TMax

Just what I don't need

Well isn't it just brilliant, I am due to fly out at the end of next week for my trip to Thailand and it looks like a f*&king cyclone is forming up in my neck of the woods for next week that could scuttle my flight from here to Bali, connecting flight that afternoon to Bangkok.

Now I have had to send an email to Thai Airways (in Thailand) because their Australian reservation number is offline until the Christmas / New years public holidays are over, just to query if it does happen that the cyclone closes us down here to see if I could change the dates on my Thai ticket (and pay a bit extra if needed, just in case) or will I be screwed senseless (travel insurance stand by).

If that cyclone does eventuate then it looks like 2015 could start out as a crap year after all and this trip could end up costing an arm and a leg and be delayed, at least I should be able to change all my accommodation without any hassles but getting there could be the trouble.

Guest abang1961

In view of unfortunate air mishaps in this region lately, it is always better late than never.

Who knows, what awaits you at the destination is even sweeter (the guys in Bangkok raised their hands in unison)..

Have a safe trip...

Well I'm continuing with my plans and withdrew my holiday money from the bank today (just in case I can't get to it next week), still hoping this thing doesn't eventuate but if it does I'm hoping the airline here will give me enough notice so that I can get in touch with Thai about changing my flight. Start packing the suit case this weekend.

Guest abang1961

Just have to add a line from "Leaving on a Jet Plane"

..all my bags are packed, i am ready to go..

Have a safe and adventurous-ful trip..Be SAFE and dont' over-tip cos I am a pauper...

still boys are much more poor than you, tip fair and err on generous side I'd say

I suggest tipping at or slightly above the going rate, if your personal finances are in a good state. 

Some of Vinapu's tipping is a long way above the going rate, which is fine if you want to & can afford to be VERY generous (going rate based on board polls).

I've typically tipped slightly above the going rate, which usually brings a warm smile and has the boys trying to get further offs e.g. chasing me on Jack'D, or lots of smiles and chat on my next visit to the bar.  

I know someone who tips less and still gets favourable responses.

Some of Vinapu's tipping is a long way above the going rate, which is fine if you want to & can afford to be VERY generous (going rate based on board polls).

most likely I'm guilty as charged.

From last trip  -for massages I tip 1000 / 1 hr treatment , 1500  / few times just  1200/ for 1.5 hr ,  regardless of minimum tip, once left 2000 for 1.5 hr  / at Senso /

short time - I do it rarely, 3 times last trip :

1000  /boy left before agreed time, told him he will get more when returns but he did not/,

2500 I agree I overtipped, lost my cool I guess, boy great but left earlier than agreed, my curse I guess,

3000 again way too much but I included parting gift after 5 previous long time offs and got very good massage as a bonus

long time 2500-3000 / usually /, 3 or 4 times added 500 because of great massage , still I consider this great value for money as most of long times were long 7-10 hrs.

street pick up,  2000 for 7 hrs, he did not mention money at all but took mine matter of factly

taxi money, never requested, wouldn't give in such case but gave 100 on few occasions to long timers when did not buy them a breakfast as is my habit

mamasans in bars 0-100 depending of my mood and if they were helpfull / at Screwboys and BBB Boyztown they were really /

performers in bars, 100 on departure for boy I like the most on stage, boy sitting with me 100-200, big cock show 100 for one of them, fuck show 100 / only one , at XBoys Pattaya this trip /

sometimes lip sync singer or candle sufferer 100  depending on my mood,

captains in massages 0, exception Bangkok Massage soi Twilight where I'm extracting hug from 2 of them for 100 and I tip sometimes 100 Art at Arena because I like him / and his biceps /, no hug from him though

drink at bar,  20 per serving so 2 drinks brought at once , still 20 only

restaurants 0-300, 20 baht, 301-600, 40 baht, over 600 , 60 baht

taxis , rounded to nearest 20 i.e. 63=80, 97=100

comments welcomed, verbal abuse accepted but keep in mind I swear in 7 languages

Tip the going rate for bar offs and massage and extra if they make an effort to make the experience something special. They will not respect you any more if you are too over generous, usually the opposite. And that is not a criticism of anyone here, your generosity is obviously gratefully accepted, especially for guys you have known over many visits.

Grindr and JackD guys are usually available for much less than bar boy rates unless they are really hot. Up to you to negotiate before a meet.

