Boy69

Patong scene in Phuket is dead ?

Plenty of venues, few customers....but that was also true back in 1997, when I made my first visit and was comparing it to Pattaya. I've seen Youtube footage of a busy scene but it seems to be limited to the high season. As ichigo says, plenty of gay massage joints.  Choose carefully! 

Last time I went was in October 2017 and I found it good enough for a few days (report on my blog). Sure prices are high but it is still possible to find affordable accomodation and restaurants - except for transportation. And at least there is still a gay area remaining - something more and more difficult to find in Thailand now.

All true. The cartel run by the baht-bus equivalent - 200bht for even the shortest journey- will make anyone miss Pattaya. Patong seems to attract more young couples- straight ones- than Pattaya.

Boy69 will find better beaches in Krabi but most of them require a boat trip. No gay scene. P and I have  been five times; we always seem to be the only gays in the village...Aonang, that is. Not that this has been a problem. 

6 hours ago, Boy69 said:

You are right last time I was on August 2017, paradise complex was a ghost town, the beaches were dirty and everything is overpriced. I doubt will ever come back .My next trip will probably go to Krabi instead.

Even with the over pricing, at least Patong Beach does have Paradise Complex (I'm assuming at least a couple of the bars are still open).

Krabi, ie Ao Nang beach has no gay bars at all.   There is a little street with about 10 girlie bars, but nothing for us. 

The most interesting option is 1 or 2 mixed massage shops, which include male staff.    Even there I wasn't impressed, as the masseur wanted 1000 baht for hand relief only.   When I declined, he swapped with a slightly less mercenary masseur.     [Elsewhere, masseurs in mixed massage shops are normally after 5~600 for such a service & often undress as well]

I know that there is no gay scene in Krabi but I don't care I go  for the nice beaches short trip by boat from Ao Nang and the relax atmosphere there . Patong was for me in past ideal destination because the gay beach part with many attractive boys years ago  much better than Pattaya and the lively Paradise Complex with many gay bars, guesthouses and restaurants but that was many years ago I was shocked in my last visit on August 2017 (after some years of absence) to see how dramatically  declined .

The shopping improved when a new mall opened a few years ago... but I can't think of other improvements between my first and last visits- 1997 and 2017. Anyone seeking a commercial sex scene (including via apps)  should stay in Pattaya. As far as are beaches are concerned, Krabi is a good bet. Temples and culture? the north - Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai- or Bangkok.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, Travellerdave said:

a gay sex tourist. He had 3 weeks in Thailand, starting in Pattaya, but travelled to Phuket intending to have a week there. After two nights he returned to Pattaya,.

This is exactly what I ended up doing three years ago. Thought I'd give Phuket a try, ended up back in Pattaya after three days in Phuket. I was glad airfare were cheap, compared to my home country, so I could just pick up and leave earlier than planned.