traveller123

Street Food

I live with my Thai partner in Surin, Issan and rarely visit Bangkok as I find now I am older (77) it is just too busy and polluted.

However in two weeks time we will be going there to meet up with a close friend of mine, a lady and her partner, who are flying in from England for a holiday.

She has asked if, one night, we can go out to eat street food for dinner.

Has anyone any suggestions where we would not be engulfed by traffic fumes, one of the high end malls is not what I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, traveller123 said:

I live with my Thai partner in Surin, Issan and rarely visit Bangkok as I find now I am older (77) it is just too busy and polluted.

However in two weeks time we will be going there to meet up with a close friend of mine, a lady and her partner, who are flying in from England for a holiday.

She has asked if, one night, we can go out to eat street food for dinner.

Has anyone any suggestions where we would not be engulfed by traffic fumes, one of the high end malls is not what I'm looking for.

Patpong 1, no traffic!

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Patpong 1, no traffic!

+1

You might also wish to take them on a short field trip. Go down Surawong and pass by the massage shops. Plenty of cooked food vendors and attractive masseurs (or masseuses, depending on preference) along the way. If they seem to enjoy themselves, turn left on Soi Tarntawan (at 7-11) and continue to Soi 6 to complete the tour. I do it almost nightly and never seems to lose its charm.

• Members
5 hours ago, spoon said:

Icon siam 

Sorry I missed it. I see you can hop on the Gold Line going north from Krung Thon Buri BTS station. 

Yaowarat Road in Chinatown is fun but might be too intense. I was tipped off to it watching Netflix 1st season of Somebody Feed Phil though of course it’s mentioned in all guides. It’s only a few Metro stops northwest of Si Lom station, then short walk south, so it would be easy to backtrack to Patpong if not to the guests’ liking. 

I like jodd fairs. I find that it is one of the newer and cleaner night market. There are plenty of food and shopping options. Just take note that they have 2 locations. The original location is very close to rama 9 mrt station but is more crowded. The new location is slightly further from the nearest bts (ha yaek lat phrao) but I find it more spacious and might be more suitable for you.

13 hours ago, reader said:

+1

You might also wish to take them on a short field trip. Go down Surawong and pass by the massage shops. Plenty of cooked food vendors and attractive masseurs (or masseuses, depending on preference) along the way. If they seem to enjoy themselves, turn left on Soi Tarntawan (at 7-11) and continue to Soi 6 to complete the tour. I do it almost nightly and never seems to lose its charm.

and Convent road has own share of street food stands but Patpong 1 is the best option as it has plenty of seating although it fills up