paulsf

Bangkok for Sept.

I heard you can only apply tourist visa 4 times.

After that they could be very reluctant to issue 5th tourist visa nowadays. I know this is very strange but I guess they were suspicious of illegal work.

Also there are many foreign pensioners living cheaply in Thailand like Chiangmai without contributing much to Thai economy so they want to get rid of them too.

Also because of the recent Erwan bomb incident,

they are going to thigten immigration.

It's really annoying!

you "heard", that's what usually happens with visa information in Thailand, a LOT of hearsay and no definitive information. The 4 times my be an issue if they are back to back, but if you apply for, say, 2 in a year then there shouldn't be a problem. But again, this is my opinion and also qualifies as hearsay. You will never get a definitive answer, even from Thai immigration officials (one may tell you this, another that, or they don't know, or or or). Find out by trying.

As for pensioners, that's a separate issue and I have not heard of any issues with the retirement visa yet. Of course you have to be able show sufficient funds to qualify, so for people who don't have enough money it is an issue, but that's to be expected.

On a more general note, though, I agree that their increasing strictness with foreigners is annoying and seems against their own interests.

No big deal, I'm on a sabbatical this year and it has been easy to "survive" on tourist visa. They're easy enough to secure, at least as of now and for those having a Western passport. Next year I'll resume working, so no visa issues from then on again, but yes, I can imagine that it is somewhat more difficult for foreign bar boys, at least right now.

I hope the implementation of the rules will be relaxed after a while, and I think so, as it has always been the case. I for one like to see a diverse crowd. ;)

Also there are many foreign pensioners living cheaply in Thailand like Chiangmai without contributing much to Thai economy so they want to get rid of them too.

Even if they don't spend that much they are not burden to the economy, quite opposite. They need to eat , drink, wash their clothes and but all necessities like bread , butter and K-Lube 

Guest abang1961

With the advent of budget airlines, flying out for a couple of days seem to be one of the most logical and appropriate options. 

Of course with the haze enveloping in the area, going to Malaysia and Singapore is out of the question for the time being.  

If you have absolutely a dire need to run out of Thailand, try the more interesting places like Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh Cty and its environ.. I was "educated" of the perils of Agent Orange when I was there earlier this year...

Last night turned out to be a beautiful night in Bangkok. Seems like a lot of people stuck home with the rains this week decided to get out and about. Soi Twilight was quite busy. Not high season busy, but close. My friends were saying more boys were taken off last night than anytime in the last month. Lots of Chinese and So.Koreans out. Maybe holiday weekends?

Decided to go over to Soi 4 to eat. Wow. There it was high season. The Soi was packed. We couldn't get a seat at Telephone or Balcony. Most of the other smaller places were quite full also. We were told to eat, go upstairs at Telephone. We were able to get a table there. Don't let Vinapu see this, but the waiter said they didn't have any chicken and cashews. Ran out of cashews. But he told me to come back tomorrow and they will have plenty.

A lot of signs for beer at 45 baht. Seemed to be a lot of different deals going on but we knew what we wanted and I didn't pay to much attention .

When I got back to Hot Male, I told my friend I know where all his customers are. Soi 4. When you can look at drinks from 45 baht on Soi 4 then look at prices from 150 - 450 on Soi Twilight. It's not hard to decide if your out for a drinking night.

After a late and big meal and a few drinks, bedroom fun was not happening. Other than a quick fun shower. We got to bed at 2:30 and then I was up at 5 to watch some sports on tv from the US. My friend has a little part time job mornings, usually at 7, but on Sunday it's 9am. So he went flying out the door at 8:30. Tonight when the sun sets, I probably will to.

Don't let Vinapu see this, but the waiter said they didn't have any chicken and cashews. Ran out of cashews. But he told me to come back tomorrow and they will have plenty.

A lot of signs for beer at 45 baht. Seemed to be a lot of different deals going on but we knew what we wanted and I didn't pay to much attention .

When I got back to Hot Male, I told my friend I know where all his customers are. Soi 4. When you can look at drinks from 45 baht on Soi 4 then look at prices from 150 - 450 on Soi Twilight. It's not hard to decide if your out for a drinking night.

no harm done, for some reason don't even known to me  I don't like soi 4 and rather pay soi Twilight prices and dine there.

But needs to be admitted 45 baht for beer is very cheap considering that it is 37 in the stores.

By the way best chicken with cashews is served at Oasis restaurant on Suriwong , half block from Tarntawan. Om Yim is close second

You and firecat better stop complaining about getting old, Troy and pyramides are old , not you guys

Well Soi 4 is for those who are tired of getting raped on Soi Twilight. I understand the business model and if they can get those outrageous prices , more power to them. But I have bought 4 drinks in the las t 2 years . When I lived in BKK i used to be at Soi Twiight and XBoys 5-6 nights a week. But prices were 220-250 which I could live with. Boys Bangkok if you buy a couple of drinks and a drink for a boy and a few tips and you are out 2000 baht and have nothing to show for it.

