The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
Can you name this place? (without doing a picture search) And, if you know where you were this month years ago, share a pic.
- 10 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
All I can say is "Wow." Someone resurrected at the M4M foums a 5 year-old string (What's Your Earliest "I'm Queer" memory?) in which people were asked to recall when they first realized they were gay (in my case it when I was a 12 year-old in my gym class, admiring the 14 year-old who led us into calisthenics, which I discussed in my 2015 response). The string was locked with the following message: "Thread Closed. It is against the rules to discuss children; even ourselves." So discussing our past is child porn?? I don't think even Justice Thomas or Justice Alito would go that far. I can certainly understand and wholly support banning child pornography. But if…
- 18 replies
- 2.2k views
-
From CNN The wild story behind Lonely Planet's first Thailand guidebook By Joe Cummings Editor's Note — Joe Cummings created the very first Lonely Planet Thailand guide, which was published in the early 1980s. As the famous travel brand begins shuttering its offices, Cummings reflects on his decades-spanning career as a guidebook writer. (CNN) — The recent news that Lonely Planet Publications was shutting down its production offices in Melbourne and London almost entirely, and totally eliminating its widely admired magazine and all non-guidebook titles, didn't take me completely by surprise. With planes grounded, borde…
- 1 reply
- 1.3k views
-
I thought I would post together some suggestions rather than create separate threads for them. I love to surf the internet, and find many things I like to share here. But it's not "The Lucky Pub" so I don't want to have too many threads with my name on them. (Someone will no doubt tell me when there are too many!) My first one I will title BUZZ AND TOMMY- What's The True Story? It comes from the several websites. A picture of two very handsome guys, perhaps taken around 1949... So, what's the story? Were they lovers? Is it a good-bye note, perhaps at the end of summer? Your guess is as good as mine. Blogger Andy Towle posts some suggestions and i…
- 24 replies
- 2.5k views
- 1 follower
-
From Bangkok Post Already reeling from shutdowns brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic, the poor have found themselves facing increasing economic hardship since the government enforced social distancing measures and travel restrictions to flatten the curve of transmission three weeks ago. There have been numerous media reports depicting the depressing state of Thailand's poor. One such report concerned an electrician from Songkhla who deliberately walked towards police officers in Phuket with a methamphetamine pill in his hand, asking them to charge him and send him to jail for illicit drug possession because he had nothing to eat. The man said he was laid of…
- 10 replies
- 2.4k views
- 1 follower
-
What is your favorite color? Show a photo (not the x forum here).
- 5 replies
- 833 views
- 1 follower
-
In case someone is bored with lockdown, the Chef at Bun, Meat and Cheese is hosting an online burger cooking class Sunday, 26 April 1:00 pm. It's limited to 10 people (I think - not sure), and the ingredients will be delivered to your home so you can cook along with the chef (hence only Bangkokians). Among Bangkok foodies he has generated some good buzz for his burgers. I don't eat beef so I can't personally vouch for his signature dish. I believe the event will be in Thai (but not 100% sure). 2,390 which obvs includes the class plus the ingredients to make your own (4). Always on the lookout for interesting things to do in the current situation..... Cookin…
-
- 0 replies
- 756 views
-
-
VIDEO-2020-03-14-22-14-10.mp4
- 7 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
- 0 replies
- 627 views
- 1 follower
-
-
I loved his poetry and this home is stunning. https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/shel-silverstein-houseboat-photos-36744802
-
- 0 replies
- 640 views
- 1 follower
-
-
When we first saw that sexy shot of anti-gay Congressman Aaron Schock's tight abs, folks speculated that he was gay. Of course the Republican congressman denied it, and continued to deny it even after he left Congress under murky circumstances. Now, five years later, he has come out of the closet. The NY Daily News has his statement: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-anti-gay-ex-congressman-aaron-schock-comes-out-as-gay-himself-20200306-ayrqxj2zarfhtavdd7h7horxsy-story.html For a number of reasons, it is not a huge surprise as he was seen last year tipping a male stripper at a Mexican bar: https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/disgraced-ex-rep-aar…
- 8 replies
- 1.8k views
-
A photo in today's NY Times grabbed my attention as I immediately sought to identify the guys in the picture whom I thought were cute. You might do the same... How many did you find? If you read the accompanying article, you will get a hint: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/13/t-magazine/butch-stud-lesbian.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=T Magazine Yup, butch lesbians are getting their due or at least a start for it. None of those pictured are male. Right?
-
- 1 reply
- 860 views
-
-
An Australian gay sauna is taking patrons temperature before allowing them entry. And it joked it is now ‘the first sauna in Australia to not allow you entry if you’re too hot’.
