Guest anonone

Forigners targeted as police raid Pattaya nightclubs

Guest anonone

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/802924/foreigners-targeted-as-police-raid-pattaya-nightclubs

From the Bangkok Post.  Seems foreigners were taken down to the Police Station if they did not have their passports on them.  Quite a change from previous raids where falang were not really messed with.

Don't know how long this will last...article mentions Pre-New Years crackdown...but thought I should post something so no one will be unaware.

Ah this old chestnut again........of course the law has always stated one should carry their passport when in Thailand, ready for inspection by the powers that be at any time required, in reality most people don't / never have and have absolutely no problems. Likewise it's assumed and I believe has been tried and tested many times where if the issue every DOES arise that a PHOTOCOPY of your passport carried in your wallet is sufficient to get you thorough most situations and if its a serious issue that has arisen police can and most certainly then would be free to accompany you back to your accommodation to see the original document.

It wasn't stated in the article but judging from the pic of the guys in the back of the police pick up being taken for further ID checks ( and I'm GUESSING here) but I only see Arab / black gentlemen there and a severe lack of 50/60 something white farang from the US or Europe so I'm guessing that the polices' hunches / racist/ism gut feeling ? profiling were perhaps was more to do with who were detained for further investigation in view of the polices wish to be perceived to be securing the area of walking street before New years etc?   

I usually just have a copy with me and hate to take the passport as I fear it will get lost. 

That's what most people do.  However, between now and New Year's I suggest carrying your actual passport and be extra careful with it so that you don't lose it.

As you can see from the article, the police were arresting people who were not carrying their passport.  You have to decide whether to risk carrying your passport or whether to risk arrest. 

The problem is the police are obviously heavily cracking down during the Christmas-New Year's Eve holidays in their effort to prevent terrorist attacks.  There's no way to know whether they will accept a photocopy if you get checked.  The article doesn't say.  NIrishGuy is probably right about who they're checking, but how can we know whether they're also interested in aging Caucasian farang, or will become interested later in the week?

Personally, I'd rather carry my passport for the next several days and be extra careful with it instead of risking arrest.  Maybe the police will still accept a photocopy and maybe they won't.  There's no way to know.  The thing is, they don't have to accept anything other than the actual passport.

Am I wrong, but didn't The General, state earlier that copies of passports were acceptable?

During this week, do you really think it's a good idea to take that chance?  With terrorism as a potential threat, the police aren't playing games.

And based on the photos in the following article in today's Pattaya One, Caucasian farang are being checked, at least in Pattaya.  Take the chance if you want to, gents, but if the police check me I'll have my passport.

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220053/foreigners-detained-as-tourist-police-lead-south-pattaya-crime-suppression-raid/#prettyPhoto

I also disagree with NIrishGuy's comment that these checks will hurt tourism.  I don't think so.  I would think tourists would appreciate knowing the police are on the ball, even if they are inconvenienced.  I don't see much room for complaint if people are not complying with the law.

Looking at it from the police point of view, what would happen if they don't conduct these checks and a terrorist attack does occur?  What are they supposed to say then? Sorry?

" I also disagree with NIrishGuy's comment that these checks will hurt tourism. I don't think so."

Yeah because tourists who are free to soend their money visiting any country they chose to ensure they have a nice relaxing beach holiday are well known for going to places where it's possible that tin pot corrupt police men are likely to arrest them on the street simply for not carrying their very important and full legal passport with them 24/7 - or maybe a copy, but even though the government have said that's ok, maybe it's not, who knows - yeah RIGHT, because thungs like that definitely wouldn't hurt tourism at all for sure - right !?

"I don't see much room for complaint if people are not complying with the law."

Since when did people in Pattaya, expats or tourist, start giving a shit about the law I wonder ? Only the laws that suit them Im guessing maybe. I trust we'll all be stopping offing boys from bars and paying them for sex any day now then eh as hey, we really should be abiding to the laws of the Countries we visit or live in - shouldnt we ? Or is that just the laws that suit that we're talking about now perhaps ?

Guest anonone

I carry a laminated copy of my passport photo page in my wallet all the time, though mostly to make changing money easier.  I do snap a picture of my entry card showing my entry stamp.  Much easier then finding a place to photocopy, plus I have my phone with me all the time.

No idea if this would be enough to appease the police if I happened to be questioned, regardless of what el General has said.  Thankfully, I don't arrive until just after New Years, so maybe all this nonsense will have ceased.

