numazu

Songkran 2017 Crowdsourcing: What to do

Guest samebb

Just asked a couple of Thai friends. They are expecting business as usual and are very excited.

I am not sure about the article. I will keep asking and keep this thread informed. paulsf might have some good info also.

I wouldn't worry about Khaosan Road, there won't be any big difference compared with previous years. That official has already clarified his position, so even if you wanted to take him at face value, make sure you read the latest updates. I wouldn't even say he flip-flopped, the poor fella was just misunderstood as per usual.

I hope so paulsf! I am a little bit concerned with the online articles popping up like this one:

post-16149-0-64573100-1490923743_thumb.png

“No Powder, No Water Guns, No Sexy Dress, and No Alcohol” for Songkran Festival This Year

This one says Khao San is subdued, but at least has water gun fights:

post-16149-0-97512100-1490923825_thumb.png

Songkran activities on Khao San to be subdued

Please post more updates for those who are there, what is the latest scuttlebutt? It won't change my plans to come, but I will need to plan other activities if the usual celebration is subdued.

I don't think people should get too worried.  The rules were the same last year.  The Thai version I saw last night just says no high-powered water guns.  Technically these were also prohibited last year.  Some people still had them.  (Mostly zealous farangs).  Regular water pistols ok.  The bans on powder, sexy dress, ice cold water, etc. all the same -- and all ignored to differing degrees.  

From thaiboy.net

This year will be the longest Songkran-Season ever. We start for the
early birds already on 8. April 2017 with kind of a warm-up-party for
everybody to get into the Songkran mood.

The Songkran-Parade will start at 17:00 o'clock in front of the EmQuartier
shopping mall, near Phrom Phong BTS station. It will march to Siam
Square and end there at 19:00 o'clock. Typical Songkran dress is recom-
mended, but not a must.

This is the route: http://bit.ly/em_to_siam

And here you find the best way from BBB Inn to the starting point at
EmQuartier: http://bit.ly/way_to_EM

Sawaddee Pee Mai
Pan
Webmaster

Write your comment here:
http://forum.thaiboy.net?80371437295595215665641

I find it fun and cool that this part of the world has this tradition every year.

​In fact Numazu, since you were in that part of the world just now; Mexico used to celebrate it as well.

​It was called Sabado de Gloria (Gloria Saturday) which is the day of Easter when the baptism into the Catholic Church happens or is renewed. Since the baptism is done with Holy water i was given by the priests to the worshippers to bring home and baptism again their family and friends.

From there the shooting of water on everyone.

But considering the geological problems of Mexico City being built  over a lake and (quoted from History.com); "Mexico city is sinking because people are thirsty. The city has sunk dozens of feet in the last 60 years because 70 percent of the water people rely on is extracted from the aquifer below. This has caused buildings to lean and sink into the ground at a rate of up to one foot a year in the most extreme places."

​So, the city has made it illegal to have those water fights in order not to waste any water. Anyone caught having those fights will be fined about 140.00 USD.

​In fact Numazu, since you were in that part of the world just now; Mexico used to celebrate it as well.

Thanks for the little tidbit worldatlarge. I just got back this morning from Mexico City this morning and saw your post so I googled "Mexico City sinking" and read this New York Times article about it. I guess there goes my dream of buying property here. Maybe I'll look at Puerto Vallarta instead.

It is interesting though that this year Easter, including "Sabado de Gloria" happens over Songkran. One of many parallels of Mexico and Thailand.

From thaiboy.net

Interesting parade. Is thaiboy.net a BBB Inn website? I do see Tao there.

I guess I am not cancelling my plans and will be there in a few days. See you guys pretty soon...

There were some brain dead morons with water guns on Pattaya Second Road last evening and it's still a week before the lunacy officially begins. Thank F*** I'm out of here on Friday.

LOL I can't wait to join the brain dead. Songkran really isn't for everyone.

LOL I can't wait to join the brain dead. Songkran really isn't for everyone.

This wasn't Songran, it was a Monday evening 11.00 pm with 3 adult males in their 30's / 40's squirting each other and passers by with "Super Soakers" they have got to be afflicted by some sort of mental retardation in my humble opinion.

The country is still under mourning period so you guys should be more respectful and not spray anyone without a watergun on their hands.

It really doesn't have anything much to do with the mourning period, there have been discussions like this for as long as I remember. In other words, it's always a good idea to be respectful.

In general, I think what you wrote is good advice, splash those who are out to have fun and leave other people (who might be on their way to work or simply aren't in the mood) alone.

