GoGo Bar Top Tips -How to Make the Mamasan P*** Off

There was 1 boy in Cupidol who was stunning but the new mamasan was pissing me off and wouldn't fuck off. I drank up and walked out. Their loss.

Now here's a topic worthy of a new thread. Other than with the utterly evil pond life mamasans that inhabit Classic Boys in Bangkok, I never really have a problem getting rid of mamasans.

Disregard the following if you have entered a bar where the mamasans are useful. Which is rare.

1 Have a selection of 20s, 100s, 500s & 1000s in your wallet before entering the bar. This always gives you the option of putting the exact amount in the check bin and leaving.

2 Try to position yourself so the mamasan cannot sit next to you.

3 If the mamasan sits next to you uninvited is already suspected to be a pest, make NO EYE CONTACT.

4 Ignore everything it says.

5 If it all gets a bit much, say something like "I'm here to watch the boys, please go away"

6 If necessary, move seat.

7 If the mamasan is pushy, NEVER, EVER tip the mamasan. The only mamasans to tip are those who stay away until you invite them to assist in some discussion. If you do make the mistake of tipping a pushy mamasan, they will be even more pushy next time, as they know you are good for money.

8 Enjoy your visit to the bar, don't let the mamasans spoil it.

Have I missed anything ?

Incidentally, similar principles may be applied to those Indian tailors who accost you on the street. Keep walking, make no eye contact or any acknowledgement of their existence & if necessary walk straight through their outstretched arm. This is important if their shop is near your hotel, as you must not give them a glimmer of hope. After a day or 2, they should be leaving you alone.

I suppose if visiting Cupidol, which had the best selection of twinks going, I wouldn't go out of my way to offend the mamasans, but would certainly want to apply most of the principles above.

I'm on your side. My big ones are #3, 5, 4, 7. Also I'll put hand up and say no, then look away, when they quickly approach.

Will say though, I have very little problems with Mamasans . I did for a bit at X-Size. Now we have come to an understanding. You leave me alone and you will probably get a tip.

Now here's a topic worthy of a new thread. 

that's right.

Similarly like z909 I rarely have problems with mamasans but sometimes they are nuisance and if that's  a case I employ pretty blunt tactics without resorting to being rude.

When accosted for tips I tell they clearly that I keep tip money for boys only, if that doesn't help i offer princely tip of 1 baht which I always carry a few , just in case.

When pressed to off the boy  with familiar to all " which boy you like " every 25 seconds' I shamelessly  lie "I like girls" even in bars I'm known to off from in the past.

Sometimes profession to like type of boys exactly not available in  that bar i.e that you like small boys  in Tawan or that you like big ones in Eros does the trick and even I may be advised to which bar i should visit to get ones I like.

Also sharp and decisive ' no' without any explanation does the trick. If we start giving excuses it's an invitation to further forced conversation , the same like an eye contact z909 mentioned.

With barkers in soi Twilight again short ' tomorrow' seems to shake them off also next day they may remember you and remind you that yesterday's  'tomorrow' is actually today, then I tell them ' I'm shy".

But again , all that is  rare practice for me since I seem not to attract mamasans as some other complainers, perhaps due to assholish face expression or something.

I'm not their enemy either remembering that on my first ever visit in gogo in Bangkok if not pushy yet gentle mamasan sensing newbie actually guided me through procedures and selection process I'd probably escape empty handed.

as for pushy tailors again blunt lie ' I'm leaving already" with wink seems to be working even if repeated daily to the same guy.

My bigger problems  are boys offed or I  had massage with in the past trying to stake an ownership of me again as my usual lies will not work with them , how you tell that you are butterfly  to a boy you offed few times this trip already, LOL.

Again being a bit blunt helps "I like every boy to earn some money" usually is somewhat well received.

I second OP suggestion that when in bar  it's good to have a lot of change on me so no need to wait for change and makes tipping easier as well.

I have very little problems with Mamasans . I did for a bit at X-Size. Now we have come to an understanding. You leave me alone and you will probably get a tip.

Most likely ability to handle mamasans comes with experience. Fact,  that you stood your ground in the past and they remember that , helps big time.

X-Size , yes. It was or perhaps still is  very skinny ladyboy mamasan. Once tipped her  50 baht and she  complained it was all in 10 baht  coins so I told her you don't like give me back , she did probably hoping I will replace coins with banknote but I did not.

Left in huff greatly offended, when leaving bar hour or so later  I waved her over and gave her shiny blue 50 bht note.

