floridarob

In BKK now... GoGo bars (and boys) price crazy??

Is low season.... I went to a gogo bar on soi twilight the other night..... I can't wrap my head around their mentality of drink prices, Especially Dream Boys (plus they have a cover charge).

350-450 baht a drink.... I told them the most I would pay is 250 and they bargained down, little by little but finally agreed.

Then the off fees and the boys are "asking" for minimum tips way too high, IMO before we even know what they are capable of, wtf?

Even on Grindr and Gayromeo their starting price is 2000-3000 Baht.

I'm sorry, but I was just in Brasil and for $25USD you get AMAZING guys and AMAZING sex and if you are into size.... no worries in that dept. plus their cost of living is much higher than that of Thailand.

I love Thailand, the food, massage, and I needed a mileage run for elite status for next year. Plus I have a few friends I come to visit..... but the commercial sex scene can not last at this rate....can it?

I live in Mexico now and there is tons of free sex from horny Mexican boys that are into white guys, even if you are a little chunky or older and even the guys charging are within the "normal" price range.

I'm not here to beat up on BKK, just pointing out my observations.

I'm off to TPE next weekend for Gay Pride.... my German friend says that Grindr is full of cute guys looking to hook up for free there......let's see!   (I don't mind paying BTW, within reason)

Is low season.... I went to a gogo bar on soi twilight the other night..... I can't wrap my head around their mentality of drink prices, Especially Dream Boys (plus they have a cover charge).

350-450 baht a drink.... I told them the most I would pay is 250 and they bargained down, little by little but finally agreed.

Then the off fees and the boys are "asking" for minimum tips way too high, IMO before we even know what they are capable of, wtf?

Even on Grindr and Gayromeo their starting price is 2000-3000 Baht.

I love Thailand, the food, massage, and I needed a mileage run for elite status for next year. Plus I have a few friends I come to visit..... but the commercial sex scene can not last at this rate....can it?

are you sure? as long as I know drink price is a cover charge at Dreamboys and elsewhere.

Complains about drink and off prices as well as tips are as  old as Troy. Not to dismiss your concern but it seams there are only 3 ways of dealing with it : gnash your teeth and pay, do what you did - try to bargain price down or just give them a miss.

There's also fourth way I'm using very often, instead taking boy from the bar , take one from massage. For price of drinks you will get 1-1.5 hr massage and extras, off fee and tips may be the same.

If we complained about prices and gave bars a miss they would notice but this is not workable solution - there always will be those who at home pay much higher prices or simply don't even have this opportunities so steep price for one will be a bargain for the next guy.

And tourists on short forays may be less concerned about price than those who are in for 3-4 weeks 

While I hate to pay  those prices as much as everybody else and I remember them being much cheaper too, when drinks were at 200 complains were exactly the same.

Scene is changing with social media and much more massage places than before so bars must make money somehow. I'd leave it to the market forces. Vote with your wallet , bars may notice our absence or may be just happy we made room for the next client

And there's always soi 6 and Pattaya with lower prices, Super A or Nature Boys will not quote you 3000,  rest assured. 

Totally agree with you floridabob! The prices at Soi Twilight are crazy! I have solved the problem by doing n:o 3 of vinapus suggested solutions: give them a miss. I simply don´t go to Soi Twilight any more. Why pay 6-7 times the amount when there is Saranrom park in Bangkok, or even better - there is Pattaya!

Drink prices at 350-500 baht, off-fees at 600-700 baht and asked short time tip at 2000 baht is ridiculous, and should only work for chineese tourists who don´t know they can get better prices elsewhere. If more farangs stop paying the extortion-prices maybe the bars will come to some senses.

There is no chance of that because there are no farangs. They represent a minuscule % of the patrons and thus the Bar owners could care less.

Eventually more of the Chinese will find their way to Pattaya but then we will have to worry that the same thing will happen and the Bars will raise their prices and thus why Social Media sites become more and more popular.

Don't despair so easily. There are boys who will give the "up to you" reply when you inquire about tips expected, and some of these guys make good company.

They're down-to-earth enough to accept the fact that a 1,000 baht bill in hand is better than the 200 baht attendance allowance they get from the bars and no off whatsoever.

1 Remember you are not paying for the drink.   

You are paying for the entertainment, which is why you're not in Tesco, or even a normal bar.