The country is still under mourning period so you guys should be more respectful and not spray anyone without a watergun on their hands.

Do you guys know that Songkran is actually a Buddhist new year and is only celebrated in Buddhist countries such as Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia?

I see a lot of white farang ignorant of this fact. It's not just any festival for anyone to participate in.

It's like celebrating Islamic new year for Muslims or Christmas for Christians.

I agree that it's always a good idea to keep the water play just among those playing.

I think the people of Thailand and the region, and most certainly the Thai government, are proud of Songkran and very, very welcoming for visitors to join in.  

But most people don't realize that putting your palm together to greet and Songkran are Buddhist practices.

Some Christians and Muslims are quite sensitive and don't want to do things that are not within their religious confines.

Do you see Christians celebrating Muslim New Year or Muslims celebrating Christmas?

But you do see all sorts of people celebrating Songkran and the Thai people enthusiastically welcome them.  So surely they (the Thai people) are the best judge as to whether foreigners are welcome to celebrate their Songkran festival.  

Guest samebb

But most people don't realize that putting your palm together to greet and Songkran are Buddhist practices.

Some Christians and Muslims are quite sensitive and don't want to do things that are not within their religious confines.

Do you see Christians celebrating Muslim New Year or Muslims celebrating Christmas?

Muslims practice terrorism... and murdering gay people. At least in their home countries. 

Your argument is hugely insensitive. The Thai's love Christmas. I was here for Christmas in Bangkok and I saw the Christmas Trees at Central World. The Thai's love embarrassing other cultures, as do I.

So hey, seems the Buddhists love Christian holidays as much as we love theirs. 

Love all around! 

I was in Phuket a couple of years ago for Loy Krathong. A couple of boys made a specific candle for me to float on the water along with them, and we lit a lantern too. The Thai people were perfectly happy for me to join in with Songkran in Pattaya last year too.

Christians are perfectly happy (indeed feel it's their mission) to have non believers join in their celebrations.

I can't speak for a Muslims but Buddhists seem very accommodating and accepting.

Guest samebb

I was in Phuket a couple of years ago for Loy Krathong. A couple of boys made a specific candle for me to float on the water along with them, and we lit a lantern too. The Thai people were perfectly happy for me to join in with Songkran in Pattaya last year too.

Christians are perfectly happy (indeed feel it's their mission) to have non believers join in their celebrations.

I can't speak for a Muslims but Buddhists seem very accommodating and accepting.

It's not about believe or non-belief. It's about all humans living and accepting each others cultures. Enjoying them. Being happy. I wish I had experienced Loy Krathong like that. I am sure it is a moment you will never forget. 

I've joined in celebrating many Thai holidays, religious or otherwise. Not once has anyone commented that I shouldn't have joined because I'm not a Buddhist (or not Thai). On the contrary, it's pretty much expected that you join: When I've missed a celebration for whatever reason, I've been asked why.

News flash: Thai supermarkets have Easter eggs for sale right now. Don't believe for one second that all or even most of them are bought by Christians!

Do you guys know that Songkran is actually a Buddhist new year and is only celebrated in Buddhist countries such as Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia?

I see a lot of white farang ignorant of this fact. It's not just any festival for anyone to participate in.

Well, when the official website of the Tourism Authority of Thailand advertises Songkran to white foreigners, including having this image of a white guy with a water gun in the website:

post-16149-0-21647600-1491529736_thumb.png

then I'm pretty sure its a festival anyone (including ignorant white farang, I'm sure) can participate in. 

When I was in Yangon, they had the streets decked out in Christmas decor, but I am pretty sure they didn't know half of what the holiday was really about, being Buddhist and all. Who cares though? They got into their version of the Christmas spirit.

I, for one, am looking forward to the festivities, subdued or not. And thanks guys for the PMs with well wishes for a nice trip. After being down to most of the buildup for this trip, I am slowly getting excited again. See you soon!

. I wish I had experienced Loy Krathong like that. I am sure it is a moment you will never forget. 

that is my case but not for reason you think of.

I was in Bkk for Loy Krathong in 2013 so decided to see celebrations  on the rive close to Saphan Taksin BTS.

It was so crowded that first time in a generation I was really scared as one wrong step and fall  could lead to being bulldozed  over by the  crowd. Hastily I found way out and promised to myself to never  again attend any mass celebration including even one in honor of Donald Trump attending monkhood  

It was so crowded that first time in a generation I was really scared as one wrong step and fall  could lead to being bulldozed  over by the  crowd. 

Aren't most Thai much smaller than you are?  Shouldn't they be afraid of being bulldozed by you?