bucknaway

Bitcoin in Pattaya

I have a Thai friend that works in a hotel. During my last visit we talked a little about bitcoin. When I got home he asked me more questions about bitcoin. I setup a wallet for him and put a few hundred baht of bitcoin in his wallet. Over time it has grown and now he wants to buy more on his own. Is there anyone in Pattaya that buys and sells Bitcoin?

I have a friend that dies but he is only in pattaya on a whim at times and I think it would difficult to meet when he has baht to invest.

If you have any helpful info please private message me.

CDNMatt over on Sawatdee is your go to man all re that I'm guessing.

Has it been established that he's even real? And with that I don't mean that he might be virtual, as Bitcoin is, but rather fake, as a street market Rolex is.

And just to add my two satoshi worth of personal opinion, the OP's friend must be barking mad if he wants to buy bitcoins right now. Having bought some when the price was much lower and holding on to them is another story, but at the current price level? Pure madness!

you're right re the real thing or not although whether his life story is fully accurate or not I dont disbelieve that he has more than half an idea about what he's talking about when it comes to I.T and bitcoin etc ( but I could be 100% wrong there of course) so like all and any investment advice the invester should take suitable care to make sure he's happy of the source of his info I guess. 

And re the "madness" to buy bitcoin just now etc, I guess it is - unless it keeps rising as it is ( and from the little I know about it that no one steals it out of your online wallet) - saying that I think everyone accepts that the current bubble HAS to pop at some point, the only question there then is "when" and if you've been smart enough to get in and out again before that happens.  But if ANY of us knew that info we would of course be VERY rich men indeed.

Personally I agree with you and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole right now as the risks are so great, but I guess if you like a gamble depending on the amount you invest that's about as big a turn of the roulette wheel as you can get out there just now.

yes it looks crazy right now, but so did it when it rose from $5 to $500, then on to 1000, 3000, 5000, .... 

as for 

[...] and from the little I know about it that no one steals it out of your online wallet [...]

you are wrong about that. Bitcoin DO get stolen, and lost in other strange ways, like crashes of exchanges, which are a rather frequent occurrence. A friend of mine lost 1000 bitcoin in one such crash several years ago (when they weren'n worth THAT much, but still a meaningful value even back then). They're only virtual after all.

Latest theft story just today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42275523

I setup a wallet for him and put a few hundred baht of bitcoin in his wallet.

Do you mean real wallet? (For now it should be whole hard drive or even separate comp - normal wallet takes over 140 Gb of disk space) Or just a account "wallet" on some "online provider"? 

Tell him to read about Dutch tulip bulbs, the Southsea company and the 2000 tech bubble first. Investing, or more accurately, in the case of Bitcoin, speculation is something that should only be tried after learning about the subject.

Bitcoin is a get another speculative bubble.

Also, suggest he only speculates with what he can afford to lose. The value of this could go to zero & losses in excess of 95% seem likely when it blows up.

If hotel staff are asking about it, the crash must be near. Ideally he would realise that.

I'll tell him that a gay message board want to give him investment advice

well he asked you for advice, and you asked a gay message board, so I don't see why you are getting your knickers in a twist

perhaps he should try mining a few bitcoin - surely the hotel computer network has a few spare processor cycles available and I am sure they wouldn't notice the sudden surge in their electricity bill

bkkguy

I've had money in cryptocurrencies since about 2012, made a few mistakes selling early and re-buying too high. I would be a multi-millionaire if I had of just held on to it all, but hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

BTC and XMR are the only two i hold onto now, It's an interesting investment/gamble, but very high risk.

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

I don't envy problems rich people have

Envy is also something I try to avoid.   However, I'd rather have the "problem" of looking after some money than having almost none, as we see with some of the guys we meet in Thailand.

There is, of course a sweet spot with this.   If Jeff Bezos turned up in Sunee Plaza, the media would be onto it.  Whilst most board members have no such problems.