reader

We’re really that old?

Even the Pattaya Mail acknowledges the state of its aging gay expat community:

June is also expected to see a surge in non-sponsored hotel bookings throughout Pattaya and extra customers at Boyztown and the Jomtien Complex, the main gay entertainment centers. Vic Anurak, who runs a Pattaya travel and hotel booking agency, said, “It’s going to be busy, though the cost of airfares may limit the number of international gay arrivals.” He added that the huge commercial investment was aimed largely at gay Thais rather than the ageing expat community. “Not many foreigners on retirement visas want to dance until dawn.”

But if the expats exit Jomtien, just who will be left standing seated?

7 hours ago, reader said:

But if the expats exit Jomtien, just who will be left standing seated?

And that is part of the problem - the Jomtien Supertown Complex business model=

farang sit and farang dring = so boring

no energetic activities and nowhere to dance with good music prior to midnight

--> yes there is the Dragon Music Lounge but they tend to promote techno dance music and no raving 70s or 80s greatest hits that were fun to dance to...

I fear that the Complex will go the way of Sunee Plaza once us current crop of expat retirees die off

However, the predominant gay visitors at the moment are the gay Russians - but will this continue in order to sustain the gay economy in Pattaya and Jomtien ?

My only dilemma is will Boyztown go before the Complex ?

11 hours ago, reader said:

Even the Pattaya Mail acknowledges the state of its aging gay expat community:

June is also expected to see a surge in non-sponsored hotel bookings throughout Pattaya and extra customers at Boyztown and the Jomtien Complex, the main gay entertainment centers. Vic Anurak, who runs a Pattaya travel and hotel booking agency, said, “It’s going to be busy, though the cost of airfares may limit the number of international gay arrivals.” He added that the huge commercial investment was aimed largely at gay Thais rather than the ageing expat community. “Not many foreigners on retirement visas want to dance until dawn.”

Help, I am suffering from cognitive dissonance.

1. What are "non-sponsored hotel bookings"? The passage seems to imply that gay Thais' hotel bookings are "non-sponsored" and foreigners' hotel bookings are "sponsored". Sponsored by whom? I'd like to know. What sponsorships have I been missing out on all these years?

2. What "huge commercial investment" is there? Most entertainment venues in Boyztown and Jomtien Complex run on string and shoe polish. Some not even on that - and close down as a result.

3. How many gay Thais have we seen in the bars of Boyztown and Jomtien Complex?

I tried reading the full article at Pattaya Mail (https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattayas-gay-celebrations-have-huge-commercial-investment-461331) but wasn't any wiser.

8 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Help, I am suffering from cognitive dissonance.

1. What are "non-sponsored hotel bookings"? The passage seems to imply that gay Thais' hotel bookings are "non-sponsored" and foreigners' hotel bookings are "sponsored". Sponsored by whom? I'd like to know. What sponsorships have I been missing out on all these years?

2. What "huge commercial investment" is there? Most entertainment venues in Boyztown and Jomtien Complex run on string and shoe polish. Some not even on that - and close down as a result.

3. How many gay Thais have we seen in the bars of Boyztown and Jomtien Complex?

I tried reading the full article at Pattaya Mail (https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattayas-gay-celebrations-have-huge-commercial-investment-461331) but wasn't any wiser.

From the internet:

Non-sponsored hotel bookings refer to reservations made directly by travelers without any form of sponsorship or affiliation with an entity that might influence the booking decision. These bookings are typically made independently through various channels, such as:

1. **Direct Booking through Hotel Websites**: Travelers visit the hotel's official website to book rooms.
2. **Online Travel Agencies (OTAs)**: Websites like Booking.com, Expedia, and Agoda, where travelers compare prices and book hotels.
3. **Travel Agents**: Independent travel agents or agencies assisting travelers with bookings.
4. **Phone Bookings**: Calling the hotel directly to make a reservation.
5. **Walk-ins**: Booking a room upon arrival at the hotel.

The key characteristic of non-sponsored bookings is that the traveler chooses the accommodation based on their preferences, budget, and requirements, without any external incentives or deals from third parties (like employers, event organizers, or promotional campaigns) that might otherwise direct their choice.

On 5/27/2024 at 6:02 PM, bkkmfj2648 said:

And that is part of the problem - the Jomtien Supertown Complex business model=

farang sit and farang dring = so boring

no energetic activities and nowhere to dance with good music prior to midnight

--> yes there is the Dragon Music Lounge but they tend to promote techno dance music and no raving 70s or 80s greatest hits that were fun to dance to...

I fear that the Complex will go the way of Sunee Plaza once us current crop of expat retirees die off

However, the predominant gay visitors at the moment are the gay Russians - but will this continue in order to sustain the gay economy in Pattaya and Jomtien ?

My only dilemma is will Boyztown go before the Complex ?

I walked through Boyztown today at 430pm, not one single bar open /trading as of that time ,no farang around 

Years ago the bars were open at that time in the afternoon 

June though in Thailand is Pride month so a lot of young gay visitors will visit Bangkok