Guest Patexpat

Copa now closed ...

Guest Patexpat

I may have missed it, but I'm surprised none of the regulars on here posted that last night saw Copa (Pattaya) close it doors for the last time.

Castro is relocating to that location.

Well, if katoey not your thing, at least Castro will change into a boy Gogo bar when Cupidol takes over the spot,

next to Panarama and steps away from Boyzboyzboyz.

Will the new Cupidol follow the strict no tobacco smoking policy of all the other a/c enclosed bars on the Boyztown Soi (Pattayaland soi 3) ?

Will this mean the further demise of Pattayaland Soi 1? With so many closed dark bars, it looks sad.

The old Xboys, the old Lucky 7 and several others long closed including City Boys on the corner, which is empty for 10 years.

Pattayaland Soi 2 not much better with old Wild West Boys a faint memory, Happy Place empty and only A-Bomb left.

I never understood the many lady boys in shows in the gay show bars. We are gay. We like to see boys in cabaret shows. That is why I enjoy The Venue show. It has lady boys yes, but also plenty of "real" boys.

I encounter in the gay venues in Thailand policy decisions I can not understand. Like they do not know what the average Farang wants to see in a show. Boys!!! I love watching dancing cute Thai twinks. Ladyboys look to me 100% like ladies. Don't see anything male in them. Why would a gay want to look at ladies, pay for going see show with ladies? Apparently the gay bar owners think that is what the bulk of us want. How can they be so wrong?

Copa had hardly any boys on stage and the few there were nothing to write home about. That and their boring show has done them in, if indeed they are closing. What about the other parts of the business, hotel and massage?

The only time there was anybody in the bar was during the show. Makes me wonder how Casro intend to make it work as their model is more or less the same but will now be in a far more expensive bar. They too are empty except during showtime.

Are Cupidol really moving into Boyztown? I find that difficult to understand, they are not exactly the most bustling gogo bar in town.

The three "open" show bars all suffered from their performances being visible from the soi. Anyone walking past could see the absence of punters. And who wants to be at a show where the performers outnumber the audience?

I remember X-treme  in Soi Twilight. I thought that the show rather good  but was embarrassed to be there when the audience was so small.

Show Bar: For any show bar that has narrow variations on the same show, once you have seen it, there is no reason to go back & see almost the same show. 

Gogo Bar:  If people go there for the boys, as long as they have several nice ones & some staff turnover, there are reasons to go back. 

While here in Buenos Aires, a buddy mentioned to me about the closing of the Copa in Pattaya. Immediately I returned to this site to read about it and was devastated!

During my weeks of stay in Pattaya I attended the Copa's water shows at least 5 nights a week. The water show is very-very unique as far as entertainment goes in bars - world wide. Several bars in that area alone have cabaret shows, but no place has a water show, and a beautiful show at that. Even the water show in Bangkok is very pale and unprofessionally presented in comparison to the water show at the Copa.

In its transition from one format to the other, I hope the water show will be held over!!!!

In April 2005 I made my first visit to Thailand, starting with a few days in Pattaya.

I stayed at the Ambiance hotel, which I found very friendly. The first night I went to the bar directly across the Ambiance, my first visit to a bar in Thailand. There I saw a group of gorgeous boys that left me speechless. After a conversation with the mamasan and pointing at the most gorgeous, he called the boy, who came with a big smile, and he told me that the boy was eager for me to off him. I couldn't believe my luck and I made my first transaction of this kind.

Hand in hand with the boy we crossed the street and soon we were in my room. He was the most attractive boy I had ever met in my life. A perfect body between twink and hunk and a character that matched it. This was my first time ever I payed for gay sex, and it was priceless!  It never felt like "sex for money" but like something so good that I had to reciprocate with a little money present to the boy to whom I felt indebted.

The next morning I crossed my boy in a store nearby, and he asked me to get together again that night, but dumb of me, i had other plans.  Later that day a cute employee of the hotel knocked on my door and expressed his desire to have sex with me, to which I obliged and even tipped him nicely. 

Now 11 years later I have nostalgia and want to revisit the place, staying again at the Ambiance, and do the same offing. But I realized that the bar I had visited at the time was the COPA,  and now I read that...  it has closed!   Breaks my heart!!  Next time I come to LAS I will repeat my old experience, and instead of the Copa I may have to settle for the BBB bar around the corner.  

Copa may have closed but nobody can take away your memories.

Incidentally my partner and I had a weeks holiday in Pattaya over Christmas and had a drink in Copa.

It was dead, about 4 or 5 other customers, no water show, it seemed so run down in contrast to previous visits there.

Guest abang1961

Remember Barry Manilow's Copacabana?

Copa was probably one of the hottest spot where some Thai version of Lola (farang Lolita)  and Tony (the twinky Thai boys) thrived.

It had a very good location and it was great for people watching. Now many years later, the crowd has thinned and old Lola (in all her outdated finery) sat alone in the bar.   

**Suggestion to bar owners**

Few are interested in drag shows, especially lousy ones.  The real professional ones are in Tiffany and Alcazar.  Diluted and amateurish versions just don't make it.  Banish the idea altogether and push your best boys forward.  Parade them instead.  This way, your business will flourish.   

Steveboy...the bar you visited was Throb. Very different to Copa. It had a large number of go go dancers and a show with comedy, cute guys and no khatoeys. My boyfriend and I went on many occasions. Copa was very different; few go go dancers and a show dominated by khatoeys.,

Guest Promsak

And who remembers Cocobanana?

Same soi years ago, at first next to BBB then onto the corner later to become Panorama.

And the charming English teacher (Alan ?) who was the manager.

I certainly do. Every evening I'd have a drink while awaiting the opening of the go- go bars at 2100. In those days (the 90s), there were plenty of punters and many of the dancers on their way to work would walk past. Eye-candy. The waiters were cute, too.

Panorama replaced it and was much the same but by then the buzz of Boyztown was much diminished. Nevertheless, it's still the place to be in the early evening.

Guest abang1961

Londoner,

I am sorry but I have to dedicate the memories of the good old days through Mary Hopkin's "Those were the days"...sing along when it comes to the "la, la,la" part.

and since we lament of the past, one more from Mary.

(remember to wave goodbye when that word is sung)