Next visit she smiled at me but left me alone, no further tip though 

My approach to mama sans (I am defining this broadly to include any and all bar staff who try to assist you in selecting a boy) is, I suspect from most comments I read on boards, not the usual.

I view them as my source of local knowledge. They do know their boys. My objective is to leverage their knowledge to identify the boys most likely to be compatible.

While I have visited Bangkok regularly for over thirty years my visits have generally not been frequent enough to keep in touch with individual boys and the boys turn over faster than the mama sans, so I am more likely to meet the same mama san than the same boy. So I want to be, and generally am, on good terms with these ladies/guys.

In the bars which I regularly visit (X Size is one) I generally welcome the mama san, buy her/him a drink, ask her/his views on the boys, and give her/him a tip whether or not I off a boy. These ladies know that if my evening is a happy one, I will return the next night with a 'thank you' tip. If it is not so happy I may not return that trip or if I do, there will be no 'thank you' tip and the tip that night will be more modest. It is an approach that has worked for me. I have not had an incompatible boy for a long time. When I was winging it on my own 'infallible judgement' I had about a 30% failure rate.

As Vinapu notes the skinny ladyboy mama san in X Size is on a planet of her own in terms of lack of basic interpersonal skills . If the others are there she does not approach me. If by bad luck she is the only one on duty then I have to make it work. This I do by taking firm control of the conversation with a combination of the blocking hand signal and the polite but firm stare that suggests that if you annoy me the death of one thousand screams will be yours. She then answers questions and otherwise keeps quiet. She knows the boys, so her answers are worth having but, unlike when I am talking to the other mama sans I do not take her word completely (she is far too focused on that night, no thought for the future) and will leave for other pastures if my radar is detecting poor vibrations.

In bars that I do not visit regularly I will make contact with a mama san if they do not get to me first and again take control of the conversation (absent the heavy duty stare that is only required with the one particular mama san in X Size). If they are helpful they get a tip. If I am happy they get a 'thank you' tip the next night. And now I have another good source of information.

It has happened that a mama san has advised me, regretfully, that none of the available boys at her bar will suit me (I am arriving late) and has then taken me to another bar which her network tells her has boys I will like and has introduced me to the mama san there, for a happy result all around.

Now here's a topic worthy of a new thread. Other than with the utterly evil pond life mamasans that inhabit Classic Boys in Bangkok, I never really have a problem getting rid of mamasans.

I did not even have problems with CB's mamasans. The three has been around for long time almost since I started to visit Thailand regularly some 15 years ago.

Now we have come to an understanding. You leave me alone and you will probably get a tip.

Mamasans do not get my tips because they helped me out in any way (I do not need any in the first place). But I do tip them when mood strikes i.e. I am feeling generous the particular night.

Cannot really think of a prior experience when I departed a bar due to the pressure of a mamasan. When I am typing this, I was thinking of the now deceased former manager of Amoi resteraunt in Soi 3, who kept talking to me in the course of my dinner.

It was annoying (maybe he wanted to be nice as I was alone). I did not tell him in his face to go away [perhaps I was afraid he would temper with my food yet to arrive.] People say do not mess around with people serving your drinks or food.

Along the similar vein, why should I worry about 'offending' mamasans? They are not providing the service I am looking for. :)

Guest samebb

I actually have no problems at all with mamasans these days. It was just this one night in Cupidol where the only other way to get rid of this creature would have been violence (which I would never do). I did not talk to it. I did not look at it. It moved from sitting one side of me to the other to try piss me off more. 

Finally I told it I had a boyfriend. I don't want a boy. That usually works in most places. Not with this creature. I will just put it down to bad luck. I visited 7 gogo bars that night. Only had 1 problem. The waiter/mamasan in Nice Boys was a pleasure. He was 24, cute and didn't want to push anything on me, just flirt. That was a lucky one! 

As for Twilight, Xsize and Classic as have been mentioned here are the 2 bars where I never get any hassle at all. They know full well IF for some crazy reason I go inside, it's to take 1 boy. They know that. It won't ever be different. Classic offer me 250b drinks now. I rarely bite. Xsize offer me 300b. Again, rarely. 

It took me a while to shake the Freshboys tout in Twilight, but now he doesn't even bother looking at me. Keeps his mouth shut. It's like training dogs in a way. 

You cannot teach "old dogs" new tricks...

in case of frequent visitors it's even handed , we know them , they know us , but newcomers may be menaced by pesky mamasans - just imagine some innocent first timer  getting treatment at Cupidol similar to one samebb got. Could be enough to cure gayness in some. 

