CurtisD

We Travel Again

9 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

I think most of them just want to travel, and aren't very picky.  Their well-traveled friends have gone to these places and posted on Facebook, so travel-envy kicks in.  I know a bunch of Thai and Laos "working" guys who have gone to Vietnam just with their friends, so it clearly has attractions for them, including being inexpensive.  Freelancers regularly go to Singapore and KL (and China of course), so those places are always on the Facebook radar screen.  I think fewer go/or get taken to the Philippines.  

Personally, when I go to be tourist in one of the Myanmar-Laos-Cambodia-Thaland-Vietnam countries, I prefer to bring guy from that country, so I have local guide/interpreter of sorts and they usually enjoying showing off their home countries (and often their homes).  But they all love Singapore and Bali.  (Recently I took someone to western Java, and he liked it.  But I think he just likes to travel.)

you are clearly on the roll with that comment.

( my underscore in quotation), any trip for them , even few days foray outside of city where they are working is welcomed distraction and chance  to break daily routine. Most of those guys don't have much money for leisure travel and are lucky if they get more than 2-3 days off per month.

Wherever we take guys with us we should be prepared that they will share our interest in the place only to a certain degree unless it'll be their home country and even say Cambodian guy  taken to Cambodia likely will long more to see his family and friends than Angkor Wat or Preah Vihar.

So we should be prepared to give them their freedoms at least at some time during day but be firm with what we want to explore at that time , with guy in tow or not.

17 minutes ago, vinapu said:

you are clearly on the roll with that comment.

( my underscore in quotation), any trip for them , even few days foray outside of city where they are working is welcomed distraction and chance  to break daily routine. Most of those guys don't have much money for leisure travel and are lucky if they get more than 2-3 days off per month.

Wherever we take guys with us we should be prepared that they will share our interest in the place only to a certain degree unless it'll be their home country and even say Cambodian guy  taken to Cambodia likely will long more to see his family and friends than Angkor Wat or Preah Vihar.

So we should be prepared to give them their freedoms at least at some time during day but be firm with what we want to explore at that time , with guy in tow or not.

Yes I agree .most of the boys don't share the same interests as we do,from my experience boys love big cities and nightlife : BKK,Pattaya or Chiang Mai but when I took them to islands in the south or touristic places in the mainland they were bord .most of them do not like to be exposod too much to the sun so beaches are certainly not their cup of tea.

Being with a boy 24/7 is not so easy as many may think I did it before but won't do it anymore only ST for me from now on 

5 hours ago, CurtisD said:

In addition to the temples and the broader view, the sight of around 31 balloons from three different companies all aloft in the same breeze is quite something.

The in-flight magazine of the local airline featured an article on a group of temples perched on top of a dramatic volcanic plug with the appearance of rising sheer into the air from nowhere.

The monkeys are a complication.

The ascent must be undertaken barefoot. The golden brown monkeys are cute. People feed them, so they cluster around the path and do what well fed-and-watered monkeys do. Do Do. A better prepared couple are wiping their feet with sanitary wipes post-descent.

31 balloons already !!!  When i was there in  2001 there's was one  and it was very recent novelty. Still probably best 200 USD spent in my life. I wonder how much it is now with all that competition ?

Place you went to is called Mt. POPA, it will not be any consolation but then I had the same problem you guys had - barefoot ascent and descent with monkeys holy shit and pee all over but from  your narrative  at least it looks there are regular cleaners. 

Place is  very impressive though  so readers should not to be discouraged  from visiting but rather prepared with water and towel to wash their feet after all climbing is done.

I run out of "likes" today as it seems to be daily  limit , will make for it tomorrow.

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

Still probably best 200 USD spent in my life. I wonder how much it is now with all that competition ?

Competition has not lowered the price. Around $375 from memory.   

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

Place is  very impressive though  so readers should not to be discouraged  from visiting but rather prepared with water and towel to wash their feet after all climbing is done.

Totally agree.

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

In my experience this has never been a problem.  Guys enjoy being a tourist in their home country.  Something they don't always get a chance to do.  I've consistently been impressed that guys I've traveled with have been interested in museum visits, etc., which aren't part of their limited school curriculum.  More often than not they want to take in a museum at a slower pace than my in-and-out-in-40-minutes pace. ;)   And then when it comes to going to a different country, be it Singapore or Malaysia or Bali, etc., again, I've always found them to be excellent traveler/tourist/companions.  I've never had any problem with them not being interested in a 1:00 am to climb Mt. Batur, pre-dawn trek to Borobudur or a visit to temples or art museums in Bali.  Only problems I've ever had have been (1) desire for home country food, (2) appropriate sunscreen or sun protection and (3) one year a grown man I was traveling with was too scared to stay and watch the Ogo-Ogo demon parade in Bali.

It may of course be that I just have good luck with my guys.  

2 hours ago, CurtisD said:

Competition has not lowered the price. Around $375 from memory.   

Per person or per balloon? At any point did you feel unsafe or the operator was unskilled? I generally dislike heights but would be willing to take a risk for this magical experience, would want a very professional and safety focused  operator to ease  my mind. 

