numazu

CROWDSOURCING: Advice on Myanmar - Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay

So I'd like to thank everyone for the advice in my first crowdsourcing thread about massages for the non-massage customer:

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10628-crowdsourcing-best-massage-options-for-a-non-massage-customer/

Now that the secret is out and I am currently planning my Myanmar trip this December.  I am not spending a lot of time in Myanmar (5 nights total), so time is of the essence.

I have scoured z909's amazing Myanmar thread here:

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10211-mandalay-bagan/

So I am spending

Yangon - 2 nights

Bagan - 2 nights

Mandalay - 1 night

What I have done do far:

1. I have no time for Inle Lake.  Unless this is better than the three cities above, I may be able to squeeze it in.

2. I have booked a balloon ride in Bagan.  It is really pricey but I heard its a bucket list item for a lot of people. 

3. Not concerned about doing any particular gay stuff, but any gay activities I should be doing, I am open to know.

4. The YG Event in Yangon on December 24 is a possibility for me. It is a once a month gay dance night in Yangon that I may be able to attend.

Any other good tips in Myanmar? Bring crisp dollar bills? Internet sucks? Boys in Grindr OK?

Thanks!!! And I apologize for posting this in the main thread. I want the most traffic so I put it here. 

1. you-most likely-also need a visa-has to be arranged in advance

2.yes, crisp, unmarked etc. US$ bills-if in need, beside the well known orange SuperRich (beside big C Ratchprasing) is also VALUE exchange-gives same rates mostly, and can assist in selecting those wanted bills for 5 stang extra per 1 $. Whereas many declaim this ''double exhange'' as money costing, the rates are so low its not true. In fact I got better rate for CNY there (changing into THB from EUR and then buying CNY) as in CHina itself with its controlled rip-off market.

3.Myanmar has gotten EXpensive! compared to what it was and due to big growth in tourism and low nr of accomodation etc-so do book before.

4.www is now in most touristy places good enough, nbr of mobiles is also exploding.

For MBs I think roughly the sameholds as for Camb: all best promising talents have already left for TH and its golden moneypots.

You really should try to squeeze in two nights at Inle Lake. That was a highlight for me along with Bagan. One night is sufficient for Mandalay as long as you have time to visit Shwedagon Pagoda.

Shwedagon is in Yangoon , not Mandalay.

I don't agree Mandalay is a city for one day only , old royal capitals in vicinity- Mingun , Amarapura and Sagaing are worth visit.

While I agree about merit of visiting  Inle Lake  I always warn against trying to pack too much into visit . Every place we are visiting should be left only after we start getting bored with it 

If you haven't already booked hotels it might be too late. Myanmar has a real shortage of decent hotels, hence the high prices as noted above. 

The balloon ride in Bagan was definitely one of the highlights of my trip and worth every penny to me. I guess there are several balloon companies now. I presume they are all offering pretty much the same product. The sky looks really crowded in the recent photos I have seen. We lucked out the morning I was there and had a flight that lasted about 1:15 due to light winds. The captain mentioned that most flights are :45-1:00 

Frankly 5 days is barely any time at all by the time you factor in travel between places. Personally I would wait until I had enough time to really do the country justice. Or limit yourself to two places. I don't know exactly how much damage was done in the recent earthquake that appeared to knock down a lot of the monuments at Bagan. I spent close to 3 weeks when I went.

It's been a few years since I was there. Internet was generally terrible and almost unusable in most places in those days. But I presume things have improved some since then. I believe there are ATMs there now, but having relatively new USD is a a good idea in general.

I really enjoyed Inle Lake much more than I expected to. It was cool and crisp when I was there. Being in the mountains was nice after spending a couple of weeks in the tropical heat. 

For me Mandalay was the least interesting of the places I went.

Here's a link to a trip report I did for FlyerTalk

If you only have five days then you have a perfectly fine itinerary.  I posted previously I think Inle Lake is great, but of course fine to save it for another trip.  Or decamp from White Party chaos directly to Inle Lake and get caught up on sleep there for 5 days.  You can't really go wrong, as long as you're going somewhere....  -- "Up to you"

Yangon

- Consider trying to time your visit to Schwedegon in the late afternoon early twilight hours.  Photography much improved and in the evening easier to appreciate the joyful use of neon in the shrines.  

