Jasper

Wearing Seat Belt compulsory from today 5 April 2017

I'm surprised Thailand is so slow with such legislation, when anyone with the most minimal grasp of physics can work out what happens when  a vehicle has a 20g deceleration in a crash.

Secondly, surely the vehicle driver  ALSO needs to be fined ?       In the UK the driver is liable as well.   Since he's in charge of the vehicle & needs to ensure the seatbelts are available, that is quite correct.  

Drivers seatbelt use is already compulsory and subject to fine.

New law enforces all passengers ( including a driver )in a vehicle should wear a seat belt.

From now on I need to check if the taxi has seatbelt on the back seat and then ask if he uses meter. Of course that's if he doesn't refuse to take me where I want to go.

Ohhhh I can just hear the BIB rubbing their hands together already from the extra fines from tourists.......and whilst of course on a serious note the law is a good and sensible safety idea on a more frivolous note lets face it the chances of injury in a BBK taki are slim considering that most of them don't move over around 5mph at any given time ! :)

Guest Fred1

How are the BIB going to transport the beach road ladyboys or the Jomtiem Complex Cambodian boys if they can't use the back their pick-ups?

How are the BIB going to transport the beach road ladyboys or the Jomtiem Complex Cambodian boys if they can't use the back their pick-ups?

the army in the deep south have raised similar concerns about transporting soldiers on patrol - in the Bangkok Post article I did not see any expressed concerns about transporting insurgents

and I assume the Pattaya BIB will also be on duty at the official baht bus "Bus Stop" points on Beach and Second Rd to ensure all the baht bus passengers are strapped in safely - including those standing on the back steps

but proving once again that convenience trumps safety in Thailand, and because of the social media and public backlash, the enforcement of the no passengers in the back of pickups law has been delayed till an unspecified date after the end of Songkran so everyone can get home and have fun during the festivities, probably a reasonable response - I mean if you have a pickup full of family and friends you are not going to speed or drive drunk are you?

bkkguy

Guest samebb

On any given night when leaving Twilight or DJ Station (sadly not G.O.D anymore since it's demise) I have to hail down between 4 and 5 taxis to find one that will turn on his meter. Keep in mind I am usually with a thai boy who is doing the hailing and directing. 

The thought of having to check for seat belts? Good lord. Would be quicker to walk. 
Maybe get a motorbike taxi? They have seat bets right ? haha

You get the impression that the military govt has decided to have a push on road safety.  I suppose that it is tough for them to deliver on things like the economy and other issues, but maybe this area is seen as low hanging fruit.  I've seen more traffic stops in recent visits but it will be interesting to see if the safety push has any impact on fatalities.

On any given night when leaving Twilight or DJ Station (sadly not G.O.D anymore since it's demise) I have to hail down between 4 and 5 taxis to find one that will turn on his meter. Keep in mind I am usually with a thai boy who is doing the hailing and directing.

That is one famous spot for taxi not turning on the meter. From limited experience, if you cross the road (to the side with Soi Saladaeng), no problems there.

I usually sit on the front seat (better view), and there was always a working seat belt. The few cases I sit in the back, rarely working seat belt. I assume seat belt for front seat is more important, as in case of crash you would go through the front window, whereas for back seats, you path would end when you hit the seat in front of you.

I assume seat belt for front seat is more important, as in case of crash you would go through the front window, whereas for back seats, you path would end when you hit the seat in front of you.

That's an optimistic interpretation of matters.    Whilst the rear might be slightly safer, you stand a good chance of going head first over the seat in front and into the restrained front passenger or through the window.   Head injuries & death are possible consequences.

https://youtu.be/M70yoV2ZizY

Also, according to this article, Thailand has the 4th highest death rate on roads in the world.    Which is astonishing when considering some of the dumps with better results.  Although I suppose a certain vehicle density & speed of traffic is required to achieve a really high death rate. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/most-dangerous-countries-to-drive/

[Disclaimer:   Article is written by a journalist & many of them cannot even handle the most basic maths, so I am not guaranteeing the accuracy]

Guest Promsak

Taking a taxi home on Rama 4 on Saturday, the driver asked me to buckle up in the back seat (which I had already done) as the police were checking.

Sure enough there was a check with police shining their torches in the back of the taxi.

There are road blocks most nights on Rama 4 but usually the taxis are just waved through.