysian dish with part Indian ancestry! With Mexican Chocolate as #3 (huh? Very good but where is Belgian or Swiss chocolate?), German Hamburgers as #6 and Ice Cream, Global at #9 (and precisely what does that mean, i wonder? Is there no difference between a gorgeous Italian ice cream from Giolitti's in Rome and a diner in Wichita?)

Aug019.thumb.JPG.8d8c0933975b5641faff56ed8d0d751a.JPG

By this stage I was about to trash that list!, but that inglorious ending occurred at #14 United States Donuts!

That list has so many errors it deserves to end up in the kitchen trash can. It lists Singaporean Chicken Rice at #45. It's not Singaporean. It's Hainan Chicken Rice that you get all over Asia. With Buttered Popcorn, Potato Chips and Ketchup as three separate items on the list, the introduction to CNN's list makes you want to hit the sick bucket fast -

We’ve scoured the planet for what we think are 50 of the most delicious foods ever created. For now, feast your eyes and control your drooling, as we reveal some of the world’s best foods that can help inspire your travel plans:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-dishes/index.html

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

OMG! Another "Best of . . ." something or other. I am perfectly happy with a few of these lists when I know either who has done the selection or am aware that it has been made taking tens- if not hudreds - of thousands of views into consideration.

CNN's latest list of The World's 50 Best Foods has Thai Massaman Curry as No. 1. But I was under the impression that this is primarily a Malaysian dish with part Indian ancestry! With Mexican Chocolate as #3 (huh? Very good but where is Belgian or Swiss chocolate?), German Hamburgers as #6 and Ice Cream, Global at #9 (and precisely what does that mean, i wonder? Is there no difference between a gorgeous Italian ice cream from Giolitti's in Rome and a diner in Wichita?)

Aug019.thumb.JPG.8d8c0933975b5641faff56ed8d0d751a.JPG

By this stage I was about to trash that list!, but that inglorious ending occurred at #14 United States Donuts!

That list has so many errors it deserves to end up in the kitchen trash can. It lists Singaporean Chicken Rice at #45. It's not Singaporean. It's Hainan Chicken Rice that you get all over Asia. With Buttered Popcorn, Potato Chips and Ketchup as three separate items on the list, the introduction to CNN's list makes you want to hit the sick bucket fast -

We’ve scoured the planet for what we think are 50 of the most delicious foods ever created. For now, feast your eyes and control your drooling, as we reveal some of the world’s best foods that can help inspire your travel plans:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-dishes/index.html

The article is typical of surface journalism, unchecked, unedited, now all too common. 

44 minutes ago, reader said:

You’re not being rude although it tasted much better than it looks.

Here’s my all time favorite version from the “Beer Park” in Saphan Kwai (about 10 minute walk from BTS).

image.thumb.png.6fe763cc905f6743105d3ac764a269cc.png

Thanks! That one looks more appetising! I may yet try it in Foodland 7 stars with vinapu!

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

sure thing. Foodland version  is less fancy looking though. Not sure what looks bad in Hanoi version, for me both samples above look salivatingly tasty

Hanoi version just looked a bit dull, to me at least!