If you are offered a freebie take it. Hard to believe but not everyone in Thailand is a mb. There are many guys visiting from other Asian countries and Thais, even in Pattaya who I have met and would be insulted if offered money for sex. Some delicate questions before meeting does help. I usually meet at least two good looking guys from the apps who are not money boys on every visit to Thailand.

comments welcomed, verbal abuse accepted but keep in mind I swear in 7 languages

Generous tipping in all cases except the restaurants!  My practice would be 20 Baht min with a standard rate of 10%. Saying that I know many farang think the word tip in Thai = 20 Baht no matter the amount of the bin or the level of the service or the class of the restaurant.  

Generous tipping in all cases except the restaurants!  My practice would be 20 Baht min with a standard rate of 10%. Saying that I know many farang think the word tip in Thai = 20 Baht no matter the amount of the bin or the level of the service or the class of the restaurant.  

not being an American I'm not entirely buying an argument that tip size should be related to the size of amount in the bin, hence  kind of flat rate I devised for myself. After all  plate of plain rice or filet mignon with trimmings  require just one trip to the kitchen.

Injustice is somehow leveled by the fact that I'm not fan of fancy food or restaurants  and Dick's or Maxi and the likes are top of the line for me.

Tip the going rate for bar offs and massage and extra if they make an effort to make the experience something special. They will not respect you any more if you are too over generous, usually the opposite. 

I wonder if anybody when considering size of tip is really trying to buy boy's / or girl's  / respect ?

My line of thinking is: in my local bar boy will dance naked  for me at the table for equivalent of  550 baht per song, song lasts 5-7 minutes and there are 3 songs in sequence so say, 20 minutes is  1650 baht.

I rather don't go there , live chaste life and save money for LOS where twice of that amount will buy me  whole night's company.

After all  plate of plain rice or filet mignon with trimmings  require just one trip to the kitchen.

Injustice is somehow leveled by the fact that I'm not fan of fancy food or restaurants  and Dick's or Maxi and the likes are top of the line for me.

Well, for me , I can't afford 2000-3000 TB tips for short time or even long time, but can help a struggling waiter/waitress with more than a pittance.  As for one trip to the kitchen, well, went not long ago to a 6 course dinner @ 700TB and waiter made about 18 trips to the kitchen, taking orders, picking up plates, making change etc, so deserved more than the 20 TB tips he was receiving from each customer.

One time went to a restaurant with four of us and bin was 3000 TB and tip left was 60 Baht; our waiter took great care of us even pouring our wine.  I was horrified when I realized that tip and did add some more to it but still far from what was deserved. By Thai bf was pissed at me when he heard how the waiter was screwed.

Guest abang1961

OK I'm Asian from Singapore and an extra 10% service charge is added into the bill automatically.

Hence I am rather "weak" in generous tipping.

However as a rule of thumb, leaving something between 10% and 20% is what I practised whenever I visit this land of smiles.

Another thing, I really don't carry a coin purse when I travel, so I would normally not pick up any coins .. you know how deliberate your change is always in coins...

What is THB 50  to us when we can spend multiples of it on some really stupid and useless electronic gadgets from MBK and Pantip Plaza?  It is always to "buy" some waiting staff their supper for the day...

Well, for me , I can't afford 2000-3000 TB tips for short time or even long time, but can help a struggling waiter/waitress with more than a pittance.  

One time went to a restaurant with four of us and bin was 3000 TB...

We are talking different lifestyles here, 3000 for four =750 per person, certainly not my style of dining in LOS but we all have our little pleasures so why not.

As abang noticed above 50 baht buys a meal in street stand so I'd not call such tip pittance

We are talking different lifestyles here, 3000 for four =750 per person, certainly not my style of dining in LOS but we all have our little pleasures so why not.

'Tis the wine not the food that overflows the bin and tips the waiter!

“Either give me more wine or leave me alone.”

― Rumi (Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi) circa 1250 AD

post-9743-0-64901300-1420780869_thumb.jpg

As an afterthought, I see that this thread has deviated greatly from the original post for whatever reason and there have been  other earlier posts regarding tipping habits. 

I suppose that one should bear in mind that best not to bring pre-conceived ideas on tipping to Thailand whether it be the 20% norm in USA or 0% norm in Japan, NZ, etc.; and not "when in Thailand do as the Thais!" 

http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com/2011/04/02/the-definitive-guide-to-tipping-in-thailand/

I'm due to arrive in Bangkok tomorrow night, the weather system that was threatening to delay my flights didn't eventuate.

Looking forward to tipping the boys for their valued services.

I'm due to arrive in Bangkok tomorrow night, the weather system that was threatening to delay my flights didn't eventuate.

Looking forward to tipping the boys for their valued services.

Did not I tell you  ' just go' 

Enjoy your trip and we are waiting impatiently for your updates / no pressure ,no /