-The day (time) of the week that you are born is associated with a certain animal, which you'll see in various shrines (like the different positions of Buddha in Thailand).  Tiny little statues of the appropriate animal can be interesting trinket souvenirs, if you have family who like those sorts of things.  (Although Thursday's child might not appreciate the gift of a rat.)

- Yes the traffic is bad, but there's a lot of fine colonial architecture to be seen -- if you find that interesting.  The ones that I found the most interesting were the not-yet-restored older buildings, especially if you can go in (such as an old post office) -- colonial era decay, as it were -- best found with a guide and good walking shoes.  (BTW - If it helps your mindset, try to celebrate the traffic - in the scheme of things regular Burmese people got the right to purchase cars only recently.  Also enjoy the absence of motorbikes in Yangon - although this too may be changing.)

- There was a time when a drink at The Strand Hotel was de rigeur.  Probably not so much these days or for you youngs.  

Bagan

-It will be interesting to hear your reports on the impact of the earthquake.  There are usually a lot of artists around (and a few in) some of the temples working and selling.  Interesting to chat up and see them working.  (Some real cuties too.)

I agree w/VInapu boat ride up to see Mingun is great.  Of course not the end of the world if you can't make it.

Probably goes without saying, don't be disappointed if the balloon ride is cancelled because of weather.  If it happens great - but be prepared it may be cancelled.

-THere's a nice market (Nyaung) in Bagan.  Nice to walk around, if you enjoy that sort of thing (as I do).

Mandalay

I really really enjoyed the U Bein teak bridge outside Mandalay.  Visit in the late afternoon, maybe for sunset.  Make merit by releasing owls.  Can go on a little boat ride.   Nearby is a beautiful temple.

If you're not crazy enough to try to trek up to Mandalay Hill for sunrise, typically people go later afternoon to be there for sunset.  It's beautiful, a bit festive and you will probably meet a lot of locals looking for the opportunity to chat up foreigners. Beautiful and great fun.

Other

I'm sure your guide will be picking out the best temples for you to visit.  PM me if you want some names, but generally go with the flow.

I really enjoyed Emma Larkin's Finding George Orwell in Burma if you're looking for a book to read on the flight over.

Enjoy.

Speaking of boat trips, I'm reminded we took an overnight boat (taking 8 hours if I remember correctly) on the mighty Irrawady river down from Mandalay to Bagan. That was not exactly the most comfortable mode of transport,  but going outside on the deck to see the sunrise over the river banks was somehow a very magical experience, despite the freezing cold and having only a (very) light sweater. 

Agree on the U Bein teak bridge, great experience with lots of photo-ops, from the serene to the slightly absurd lol:

post-11689-0-87507600-1480435244_thumb.jpg

post-11689-0-90521300-1480435200_thumb.jpg

Numazu, thank you for the polite praise about my Burma Thread.    It's a very poor effort in comparison with your trip reports.

1 Be really fussy about the quality of those dollar bills. Ideally make sure they have no folds, no tears and no marks on either side. Having said that, when you get a large bill rejected, just keep trying somewhere else, particularly changing it to Kyat at a a bank.    

I suspect Myanmar will be come less dependant on the dollar, but doubt much has changed in a year.

2 Your schedule is very compressed.

I took the view that I wasn't going to risk any domestic flights and when I discovered that the Yangon-Mandalay rail line is very slow AND the track is so rough that carriages actually decouple, I decided to fly in and out of Mandalay, leaving Yangon for another year.
You only have 5 days, but what about your travel plans for the next 10~20 years ?    Would it make sense to one part of the country this time and another part in a future year ?       I had 3 very nice days around Bagan alone.

3  In Mandalay, I stayed at the 79 Living Hotel.   Which was fine.   However, 2 streets directly south, they had a very loud all night street party.   For 2 consecutive nights, in mid Dec.

4  The hotel internet was very slow and unreliable.   However, I managed to get a phone SIM for a modest price, which gave a slow and more reliable internet connection.  However, no dates were arranged via the usual apps.

5  Shopping.   If you need something beyond the most basics, bring it with you.   If you need to look for something to clean your camera lens (for example), you can be looking for a long time.  

6 Malaria.   In December I hardly saw any Mosquitos.   I did have Malaria tablets, but didn't take any after finding a WHO report stating the areas around Bagan & Mandalay were effectively malaria free.    I used a little insect repellent in Bagan in the evenings.    However, please Do Your Own Research, since it's too serious a matter just to follow what someone writes on one of these forums.

numazu, Ya is back from Burma just yesterday, you should talk with him about recently news and updates

I contacted him on Facebook but he has not answered. I am guessing he is busy at the moment. But I have seen his pics and they are pretty awesome.