Now I rarely ever go there during my 5 days in BKK. I think last trip I stopped in 1 night for about 30 minutes and that was enough for me. Too many easy options for Boys.

But that said not to dissuade the casual or first time visitor from going there because you are unlikely to find anything like it anywhere else in the world.

But it has become old for me.

By the way best chicken with cashews is served at Oasis restaurant on Suriwong , half block from Tarntawan. Om Yim is close second

Ah glad this topic comes up, been meaning to give you some comments on this for quite some time. Here is what I have to tell you:

I happened to be in the Chong Nonsi area about a couple of months ago, was hungry and as I walked past Om Yim I thought why not eat here. With your Chicken and Cashew nut obsession and the 2nd place ranking for Om Yim in mind, I tried it. To be honest, was totally underwhelmed. Taste was not great, and then there was one detail which I am aware cannot be generalized, but they had pieces of bell peppers of various colors (can't remember if it was all three green, yellow and red or just  a couple), which is a vegetable I absolutely abhor. But even if you leave that second point aside, the taste and texture wasn't anything I would ever go back for. 

In another cashew related coincidence, a week or two later I was out eating with a friend at the streetfood restaurant (recommended!) on Silom Soi 9 (the first one on the left hand side just as you enter the soi).and upon the lady's recommendation we ordered the (in)famous dish (she said farangs like it, that's why she resommended it, me being the farang of the two of us haha). Well, that was of another league compared to Om Yim. Much much better IMHO, irrespective of the bell pepper issue, which is presumable irrelevant to most eaters.

Anyway, wanted to tell you this, so in your next trip you can sample that one, too. 

O Gee, my babbling about chicken with cashew nuts got me being suspected of having obsession with it.

Undeserved,  but fact is  I'm not big fan of Asian dishes and somehow I found that one to my taste so yes, hardly day in LOS is passing without me not having sample.

As for Om Yim version I'm sorry to hear you did not like it but it's pretty normal , good food is not one which is good but one we like.

And sometimes even most recommended dish doesn't taste any good just because there was different cook working that day.

I will make sure to visit soi 9 place , thank you for recommendation.

When comes to food I'm pretty undemanding and don't blame anybody not agreeing with me.

I have plenty of that myself - I don't like pizza and don't consider Cola Zero and DietCoke  fit for human consumption , just to name a few very popular items.  / not looking to make enemies with this comment but apparently truth is what liberates us /

As for firecat' s comments is easy to agree, soi Twilight is unique and a must for first timers or casual, one  a year visitors. They are looking for novelty value and there's plenty of it there.

Old hands  saw it all many times and what they see is only price tag going up every time they show up but this is what makes those bars still open. They need to make money and it's our choice to support them or just let them go.

Soi 4 is for people  who like to have a drink and watch world passing by, I'm more on the go person  and it's why probaby I don't find it worthwhile. I rather pound pavements in search of my eye candy.

So you are pounding payment when you are on Soi Twilight at night. Somehow that does not make sense to me(very little pavement pounding) and since both Soi 4 and Soi Twilight are open at night only the choice I understand boys in underwear or dressed.

Certainly a difference and for the first time visitor both need to be seen and experienced. At one you can have dinner and drinks for the same price as a drink at the other.

Soi Twilight is still a very good place to start the first one or two nights of a holiday.  Just accept it will be expensive and set a higher budget. 

However, I certainly wouldn't be going there every night on a longer stay.

Soi Twilight is still a very good place to start the first one or two nights of a holiday.  Just accept it will be expensive and set a higher budget. 

However, I certainly wouldn't be going there every night on a longer stay.

after all we still have Jupiter,  Screwboys and all 4 bars in soi 6 to survey, just to name go-go options.

For more adventurous Be-High in Saphan Kwai is still in business 

Unfortunately all with caveats for the first time visitor.

Jupiter liable to have great eye candy and very high attitude. More reports of unsatisfactory offs there then any other Bar and I can fully agree. I gave up after 5 tries . Never another baht from me.

Screwboys is real hit and miss place . One night they will have a gem or two and others nobody IMHO.

Soi 6 used to be so much better. Now too often boys all look like street kids and the lighting is so bad you really may not know what you are getting . hehe.

Of course for muscle lovers there is Tawan. Been there twice once jet a week or two before some big competition and I was impressed with Bodies even if not my preferred types.

Other time no upcoming competition and overall fitness was quite disappointing.

Be High just not worth the hike and isolation of the area. There was a time 10 years or more ago when this was the area to find some gorgeous real students looking to pick up extra money. Those days appear to be over.

I can get a 3 month tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in the UK before I travel and it can be extended by one month at the immigration office in Jomtien for 1900 baht.

I don't see what the problem is if you are a genuine tourist?

Tourist visa is 60 days + 30 days extensions for 1900 Baht.

Even a foreigner who lives cheaply spends much more than the average Thai and thereby contributes to the Thai economy.