- 2 replies
- 881 views
-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/20/how-anthony-fauci-became-americas-doctor/amp
- 4 replies
- 1k views
-
How Anthony Fauci Became America’s Doctor An infectious-disease expert’s long crusade against some of humanity’s most virulent threats. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/20/how-anthony-fauci-became-americas-doctor/amp
-
- 0 replies
- 662 views
-
-
This is a serious question. I’m not criticizing what others post in the forums. I imagine that a lot of the threads and the various forums must take up considerable space on the servers. And I have no idea what income the site might generate. I’m simply curious about the running costs - as to how much approximately this site costs to run - and whether this is sustainable by the owners. My interest in this has been piqued by the ‘other site’ where the owner seems very regularly to solicit donations and to complain about the low level of his ‘reserves’.
- 11 replies
- 2.8k views
- 1 follower
-
From Khaosod English Chinese Virus Conspiracy Theories Picked Up By Thai Media BANGKOK — A series of conspiracy theories promoted by the Chinese state media, which accused the United States of engineering the coronavirus as a bioweapon, is finding a large audience in Thailand thanks to uncritical coverage by some news agencies. From the accusations that US military hid vases of the virus in Wuhan to speculation that the US unleashed the coronavirus in Italy to stop them from using Huawei 5G network and an article written by a Holocaust denier – all of these outlandish claims were carried by some of Thailand’s most popular TV and news sites, a survey by Kha…
- 5 replies
- 1.4k views
- 1 follower
-
Due to our website being unexpectedly down, I turn to this forum to make an announcement of importance and request that if you are not a paid participating member of Lucky Orgies that you do not read this private post! Regrettably we will not be having the scheduled Lucky Orgy in Palm Springs this month. It's sad because attendance was set to be at an all-time high once we coordinated the date with the Palm Springs Weekend and the White Party. Since Orgy participants were going to stay in the Orgydome, no hotel cancellations are necessary. Your reservation will simply be vacated. Full refunds are available, although I might point out that you can use the amount due t…
-
- 0 replies
- 763 views
-
-
Most - if not all - visitors to Bangkok at some point come across the work of the man featured in this video. I usually try to take pictures of his work when I find them walking around town. I met him one night rather late (or early in the morning, depending on how you view it), when I was walking home. He was diligently at work, but when I said hello he looked up and said hello back with a nice smile. A magic Bangkok moment. COVID Thailand Aid (formerly COVID Bangkok Aid) is an organization that I've tried to help in a small way. Their focus is to help the elderly poor and others most at risk. I hope they keep an eye out for Khun Pichai. https://www.…
-
- 0 replies
- 1.1k views
-
-
For those who might have missed his inaugural post Lucky has joined us today. I want to be the first to openly welcome him to the M.E.R. Forum. With that said I am somewhat concerned and even wondering if we have the "real" Lucky. Are you sure you'll be comfortable posting on a site you swore you never would post of? I don't mean this to sound rude or offensive but this message center is for those of free thought. On the message center you know well the one where the main site closed today they censor thought. Some people are clearly more comfortable in that type of environment. To be able to email a moderator pal or create hostility due to your own personal conservat…
- 23 replies
- 3k views
-
From Flyertalk Wait Before You Take a Voucher for Your Canceled Flight Was your flight canceled by the coronavirus outbreak? Airlines have made it easy to get a voucher for your canceled flight. But, warn the very frequent fliers on FlyerTalk, by doing that, you could be disqualifying yourself from a cash refund. “After reading several airline coronavirus policies,” one FlyerTalker pointed out earlier this week, “I noticed that there are no mentions of refunds for flights or routes canceled by the airline. They only mention that you will get a credit that can be used later if the customer decides to cancel. “Don’t fall for it, the airlines are trying to get…
-
Fascinating. European Neanderthals ate fresh seafood, which may have given their brains a boost https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/world/fishing-neanderthals-portugal-scn/
-
- 0 replies
- 627 views
-
-
- 2 replies
- 716 views
-
- 1 reply
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
From Bangkok Post World's largest producer idled for last 10 days by Malaysian lockdown KUALA LUMPUR: A global shortage of condoms is looming, the world’s biggest producer warns, as a coronavirus lockdown has forced it to shut down production. Karex Bhd makes one in every five condoms used globally. It has not produced a single condom from its three Malaysian factories in the past 10 days because of the lockdown imposed by the government to halt the spread of the virus. That’s already a shortfall of 100 million condoms, normally marketed internationally by brands such as Durex, supplied to state healthcare systems such as Britain’s National Health Serv…
-
- 4 replies
- 1.2k views
-