bucknaway

Tipping?

Is 50bht tip consider an acceptable amount or must it be at least 100bht tip?

I once tip a hotel porter who help me flag a taxi and carry my luggage ... wondering if a 100bht tip be too much :).

unless your luggage had marble statue in it and when you consider that hailing taxi on Bangkok street is easiest job in the world

/ even during deluge at 4 a.m.it took all of 40 seconds for two to appear/ I'd give 20-30 max.

100 is very good hearted but I doubt he expected that much so your good karma will follow you 

Very good points, ceejay.  If the NGO’s finances are not transparent, and if the NGO farang staff in-country are living in expensive villas, and if the NGO is just proselytizing instead of providing medical, social or educational services, they don’t deserve a penny.   

My opinion is similar to this:

"There is no disputing that there are still a myriad of development, social, human rights and other problems facing ‪#‎Cambodia‬ today, largely as a result of a corrupt and self-serving government and an overtly willing international donor community that continues to fund essential social services the government should be responsible for.

However, given that there is now strong evidence to suggest instead of helping to elevate the development problems, the influx of voluntourists have instead directly contributed to some of the most dire development issues in countries like Cambodia, attributing to the explosion of unregulated orphanages and schools, poorly thought out environmental, social, and human rights projects, contributing to government and NGO corruption, and potentially taking away valuable jobs from local qualified tradespeople.

The truth, however, often can’t be further from their claims. In one example, two nurses from the US are attempting to raise $15,000 for them to come to Cambodia on an eight-day mission working with local medical clinics. What they failed to disclose on their crowdfunding website was the extraordinary cost of the eight-day trip included accommodation on a private island and daily boat transfers for them to visit the nearby island communities they will be working with."

from: http://riverqueencambodia.blogspot.com/2016/06/ (however not written by the blog author, but copied from elsewhere)

When i say ngo, of course u need to investigate before you devote your money to one of them. My usual choices were those who always go volunteering in natural disaster area like Mercy malaysia, the few medical related ngo, like Makna (malaysia cancer ngo), PT foundation, ngo in malaysia that supports awareness of aids and safe sex among lgbt. There are many others that i believe still worth to show your support to them. And most of the ones i mentioned are recognised body by the gov, and always made their account available to the public.

When it comes to charity I have found that the best way is to personally support a person or persons in need.

I have a pal from Babylon whose "bf" works long hours as security guard for very little pay and has HIV.  He has bought him smartphone, bicycle and who knows what more, and periodically sends the "bf" money.  

This has NO overhead in salaries, western accommodations and transportation, advertising.

And in a country like here the US, the way to follow the Christian mandate and care for fellow humans is to support the progressive liberal ideology of having the government care for the needy, and strongly fight the impositions of the ugly right that think people need to "earn" their help.  How much have Trump's children earned what they have?

Quote by Christian PFC

The truth, however, often can’t be further from their claims. In one example, two nurses from the US are attempting to raise $15,000 for them to come to Cambodia on an eight-day mission working with local medical clinics. What they failed to disclose on their crowdfunding website was the extraordinary cost of the eight-day trip included accommodation on a private island and daily boat transfers for them to visit the nearby island communities they will be working with."

$15,000 for two nurses making an eight day trip to a third world country?  I spend a little over $2,000 making a 14 day trip to BKK, and if I would buy plenty of sex make this $3,000.

What can two nurses accomplish in only a few days?  Maybe they have a divine touch that cures by contact? Wouldn't $15,000 be better spent in equipment and medicines?

When it comes to charity I have found that the best way is to personally support a person or persons in need.

This is what I think as well as 100% of donation goes to a needy but only problem with this approach is that we don't even  know most of those people in need  exist specially when on short term visit.  Even in Bangkok sometimes few steps from busy and wordly streets there's another world. Enough to mention Klong Toey slum, not that far from all that  Silom glamour.

Another point on the disabled beggar / NGO / donations subject.

When you give money to a disabled beggar, there is no long-term benefit for society. It buys him a meal, but the next day he is at the same point.

Things that really improve the lives of many would be investment in infrastructure (electricity, water, roads). A lot of time is wasted in traffic jams in Bangkok. On my recent trip in Myanmar I saw emergency lighting and generators everywhere in Yangon. If that money (that individuals spend to have emergency lighting powered by generators in their house) was spent on the electricity network, everyone could have reliable electricity.

In 2012 (?) I saw a boy's room not far from my room. He paid 200 THB per day, which makes 6000 per month, whereas I paid 4500 per month, and my room was three times as big, nicer, had a window and private bathroom. The boy's problem was that he first cannot calculate the savings, and second does not have 4500 for deposit, and subsequently 4500 each month to pay rent at the begin of the month.

I have read similar about water and electricity, and can generalize that the poor often have to pay more for the same service.

Or education. But in many cases there is lack of mental capacity, you can teach a stupid person with the best teachers and offer him high awards, but if the brain can't process the information it is all in vain, and teaching is a long-term commitment, we are looking at years between the effort or learning something and having a better life as a result, many locals don't think that far in advance.

Guest samebb

There is a disabled begger in Jomtien Complex. The one leg guy. 
One of the bar owners told me he actually had a new prosthetic leg in his brand new car parked around the corner, which he drives home to his big shiny new condo. 

Think twice before throwing your money at tricksters. 

There is a disabled begger in Jomtien Complex. The one leg guy. 

One of the bar owners told me he actually had a new prosthetic leg in his brand new car parked around the corner, which he drives home to his big shiny new condo. 

Think twice before throwing your money at tricksters. 

Since immemorial times there have been stories going around about poor beggars who at quitting time pick up their rugs and limp "around the corner" and then walk to their cars and drive to their houses. It is up to you to give credibility to these stories, since none of us will stalk a beggar to see if he is really authentic.  It must happen, but how often is anyone's guess.  And if it happens, this is not worse than assaults to banks with deadly weapons, and the karma of the guy is not worse than that of Thai politicians and policemen who take bribes.

Think twice before letting cynicism get in the way of your gestures of generosity, because such generosity is good for your soul, regardless of where that little money will go. Be selfish instead of trying to be a champion for "justice".

Another point on the disabled beggar / NGO / donations subject.

When you give money to a disabled beggar, there is no long-term benefit for society. It buys him a meal, but the next day he is at the same point.

Things that really improve the lives of many would be investment in infrastructure (electricity, water, roads). A lot of time is wasted in traffic jams in Bangkok. On my recent trip in Myanmar I saw emergency lighting and generators everywhere in Yangon. If that money (that individuals spend to have emergency lighting powered by generators in their house) was spent on the electricity network, everyone could have reliable electricity.

In 2012 (?) I saw a boy's room not far from my room. He paid 200 THB per day, which makes 6000 per month, whereas I paid 4500 per month, and my room was three times as big, nicer, had a window and private bathroom. The boy's problem was that he first cannot calculate the savings, and second does not have 4500 for deposit, and subsequently 4500 each month to pay rent at the begin of the month.

I have read similar about water and electricity, and can generalize that the poor often have to pay more for the same service.

Or education. But in many cases there is lack of mental capacity, you can teach a stupid person with the best teachers and offer him high awards, but if the brain can't process the information it is all in vain, and teaching is a long-term commitment, we are looking at years between the effort or learning something and having a better life as a result, many locals don't think that far in advance.

Points well made.  And even with lack of mental capacity, it is more effective to teach the poor some trades that allow them to maintain themselves than to throw money at them.

But in the US these simple principles are exploited by the Republican elite to justify cutting the funds for helping the disenfranchised and disabled, while doing little to support public education.