2.yes, crisp, unmarked etc. US$ bills-if in need, beside the well known orange SuperRich (beside big C Ratchprasing) is also VALUE exchange-gives same rates mostly, and can assist in selecting those wanted bills for 5 stang extra per 1 $. Whereas many declaim this ''double exhange'' as money costing, the rates are so low its not true. In fact I got better rate for CNY there (changing into THB from EUR and then buying CNY) as in CHina itself with its controlled rip-off market.

I believe there are ATMs there now, but having relatively new USD is a a good idea in general.

Numazu, thank you for the polite praise about my Burma Thread.    It's a very poor effort in comparison with your trip reports.

1 Be really fussy about the quality of those dollar bills. Ideally make sure they have no folds, no tears and no marks on either side. Having said that, when you get a large bill rejected, just keep trying somewhere else, particularly changing it to Kyat at a a bank.    

I suspect Myanmar will be come less dependant on the dollar, but doubt much has changed in a year.

No folds even? Damn I have to keep my dollars in an envelope then. Where do you guys suggest I change my money?

If you only have five days then you have a perfectly fine itinerary.  I posted previously I think Inle Lake is great, but of course fine to save it for another trip.  Or decamp from White Party chaos directly to Inle Lake and get caught up on sleep there for 5 days.  You can't really go wrong, as long as you're going somewhere....  -- "Up to you"

You really should try to squeeze in two nights at Inle Lake. That was a highlight for me along with Bagan. One night is sufficient for Mandalay as long as you have time to visit Shwedagon Pagoda.

2 Your schedule is very compressed.

I took the view that I wasn't going to risk any domestic flights and when I discovered that the Yangon-Mandalay rail line is very slow AND the track is so rough that carriages actually decouple, I decided to fly in and out of Mandalay, leaving Yangon for another year.

You only have 5 days, but what about your travel plans for the next 10~20 years ?    Would it make sense to one part of the country this time and another part in a future year ?       I had 3 very nice days around Bagan alone.

While I agree about merit of visiting  Inle Lake  I always warn against trying to pack too much into visit . Every place we are visiting should be left only after we start getting bored with it 

This is my intro to Myanmar trip. If I like it I will go for more (which I am sure will happen). My schedule is compressed yes but oddly it is not a straight 5 days. I just showed the nights I will be staying in the cities. But regardless, it is not enough time. Inle Lake will just have to wait. And another oddity, my decompress from White Party place is - Pattaya.

3.Myanmar has gotten EXpensive! compared to what it was and due to big growth in tourism and low nr of accomodation etc-so do book before.

If you haven't already booked hotels it might be too late. Myanmar has a real shortage of decent hotels, hence the high prices as noted above. 

Yeah I've seen that Myanmar hotels are more expensive than comparable quality hotels in Thailand. It is very odd. I have booked all my hotels thank goodness.

Shwedagon is in Yangoon , not Mandalay.

Yangon

- Consider trying to time your visit to Schwedegon in the late afternoon early twilight hours.  Photography much improved and in the evening easier to appreciate the joyful use of neon in the shrines.  

-The day (time) of the week that you are born is associated with a certain animal, which you'll see in various shrines (like the different positions of Buddha in Thailand).  Tiny little statues of the appropriate animal can be interesting trinket souvenirs, if you have family who like those sorts of things.  (Although Thursday's child might not appreciate the gift of a rat.)

- Yes the traffic is bad, but there's a lot of fine colonial architecture to be seen -- if you find that interesting.  The ones that I found the most interesting were the not-yet-restored older buildings, especially if you can go in (such as an old post office) -- colonial era decay, as it were -- best found with a guide and good walking shoes.  (BTW - If it helps your mindset, try to celebrate the traffic - in the scheme of things regular Burmese people got the right to purchase cars only recently.  Also enjoy the absence of motorbikes in Yangon - although this too may be changing.)

- There was a time when a drink at The Strand Hotel was de rigeur.  Probably not so much these days or for you youngs.  

Thanks for the Yangon tidbits. The souvenir idea is helpful. And yes i am very interested in seeing colonial architecture so I will be in Yangon 3 days in 2 nights. And I have booked an afternoon early evening tour around the city including Shwedagon, so thank you for validating the time I chose. And with the Strand Hotel, I have two words: HIGH TEA.

