reader

Counterefeit 100 USD banknotes

If you're wondering why money changers are so demanding that US $100 banknotes are in pristine condition it's because it's among the most frequently counterfeited note circulating in the Kingdom.

So brazen are the crooks who deal in the business that they've now begun offering their wares on LINE. This Bank Post article describes how police ordered $80,000 in bogus currency and nabbed the sellers at the transfer point.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2725727/duo-arrested-with-fake-dollar-bills-worth-b2-8m

Issuing modern polymer notes helps.

From the Bank of England:

"In the first half of 2023 typically less than 0.0031% of banknotes were counterfeit, that is less than 1 in 30,000 banknotes. Some 73,000 counterfeit Bank of England banknotes with a nominal face value of £1.5 million were taken out of circulation. At any one time, there is around 4.6 billion genuine banknotes in circulation, with a notional face value of £82 billion."

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/counterfeit-banknotes

On 1/17/2024 at 9:29 AM, thaiophilus said:

Issuing modern polymer notes helps.

You are  on something. One of reasons US currency is so often counterfeited is not only fact that currency is so powerful and portable i.e. easily exchanged almost everywhere but also what it seems to me bit irrational attachment of American public to looks of their physical money which is basically 19th century design  still in use more than 100 year later with only few modifications  like all those hi-tech laser printers and copiers were never invented.

I'd venture that it's harder to counterfeit new 20 baht note than 100 newest bill. I get it that familiarity of design gives some comfort along he fact the currency looks extremely stable if one can buy chewing gum paying with say 1934 issuer dollar bill but crooks are immune to sentiments of even 300 odd million nation.

In  May 2022 I was exchanging some money in Kuala Lumpur and in front of me was guy trying to exchange 100 $ into ringgit only to have  4 ( in words FOUR ) bills rejected for some tears or numbers written on them. I'm fairly sure his belief in USD universal acceptance was shattered . I know the feeling - in 2006 in Ukrainian village of Chotym famous for enormous castle I wanted to buy some folk art craft. I run out of hrivnyas (Ukrainian currency to this  day ) so offered new shiny 20$ bill. To my shock it was declined by the seller. Our guide explained that he was not sure if note was real or fake. When I told this to my mom  I  remember her comment " if they don't want dollar there it's end of the world I know"

43 minutes ago, vinapu said:

You are  on something. One of reasons US currency is so often counterfeited is not only fact that currency is so powerful and portable i.e. easily exchanged almost everywhere but also what it seems to me bit irrational attachment of American public to looks of their physical money which is basically 19th century design  still in use more than 100 year later with only few modifications  like all those hi-tech laser printers and copiers were never invented. 

For more than ten years, US $100 bills have indeed had hi-tech innovations to help prevent counterfeiting.

"It's largely because of one particular security feature: the 3-D ribbon, a vertical blue bar made of thousands of tiny lenses. Images of bells shift to 100s when the bill is tilted."  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-counterfeiter-wouldnt-waste-my-time-on-new-100-bill/

That's why shop owners, bankers, and other recipients will hold a bill up to the light and move it around. The image should change if it's a real bill

The $50, $20, $10, and $5 bills have a different type of hi-tech technology: an embedded security thread that glows blue when illuminated by UV light, with certain images that appear when held to the light.

2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

For more than ten years, US $100 bills have indeed had hi-tech innovations to help prevent counterfeiting.

"It's largely because of one particular security feature: the 3-D ribbon, a vertical blue bar made of thousands of tiny lenses. Images of bells shift to 100s when the bill is tilted."  

Argentinian 1000 peso ( about 1 $ at current rates ) also has 3-D , certainly  it helps with prevention but as original post attests doesn't scare much of potential counterfeiters.

2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

The $50, $20, $10, and $5 bills have a different type of hi-tech technology: an embedded security thread that glows blue when illuminated by UV light, with certain images that appear when held to the light.

UV glow helps in bank setting but not in ordinary place where money is exchanged, how me as shopper  will get that UV illumination.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:18 AM, omega said:

This is a common problem for all major currencies at the moment :(

it always was to some degree, I'd not be so alarmed  as part of it may be deliberate panic in order to force or at least gently pull population toward cashless payments, both cost saving for banks  and enabling greater control over how and where we spend our money, growing and scary trend

1 minute ago, vinapu said:

UV glow helps in bank setting but not in ordinary place where money is exchanged, how me as shopper  will get that UV illumination.

Here are some other detection methods for us commoners.

But if your spectacles are fogged up (in a sauna) or dirty (from 12th-century sandstone dust), you might want to fix that first. 🤓

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/how-to-spot-a-fake-20-bill/103-391635173

Here are 5 ways to identify distinguishing features on the American $20, according to the U.S. Currency Education Program.

1. Check the bill for color-shifting ink. Tilt the note to see the numeral "20" in the lower right hand corner on the front of the note. The color of the numeral should switch from copper to green.

2. A real $20 bill will feature a portrait watermark. You can see it by holding the note to the light to see a faint image of Andrew Jackson in the blank space to the right of the center portrait. The watermark should be visible on both sides of the bill.

3. Check for a security thread. Hold the note to the light to see an embedded thread running vertically on the left of the portrait. The thread should be imprinted with the text "USA TWENTY" and a small flag in an alternating pattern. It's visible from both sides of the note. The thread glows green when illuminated by ultraviolet light.

4. If you move your fingers across the bill you should feel raised printing, giving real Federal Reserve bills a distinctive texture.

5. Look for microprinting. This could require magnification. Check for the small text "USA20" along the border of the first three letters of the blue "TWENTY USA" ribbon to the right of the portrait. Also look for the text "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 20 USA 20" in black in the border below the Treasurer’s signature.