Guest samebb

in case of frequent visitors it's even handed , we know them , they know us , but newcomers may be menaced by pesky mamasans - just imagine some innocent first timer  getting treatment at Cupidol similar to one samebb got. Could be enough to cure gayness in some. 

And that is where this board becomes so valuable. My first Twilight gogo experience was by invitation from the board member Andyy. He is to blame for all my naughtiness in Thailand after that first night. It was also the night I met Numazu. 

There are some really great people on this message board, some of which I now cherish as good friends. 

Ok, so to cut against the grain a little bit here,

I have seen a range of mamasans in girl, LB and boy bars. A few are undoubtedly monsters, but by no means all.

A good mamasan will know all their working boys/girls, they will know the gays, straight or in-between, they will know the sort of customers they normally go with and react well with. They will be trying to get customers for their boys/girls as well as sell drinks for the bar etc - and of course they would like a drink too.

Now forgive me if some of these next comments relate to some of the girl bars, as I have a longer history with some of them. The mamasans I know well will point me in the direction of new girls, and they will reassure a nervous new arrival that I am 'safe' to go with. They absorb feedback from both me and from the girl as to how the short/long time went and that in turn helps advise the next customer, etc. etc. They know that if I am happy I will return either for the same girl or another from their bar. They know that, kept happy, I will usually spend some coin and have a good time in their bar.

I am not for one moment suggesting that they are all paragons of virtue, but some are, and they are well worth cultivating.

Guest samebb

True enough.

But trying to get a handshake as a "foot in the door " selling technique to a stranger is rude, I think.

I was violently grabbed and left with a bruise on my arm by a girl bar tout many months ago. The only time in Thailand I have had to be physically violent to defend myself in this country. True, he was not Thai. I shoved the idiot on his ass. He knew he deserved it.

After that incident I now walk with my guard up in those areas. I still have some try to grab me but I am fast to slap their hands away and tell them to fuck off. One of them in Bangkok even asks tourist if they want little girl. They are pond life. I treat them as such.

And that is where this board becomes so valuable. My first Twilight gogo experience was by invitation from the board member Andyy. He is to blame for all my naughtiness in Thailand after that first night. It was also the night I met Numazu. 

So you were virgin until that night?  Amazing what some good example can do.

I was violently grabbed and left with a bruise on my arm by a girl bar tout many months ago. The only time in Thailand I have had to be physically violent to defend myself in this country. True, he was not Thai. I shoved the idiot on his ass. He knew he deserved it.

After that incident I now walk with my guard up in those areas. I still have some try to grab me but I am fast to slap their hands away and tell them to fuck off. One of them in Bangkok even asks tourist if they want little girl. They are pond life. I treat them as such.

Good that I started Aikido training a few years ago and now I'm prepared for gogo bars.  A kotegaeshi shihonage and a good pin down on the floor should teach them!

Guest DThump

This is not brain surgery nor does it require mutiple posts....simply tell the mamasan if you are approched....thanks but I am OK on my own, if I need your help I will ask.

Good that I started Aikido training a few years ago and now I'm prepared for gogo bars.  A kotegaeshi shihonage and a good pin down on the floor should teach them!

perhaps not a good idea to try to be invincible in Thai gogo bars,

trying to be violent on anybody's home turf never been a good idea and kotegashi shihonage  may easily turns to knifegashi inthebackage

I was walking down the street when a tout grabbed me. I politely asked them to take their hands off me and they laughed. I warned them not to make me angry but it was too late. My skin began to turn green and my muscles grew so big they ripped my shirt to shreds! Yes, due to gamma radiation poisoning I turned into a giant hulk of a man. I was about to go berserk but an army general who has been following me showed up so I left for pattaya.

Now a bar gave me 400 baht change in 10 baht coins in a check bin folder.... I'm turning green again!

Guest samebb

This is not brain surgery nor does it require mutiple posts....simply tell the mamasan if you are approched....thanks but I am OK on my own, if I need your help I will ask.

And this usually works... but sometimes not.

perhaps not a good idea to try to be invincible in Thai gogo bars,

trying to be violent on anybody's home turf never been a good idea and kotegashi shihonage  may easily turns to knifegashi inthebackage

Aikido is a unique martial art that teaches to be kind to the attacker and protect him from harm.

So if I pin you down on the floor you wont be hurt.

This by itself will dissuade you from a knifegashi inthebackage.

Not limited to bars, I've found that in Thailand it's usually sufficient to reply in a gradually unfriendlier fashion. First I say "no thanks" with a genuine smile, and if necessary it will go downhill from there. That even works with Asoke ladyboys, they're worse than the worst mamasan I've ever encountered.