The balloon ride in Bagan was definitely one of the highlights of my trip and worth every penny to me. I guess there are several balloon companies now. I presume they are all offering pretty much the same product. The sky looks really crowded in the recent photos I have seen. We lucked out the morning I was there and had a flight that lasted about 1:15 due to light winds. The captain mentioned that most flights are :45-1:00 

I don't know exactly how much damage was done in the recent earthquake that appeared to knock down a lot of the monuments at Bagan. I spent close to 3 weeks when I went.

Bagan

-It will be interesting to hear your reports on the impact of the earthquake.  There are usually a lot of artists around (and a few in) some of the temples working and selling.  Interesting to chat up and see them working.  (Some real cuties too.)

I agree w/VInapu boat ride up to see Mingun is great.  Of course not the end of the world if you can't make it.

Probably goes without saying, don't be disappointed if the balloon ride is cancelled because of weather.  If it happens great - but be prepared it may be cancelled.

-THere's a nice market (Nyaung) in Bagan.  Nice to walk around, if you enjoy that sort of thing (as I do).

Thanks for the balloon ride warning. I will be heartbroken if it gets cancelled but it will give me more reason to come back soon. And you will get a full accounting of the earthquake damage when I go.

I don't agree Mandalay is a city for one day only , old royal capitals in vicinity- Mingun , Amarapura and Sagaing are worth visit.

Mandalay

I really really enjoyed the U Bein teak bridge outside Mandalay.  Visit in the late afternoon, maybe for sunset.  Make merit by releasing owls.  Can go on a little boat ride.   Nearby is a beautiful temple.

If you're not crazy enough to try to trek up to Mandalay Hill for sunrise, typically people go later afternoon to be there for sunset.  It's beautiful, a bit festive and you will probably meet a lot of locals looking for the opportunity to chat up foreigners. Beautiful and great fun.

Speaking of boat trips, I'm reminded we took an overnight boat (taking 8 hours if I remember correctly) on the mighty Irrawady river down from Mandalay to Bagan. That was not exactly the most comfortable mode of transport,  but going outside on the deck to see the sunrise over the river banks was somehow a very magical experience, despite the freezing cold and having only a (very) light sweater. 

Agree on the U Bein teak bridge, great experience with lots of photo-ops, from the serene to the slightly absurd lol:

3  In Mandalay, I stayed at the 79 Living Hotel.   Which was fine.   However, 2 streets directly south, they had a very loud all night street party.   For 2 consecutive nights, in mid Dec.

Alas Mandalay is just there as a means to get to Bagan (from Bangkok). But my trip from Bagan back to Mandalay will be by car courtesy of a guide, and will be all day, so we will probably go to that bridge around sunset. We will be stopping by the little towns along the way to Mandalay from Bagan. Again more exploration of actual Mandalay will be for another trip.

Any good restaurants for dinner in Mandalay?

THESE ARE AMAZING so far. Thanks for all the tips. Keep them coming please!!!

Hi Numazu, 

I was in Yangon a couple of months ago. Basically just stayed in Yangon and didn't venture out. 

Should just pick up a data sim card at the airpot. Supposedly MPT has the best coverage. Oredoo and Telenor are the other two.

For wifi, I could just pop into Sule Shangrila or The Strand, buy a cup of coffee for 4USD and get 1 hour of wifi. They are that strict/stingy with wifi!!

Here's an amazing trip report I used - http://pohtecktoes.com/myanmar-itinerary-for-first-timers/

Enjoy yourself in Myanmar!

Should just pick up a data sim card at the airpot. Supposedly MPT has the best coverage. Oredoo and Telenor are the other two.

For wifi, I could just pop into Sule Shangrila or The Strand, buy a cup of coffee for 4USD and get 1 hour of wifi. They are that strict/stingy with wifi!!

Here's an amazing trip report I used - http://pohtecktoes.com/myanmar-itinerary-for-first-timers/

Enjoy yourself in Myanmar!

Great tips gtnewb. And thank you so much for the link. It is an amazing link! I have read it a couple of times already and will be doing some of the activities in that post. 

Any other tips guys?

I recommend the e-bike in Bagan. They seem to run all day and most of the routes between temples are quiet dirt tracks, so with very little traffic, I felt safe. It's convenient if your hotel has them.

I used a Telenor SIM. Very useful with patchy hotel Internet connections.