Outside of Thailand, where else can you get that kind of gogo bar experience?

As far as I know, nowhere outside of Thailand has such a concentration of good quality gogo bars.

If you want that kind of gogo bar entertainment at lower cost, check out of your Bangkok hotel and take the bus down to Pattaya.

I get around the Bangkok pricing issue by staying there for a short time and setting my mental budget at a higher than normal daily rate.

2   Maybe you got unlucky on Gay Romeo.  Some of them open with a 1000 offer even in Bangkok.

One more point, when they ask you "how many times you come to Thailand ?", always give the impression you have been many times before. And therefore know what the going rate is.

Guest abang1961

Interestingly someone here mentioned about drink prices here.

I am a Singaporean Chinese (not mainlanders/HK/Taiwanese) and I do understand the lure of Thailand's bars.

If I am them, Thailand is a 5 day paradise once a year, why should the prices be a deterrent?

I save the entire year to splurge...

The paradigm of whte farangs has shifted.. it is Ren Min Bi now..

If I want to go see a show, I'm ok with paying 350b for a drink and admission. I don't see it that I'm paying 350b for a drink and as a combined drink/show price it is simply not bad. That being said, I will probably only go to a couple of shows while here.

As for the price people are asking as tips, it is a starting point. If you don't like the amount they are asking, make a counter offer. I don't see that these guys are forcing people to come to Thailand and have sex with them over anywhere else in the world. Once you are here, they are entitled to try to get the most money they can for their time, effort and risk. Either there are people willing to pay those prices or there are people successfully negotiating cheaper deals.

You are paying for the entertainment, which is why you're not in Tesco, or even a normal bar.

Outside of Thailand, where else can you get that kind of gogo bar experience?

I'm exactly of the same mind frame. While I understand motives of those who think prices there are too high for me it's just pure entertainment worth splurging and can't wait to have another chance.

I love the whole gogo and massage experience, interaction with boys,  mamasans and other customers and prefer it to lottery of social media the same way some instead of ordering pizza over phone rather go downstairs , buy and at times consume it where life is.

350 baht is acceptable for drink at soi twilight bars if there is a proper show/entertainment of 30-60 minutes duration.

What if on a slow evening during low season, and after having a sip of your drink, you're told that there would be no show.

Aren't you entitled to a 50% discount?

350 baht is acceptable for a drink at soi twilight bars if there is a proper show/entertainment of 30-60 minutes duration.

What if on a slow evening during low season, and after having a sip of your drink, you're told that there would be no show.

350 baht is acceptable for a drink at soi twilight bars if there is a proper show/entertainment of 30-60 minutes duration.

Shouldn't u check with the staff first to see if there will be show available before going in?

Like I said, kind of my observations/opinions....

I do tell them that it is not my 1st time here, speak enough Thai that they think I speak more than I really do. Have been to Thailand about 30 times over the years..... I was surprised Sat night at DJ, the doorman and bartender not only recognized me, they remembered my name.... my last time here was in DEC!

As far as other places outside of Thailand that I think are great and have cute/fun guys:

Brazil, Rio, Sao Paulo or Porto Alegre

Havana, Cuba

Lima, Peru

MANY places in Mexico

Panama

Colombia

Dominican Republic

Ha, I just realized maybe I am a size queen after all   :shok:

OP, I wouldn't let bar prices dampen my holiday fun. In the old days I was a notorious bar hopper, 15-20 minutes then on to the next. Today, if I was still going to the bars, I might make some adjustments to my entertainment activities but I wouldn't let prices spoil the fun. If, you are into big bodies and size you are visiting the wrong country and you would be even more disappointed in TPE unless a free lay is that important.

Like I said, kind of my observations/opinions....

I do tell them that it is not my 1st time here, speak enough Thai that they think I speak more than I really do. Have been to Thailand about 30 times over the years..... I was surprised Sat night at DJ, the doorman and bartender not only recognized me, they remembered my name.... my last time here was in DEC!

As far as other places outside of Thailand that I think are great and have cute/fun guys:

Brazil, Rio, Sao Paulo or Porto Alegre

Havana, Cuba

Lima, Peru

MANY places in Mexico

Panama

Colombia

Dominican Republic

Ha, I just realized maybe I am a size queen after all   :shok:

Certainly tons of info on Brazil on many sites but you mention place such as Peru and Panama , which I have never seen much about for Gay Clubs.

