reader

World's second larget Starbucks

From Coconuts Bangkok

starbucks-central-world7.jpg

Starbucks’ new, much-heralded policy of allowing people to chill in their stores whether they’re customers or not isn’t the only big news out of the US-based coffee giant this week.

They’ve also opened what’s being called their “second-largest” store in the world yesterday, and it’s right here in Bangkok.

The brand new store — dubbed the second-largest by the mall’s PR team —  is located on the first floor of CentralWorld and features a co-working space and two meeting rooms. It looks nearly as neat as the world’s largest Starbucks, in Shanghai, which stretches over some 2,694 square meters.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/bangkok-gets-second-largest-starbucks-world-photos/

looks classy

I may visit it next time I'm there as there's close connection between Starbucks, me and this forum i.e. I never patronized Starbucks in my life until I met one of our members who suggested we have coffee in the place, my only time ever in that chain 

Having a coffee, croissant & doing a little reading is one of the more pleasant things to do during the daytime.

Even if walking around sightseeing, eventually it's good to rest the legs.

However, I'm not at all keen on Starbucks allowing non customers to use the facilities.   If I'm paying for a coffee, I expect a comfortable armchair & don't want that occupied by non-customers.  Also in places like Pattaya, there is already a bit of a problem with cheapskate customers occupying certain food chains, making lots of noise & not buying anything,   Typically people from India.

I expect to have a seat & prefer a quiet environment.    I also don't expect to subsidize non-customers, as the price paid for the coffee is also to cover the overhead for the premises.

There were issues some years ago of people using starbucks or similar as space for working or studying, e.g. a group of people buying one cup of coffee (for each for for the entire group) and then occupying the space for hours.

if somebody did it at Foodland Patpong I would be upset but at Starbucks they can have  their space for as long as they want

Guest abang1961

One of the worst things that can happen to a new joint is it becomes the hottest Facebook check-in.

OK once the euphoria dies.

But nowadays, every other person just elevate his/her status to BLOGGER.

Taking pics, videos for their youtube channel.

PRC Bashing and avoidance/annoyance

After Trump-Kim meeting in mid-Jun, that hotel sign outside St.Regis becomes a must.

Capella which is in Sentosa is also another prime target.

Back to this Starbucks..

Based on the photos, the place looks posh but it looks more like a shared-work station/office to me.

I understand Starbucks tried their very best to salvage that BLACK man incident but how are able to recover the daily operation cost -rental, utilities, labor, maintenance?    

Imagine

a horde of teenagers occupy the group table for 8 hours with only 1 purchase

a company conducts their weekly meeting there, with only 1 purchase

worst... busloads of Chinese mainlanders, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Taiwanese, Hongkongers taking selfies/ weflies without buying more than 1 drink!

How many forum users will go there - I know there are many other local brands in the same building!

Interesting to note many posters seem to be concerned about Starbucks economics and the coffee seller being used by customers using space, internet, etc and freeloading with one drink...

Starbucks didn’t become a world beverage behemoth by being a charity. I more than suspect they have the economics down to the last baht.

Guest abang1961

OK instead of being "negative", I would encourage this place to be the point of convergence of handsome, upper-class, better-educated gays  Well, that means we are having a new sit-watch-drool-meet/meat-place! Viola for the best of both world - some HOT to wrap your palms around (I am talking about that cup of beverage!) and many HOT men to ogle at.  

Heaven, I'm in heaven..

OK instead of being "negative", I would encourage this place to be the point of convergence of handsome, upper-class, better-educated gays  

I rather meet handsome , lower -class, brown skinned somewhat educated Issan boys who will be willing to share a night with me without any fuss and pretense.   

I remember seeing a signboard that says "tourist meeting point" at one of the starback in platinum shopping center. I guess we need another sign that says "horny farang / asian boys meeting point" install here as well

Guest abang1961

I rather meet handsome , lower -class, brown skinned somewhat educated Issan boys who will be willing to share a night with me without any fuss and pretense.   

Vinapu, we do defer in taste and quality in a lot of things.T

oo each his own.

Your meat - my poison.

Unlike you, I don't need them as bed-warmers!

Being a South-East Asian, I do NOT have to travel to Thailand to look at people of color, they are everywhere- in all shades.

I prefer to watch gorgeous guys with smooth skin and a complexion like Chinese beancurd. 

Their elegant demeanor as they maneuver themselves is something to a peasant can never learn unless he is Eliza Do-able!

Let all of us (just) have a good time in Thailand regardless of our taste, needs, time, companion and budget. Wink!

I cant stand Starbucks in the UK or USA. The stores I have visited seem boring and the service as bad. But in Thailand it is a different matter altogether. I find the atmosphere in most Starbucks outlets very pleasant. The coffee is OK although a bit pricey, but the baristas are always smiling and good looking (especially the guys!) and the relatively young clientele offers great eye candy. If there is a group of cute students at the next table lingering over their drinks whilst working on computers, who am I to complain? I am perfectly happy also to spend a long time over my drink enjoying the view!

If there is a group of cute students at the next table lingering over their drinks whilst working on computers, who am I to complain? I am perfectly happy also to spend a long time over my drink enjoying the view!

Beauty of Bangkok is that such a view can be had for free almost everywhere

I remember seeing a signboard that says "tourist meeting point" at one of the starback in platinum shopping center. I guess we need another sign that says "horny farang / asian boys meeting point" install here as well

Going back about 5 years, sitting at one of the coffee outlets in Silom Complex was a good way to figure out which lads were cruising. 

In recent years, I've not picked anyone up there. Maybe it's another effect of those damn phones ?

As for the coffee, I tend to spread my coffee drinking around. Starbucks, True, Au Bon Pain & quite a few independents, such as Gafae in Pattaya.    

Incidentally, I rarely visit coffee shops with boys.  This can result in a boy who is unfamiliar with the shop ordering some fancy top of the range drink covered in cream & all sorts of tat, which he then decides he doesn't like.