Since when did people in Pattaya, expats or tourist, start giving a shit about the law I wonder ?

Right.  People always bring up 'prostitution is against the law too.'  In case you haven't noticed, that law is almost never enforced.  But according to the articles, the police are checking passports this week and they're targeting farang.

If you don't want to carry your passport this week, then don't carry it. I fail to see the point of arguing about it. 

"If you don't want to carry your passport this week, then don't carry it. I fail to see the point of arguing about it."

Well ffs then stop banging on about it then  -  it's like your personal mantra, often repeated and never changing and for WHAT - we all know "the law" the same as you THINK you do and are all adults and are quite capable of making our own decisions re whether to bother doing that or not without being permanently reminded of your (HUGHLY INFLATED) view of the potential ( totally negligible) risks IMHO

So yes, you're right, carry it or don't but as I and as far as I know almost no one else on the boards have ever ACTUALLY been asked for their passport on the street - and even if they were that wouldn't be something that couldn't be resolved in 15 minutes if t was an issue, then I''ll still definitely decline carrying such a highly difficult document to replace on the streets "just in case" I'm ever asked thanks not to mention the chances of it being stolen by someone when out / with a boy etc.

Which takes us nicely on to your prostitution point then - so what, now you're only chosing to follow the laws that you perceive are enforced eh, ah ok I see, just like me and the passport thing, i perceive there to be almost no risk so I chose to ignore their law ( which I'm not even sure IS a law actually about carry you're ACTUAL passport as I've yet to see it) .......so, care to move the goal posts any further about "following the law" there while you're at it ?

Like Anon I carry a copy of the main page of my passport and on the back I also have details of my medical insurance along with a line in Thai saying "In case of accident I AM FULLY INSURED - call the number listed below for more details" to ensure I get to the right hospital as speedily as possible.

For me this is plenty and if and when the police ever arrest me I'm sure it'll be sorted out quickly and with the aid of a 2000 baht bung as usual in good old corrupt and rotten to the core LOS.

Well ffs then stop banging on about it then

I'm banging on it?  I'll repeat - this week, if you don't want to carry your passport, then don't. 

Personally, I don't give a damn whether you carry it with you or not.  I posted what the police are doing.  What you decide to do in light of that - I couldn't care less.  Are you even in Thailand this week?

Ok, I've said my piece.  I won't post further on this topic.  You can have the last word.  Do you think you can do it without the snide remarks, or are they necessary for you to make your point?

Personally, I don't give a damn whether you carry it with you or not.  I posted what the police are doing.  

No you did not really. Anonone posted the article and you just provided a different article with the same info.

Anyways this has been discussed so many times on so many forums, that no minds will ever be changed.  I will not go out with my passport ever because losing it will be far more onerous then being stopped with a copy and copy of immigration card.

15 years I have been right.  I lost a passport once in Germany and vowed it will never happen again and it would be much worse to lose it in Thailand.

Guest Stewart

No you did not really. Anonone posted the article and you just provided a different article with the same info.

Anyways this has been discussed so many times on so many forums, that no minds will ever be changed.  I will not go out with my passport ever because losing it will be far more onerous then being stopped with a copy and copy of immigration card.

15 years I have been right.  I lost a passport once in Germany and vowed it will never happen again and it would be much worse to lose it in Thailand.

I agree with this. I carry a photo of the passport photo page and entry stamp. The passport will remain in the safe until time to go home. I too have suffered stolen/lost passport and I have no intention of wasting my fuck time at the UK Embassy trying to get an emergency travel document and then again at the passport office in London getting a replacement. Not to mention the aggro in replacing the Russian and USA visas held within.  I tend to get pissed as I butterfly about the bars and gogos and become easy pickings....I alway seem to wake up next day with no money !! I will take a chance but appreciate the warnings from Gaybutton. thanks. In any case a night in the police cell amongst the Burmese, Cambodian and other immigrant boys would be quite fun. Maybe I will find a BIB and knock his hat off !

"In any case a night in the police cell amongst the Burmese, Cambodian and other immigrant boys would be quite fun"

Ha i like that attitude, if life gives you lemons make Gin and Tonic - I would have said lemonade but fuck that, gin and tonic wins every time in my book  ! :-)

I prefer something like 50% of Gin and 50% of Gin / no typo here ?  /