TMax

My June trip

No sorry but I don't do saunas, thought about it once but just not for me

Yes I can understand you I know there are many qute boys at Babylon but never went there because the souna scene is making me uncomfortable and embarrassing it's not for me either.

Took in a couple of the museums, finally managed to get to Museum Siam and out to the Air-force museum, in time getting to the air-force museum will be so easy as the BTS is being extended out past there and one of the stops will be at the front of the museum.

How do you transport yourself in Bangkok to locations that aren't close to a BTS station?

I normally don't go far, stay near Silom because basically all I do is massage and in the night (gogo) bars. Everything I need is in walking distance from my hotel.

But I had to meet a Vietnamese friend at his place and I tried two motorbike taxis to get there, I even showed them the location in Google maps and they had no idea.  Looked also to me that they couldn't read a map. It wasn't far from Silom at all. They refused me as a client: "don't know".

So I am now wondering how other people transport themselves. If motorbike taxi drivers don't even know locations 5 minutes away from their present location, then how do you get to a museum that isn't close to a BTS station? Your taxi driver always knows where to go? I just had bad luck with my choice?

Some of the places I go by the river boats and walk up from the pier (usually only a short walk), for the airforce museum BTS to Mo Chit then a taxi the rest of the way, most places I go are fairly close to BTS or MRT though. National museum and Museum Siam I go by BTS to Saphan Thaksin, walk down to the pier and then by boat, they should tell you which piers to get off for those museums. I know many don't like it but I like the Chao Phraya tourist boat, costs more but from 09:00 until 17:30 you can get on and off as much as you like on the same ticket. Getting to Nine Spa was a laugh, I had printed out their instructions for the mocy driver but he got lost following them

Well the smart thing is to get your taxi to Makkasan and hop on that airport express...Cheap and reliable

Agree that the train is a great alternative. Airport Rail link has dropped the Swampy express service but the local will get you there in about 25 minutes or so with four stops in between. At 6pm. expect it to be packed so if you're not traveling light if may be a struggle.

Think you're better off to start journey by 4p.m. or after 7p.m. (if schedule permits). And if you're going to take the train, getting on the MRT at Silom and transferring at Makkasan will be faster than taxi. MRT has frequent, rapid service.

Link to interactive map below: http://bangkok.com/airport-rail-link.htm

BTS-map.png

That was my problem, had two bags (main bag and carry on bag) so not traveling light for the BTS and at that time the trains would have been packed, also with the traffic it would have taken ages to get to Makkasan or anywhere for that matter. I normally take a morning flight and head to the airport around 04:30 but this time opted for a later flight

I had to meet a Vietnamese friend at his place and I tried two motorbike taxis to get there, I even showed them the location in Google maps and they had no idea.  Looked also to me that they couldn't read a map. It wasn't far from Silom at all. They refused me as a client: "don't know".

So I am now wondering how other people transport themselves. If motorbike taxi drivers don't even know locations 5 minutes away from their present location, then how do you get to a museum that isn't close to a BTS station? Your taxi driver always knows where to go? I just had bad luck with my choice?

I do not think it was bad luck. It was the fact that very few Thais are able to read a map even when it is in Thai. Those who can seem incapable of communicating the information on a map to other Thais. It is just a national trait. 

Assuming you can read a map, getting around is not difficult. But it does require you to do two quite simple things. Get your hotel to write the name of your destination as clearly as possible in Thai. Then all you need do is learn four very short Thai phrase - turn left, turn right, straight ahead and stop here please. You then become the navigator.

If that is too much trouble, locate the nearest hotel or large office building and have your hotel write that in Thai. There is a very good chance a motorcycle driver will know that location. You then get very close to your destination and only require a shortish walk from there.

I do not think it was bad luck. It was the fact that very few Thais are able to read a map even when it is in Thai. Those who can seem incapable of communicating the information on a map to other Thais. It is just a national trait. 

Assuming you can read a map, getting around is not difficult. But it does require you to do two quite simple things. Get your hotel to write the name of your destination as clearly as possible in Thai. Then all you need do is learn four very short Thai phrase - turn left, turn right, straight ahead and stop here please. You then become the navigator.

If that is too much trouble, locate the nearest hotel or large office building and have your hotel write that in Thai. There is a very good chance a motorcycle driver will know that location. You then get very close to your destination and only require a shortish walk from there.

Thanks. I will go for the second option. Good to read how other people get around in Bangkok. Motorbike taxi drivers are useless.

Using Grab Taxi is a great option for hard to find places. You can enter the address into their app. This will show up on the drivers map on his phone, and no conversation is needed. I use Grab 2-3 times a day and rarely have an issue finding anything.