JimmyJoe

Pattaya restaurant recommendations

Guest Tomas1576

In the Jomtien area I would recommend Natans (French) and La Bocca (Italian), both just across the street from Jomtien Complex. Yupin is cheaper and still good. For a cheap meal I would mention Dicks Cafe. They are both in the complex

There is a place nearly opposite Tukcok on South Pattaya Road. It doesn't look much from the outside and really doesn't look like much from the inside for that matter with almost like 1960's kitchen tables, but the food is superb. Have no idea what the name is, or even if it has one. Was taken there by a regular off and it was really very good.

On the whole in Jomtien it usually seems that most places try too hard to cater for everyone and end up with fairly mediocre food. Surf Kitchen is fairly good on the front. Natan's has already been mentioned. If you like American food there's a place near to Jomtien on Thrappraya called Pastrami on Rye. They also do good breakfasts.

This recommendation is going to be next to useless as I've no idea which Soi it's on off Jomtien but if you go down the Jomtien Beach road down to where the market is held, off one of the Soi's is a set of market stalls set up and a bunch of tables. Each table is set up with a tiny BBQ set into it and some boiling water. You then go up and select from fresh meats, fish, shellfish, vegetables, etc and cook it at the table. Fun little night and quite popular. Sorry I can't be more precise but I was taken there by my BF du jour on the back of a scooter and I had my eyes closed most of the way.

The OP asked for Thai restaurants. I assumed that meant Thai food??

Otherwise, agree that La Bocca is very good for Italian - though not cheap.

I had a truly appalling meal in Natan's with service to match. I'll never go back.

Pig & Whistle is OK for western food and not bad for a limited selection of Thai food.

Simon's Fish & Chips is very good for f&c but also OK for Thai food.

O-la-la on Dongtan Beach is OK as well.

Pastrami & Rye has closed. Not sure if it's reopened as takeaway on Beach Rd?

Continental Bakery has a wide range of breakfasts - I'm partial to the fruit/muesli/yoghurt - and excellent bread.

Avoid the Italian Bistro opposite Natan's. I saw the boss tell the chef to reuse the salad I'd left on my plate.

Guest jimnbkk

Having tried many Thai restaurants over the years, I find that the food in many is good.  So, having a list of Good Thai restaurants must include both price and atmosphere.  There is one that stands out in my mind, and understand that I eat Thai food probably 5 out of 7 nights during my 2 month stays in Pattaya. 

Sweet Potato is on the extension of Soi 17 as it crosses 3rd Road.  Soi 17 leaves 2nd Road as Soi 16, but becomes Soi 17 when Soi VC (which is also Soi 17) joins it.  (I know, it's confusing).  The name of the road changes again as it crosses  3rd Road at the stoplight.  (I can't remember the name.  Something like Land Department or similar.)  Down on your left is Phupaya Resort, then Mind Resort, then about 50 meters further to the right side is Sweet Potato.  It has a light green illuminated sign about 1.5 meters by 1 meter in size with colored fluorescent bulbs flashing around the outside. 

The Thai food is outstandingly good, and it's not expensive, and the ambiance and cleanliness are outstanding.  It also has several western selections on the menu which I have not tried, but have received both positive and negative reviews of them.

Pastrami & Rye has closed? I am not surprised. The food was o.k, nothing special and a bit expensive. I do not mind paying a lot for a good delicious meal, but not for an o.k. meal. I was always the only customer when I ate there. The restaurant was o.k. for something different but again, pricy.

Not that I'm any authority when comes to food or restaurants but my obligatory stop  is German restaurant Old Hanover on the Beach Road between Pattayaland  and South Pattaya Rd. I dragged at least 3 of my boys there and they were happy with Thai food there as well.

Good people watching spot 

For Thai food in Pattaya my favorites are Fra Pattaya on second road so just out of boys town, turn right and right again is a basic simple place and nothing special but the food especially the duck is always excellent, service friendly and very good value. Further away but only ten minutes on a motorbike taki is Khao Tom Prajnban 513/9 Central Road its a huge place mainly in a garden with an extensive Thai menu, often very busy with Thais, the food is good, many dishes you dont find in the more seafront tourist areas and extremely good value - would certainly recommend it!   

If you do a search for posts by 'arsenal' on Sawatdee Network over the last few months, you'll find many reviews of Thai and non-Thai restaurants in Pattaya that he had personally visited.  His reviews are usually short and sweet.

It would be interesting to compare those threads to see if any restaurant is mentioned in both sets of reports.

Having said that, I always take restaurant reviews with a pinch of salt, so to speak, as we all have different tastes; What I find delicious others might not like at all, and vice versa. It depends to a large extent on what foods we have been brought up on.