How about some specifics??

not a bad idea but I wouldn't count on it. After all they need to pay those guys who are trying to drag you inside not to mention those who are parading semi-naked on the stage.

I like BoysBoysBoys Pattaya system when you are entiled to 100 baht discount on off fee if you had drink already, at the same time incentive to have a drink and to off the boy / I'd off most of their boys without any incentive anyways /

Guest abang1961

We cannot be so naive ...that the salesman's tactic to lure us in...

Ask them when is the show and peep in just minutes before if you die-die must watch a show..

As for me, I rather ogle at the Westerners outside the bar..especially the "newbies"..

Alone and looking around...hmm, that is my prey...ha ha ha

I am the bait ..ha ha ha

Certainly tons of info on Brazil on many sites but you mention place such as Peru and Panama , which I have never seen much about for Gay Clubs.

How about some specifics??

Just like most places, Grindr, Manhunt or whatever the popular APP is is a good starting point.

Is a good research tool, sometimes a little out of date but sort of reliable.

Lima has an AMAZING sauna in downtown that is 4 floors and very beautiful only a couple of "working" boys doing massages and more on the ground floor. A few good discos/bars, but the guys are very cute and HORNY and many in need of a few extra SOLES (their money).... and is not an hourly/transaction, many are happy to stay with you overnight, all day, whatever because is not a huge commercial scene where they are in a rush to try and get another customer.

Is like this in Cuba, Mexico (somewhat), Panama...most Latin American countries. Is in their blood that they are hot and horny, even the "straight for pay" guys are fun......and naturally horny.

Again, I love MANY things about Thailand, but have also had the highest amount of disappointing sex here too.

Is like this in Cuba, Mexico (somewhat), Panama...most Latin American countries. Is in their blood that they are hot and horny, even the "straight for pay" guys are fun......and naturally horny.

Yes it is not difficult to imagine these guys are naturally horny even the straight for pay. However it seems these places are more the heavens for btm, would top also hv good chance there?

My experiences in Brazil would be 70% of boys are Tops and 30% willing to Bottom.  Problem with Brazil and other South America countries is that the predominant places to find boys are Saunas. Not my cup of tea and this is the same in most of countries FloridaRob mentioned .

All of these places can be fun and just depends what you like.  If you like GoGo Bars , some with Nudity Thailand is far ahead of any other country I have seen . Prague has some nudity and Sex shows but the drinks and boys are far more expensive .

You can have 3 or more boys in Pattaya for what 1 costs in all of Europe .  Brazil prices are similar and if you like Saunas and Tops you will have a great time. For the most part Boys go home to their wives and kids so overnights are not very popular.

I had good luck in Bogota and Medellin using Social Media but other then Saunas did not find any GoGo Bars but I did not look hard.

In almost all the places mentioned above Similar Quality Hotels are far more expensive then Thailand and in some cases more restrictive on Guests.

Yes it is not difficult to imagine these guys are naturally horny even the straight for pay. However it seems these places are more the heavens for btm, would top also hv good chance there?

No problem whatsoever .... actually, most of the free sex is horny bottoms just looking for cock.

Brazil is the exception actually, opposite of Firecat's experiences.... is the ONLY place that has predominately "working" guys in the saunas in Central, S. America.

Apps, Social Media, Internet and old fashion street hustling and bars.

Something I will say though, is that you will find that Thai guys speak at least some basic English if not more. The countries I listed If you don't speak Spanish or Portuguese, you will be lost in translation for the most part.

Check with the staff? Christ, they'll tell you anything to get you into the bar.

Absolutely.  

You need to carefully consider who can be believed and to what extent in this business.

Starting off with zero trust in mamasans and door men is the best policy.   The door staff will physically drag you in the bar given half a chance.

I give the boys the benefit of the doubt, at least to start with.  Many are mostly honest.  

Of course, you need to be aware of some of the dishonest practices, such as:

1  Agreeing to long time, with the intention of leaving after short time.

2  Adapting their story to maximise their tip.  For example by saying they usually get 3000 baht short time (in Pattaya).  However, if pleading poverty and saying they have no money because the previous customer paid 400 baht results in an enormous tip from a sympathetic farang (as reported recently), expect that story to become more popular.

I'll always forgive them for the little fib "you very handsome".

But as I said, many of the boys are mostly honest.