2 hours ago, hank75 said:

Per person or per balloon? At any point did you feel unsafe or the operator was unskilled? I generally dislike heights but would be willing to take a risk for this magical experience, would want a very professional and safety focused  operator to ease  my mind. 

don't be chicken and just go, focus your mind on what you see from above , not operator skills, balloons are expensive and operator wants  to return home as much as you do

24 minutes ago, vinapu said:

don't be chicken and just go, focus your mind on what you see from above , not operator skills, balloons are expensive and operator wants  to return home as much as you do

I’m asking because it’s also possible I may travel with family members instead - their safety is paramount, more important than my own! 

1 minute ago, hank75 said:

I’m asking because it’s also possible I may travel with family members instead - their safety is paramount, more important than my own! 

You probably already know, but if the wind is above a certain threshold the balloons do not rise that day.  :(  So if it's important to you or your family (as such a unique experience may well be), you might want to consider building in some flexibility to the schedule to allow for this.  Often easier said than done.

3 hours ago, hank75 said:

Per person.

There are three companies operating balloons and all have a very good safety record. 

Our pilot was very experienced. 

No concerns at all.

38 minutes ago, DivineMadman said:

You probably already know, but if the wind is above a certain threshold the balloons do not rise that day.  :(  So if it's important to you or your family (as such a unique experience may well be), you might want to consider building in some flexibility to the schedule to allow for this.  Often easier said than done.

I did not know this, actually. Very good tip. I will likely have opportunities to return but not family members. So it has to happen first trip, if at all. Thank you I will keep in mind. 

12 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

In my experience this has never been a problem.  

It may of course be that I just have good luck with my guys.  

I think it  might be more likely that you are just a nice guy who takes people the way they are instead of the way someone might want them to be.

Sorry couldn't resist and now I will disappear once again.;)

19 minutes ago, CurtisD said:

Jupiter – First visit, 10pm, empty to the point of cavernous darkness! Full staff of waiters. Only about five guys coming on-and-off the stage. Almost no audience. I sit in the ‘VIP’ seats! Spooky. Second visit, 9.30pm and the VIP seats close to the stage are empty but reserved. Thin crowd, about ten guys on rotation, none of whom grab my attention

Do u recall what day is your visit? Surprised to hear only 5 guys on your first visit and 10 guys on second visit? Did wuhan virus really impacted the boys attendance? Apparently one guy i know working there also told me he is sick, maybe just flu so he didnt work that day, so maybe u caught the day when many of the boys got the flu? Hehe.

5 hours ago, spoon said:

Do u recall what day is your visit? Surprised to hear only 5 guys on your first visit and 10 guys on second visit? Did wuhan virus really impacted the boys attendance? Apparently one guy i know working there also told me he is sick, maybe just flu so he didnt work that day, so maybe u caught the day when many of the boys got the flu? Hehe.

It was midweek.

Coronavirus was news, but I do not think was to blame for the low numbers as no other clubs (eg Moonlight, Dream Boys) were like this.

However, thinking back on it, there was overall a lower number of Chinese at the clubs compared to past visits. 

The host at Hot Male was amusing. At one point he broke off our conversation to help a new customer. When he returned I did a double-take: he was wearing a mask. He took it off laughing 'Chinese customer'.

11 hours ago, CurtisD said:

Dream Boys – First visit, I catch the last couple of rotations before the show starts. A range of types. Show is too slow paced, although the diva is good. As another member has noted, she looks like Eartha Kitt.  Someone should tell her: I think she could channel Eartha well.

The Eartha Kitt look-alike that I had mentioned earlier was at Freshboys, not Dream Boys.  I did point out the resemblance to her and showed her some pictures a long time ago when we first met at X-Size.

11 hours ago, CurtisD said:

Hot Male – Had a good conversation with the host with the vampyric incisors, whom I like. 

His name is Kai.  I like him also.  He used to be at Classic Boys before moving to Hot Male (when it was on Soi Twilight).

On 1/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, CurtisD said:

Bangkok

Since the last trip Bangkok Guy and I have added Line video chat to communication-by-sticker. Given our linguistic deficiencies, ‘chat’ is a bit of an over-statement. It is more face-reading – we both get to see that the other is well and happy.

Apart from struggling through Chinese tour groups blocking the entrance to immigration while they receive their collective instructions, my journey is uneventful, just as I like it.

After a brief nap I am up and bouncing and head for breakfast on the hotel’s riverside terrace. Over breakfast it dawns on me that I have not really thought through this choice of hotel.

The concept is good. Find a relaxing spot by the river where we can spend a couple of days before we travel doing nothing except sitting by the pool while I get over jet lag.

The execution, well, I must have been busy with something else when I booked this.

The hotel is very nice.

But the pool is crowded with families with kids. Exactly what I avoid. No quiet swimming of laps here.

Bangkok Guy arrives in the evening and after dropping his bag in the room we head to Vertigo for a joint birthday dinner.

After bringing each other up-to-date (he is working for his sister who, after genealogical enquiry, is actually his much older cousin) I ask him what he would like for Christmas. I had said I would get him something. He looks at me as though I am quite odd. “Cannot say. Has to be surprise.” Surely Falang you realize this?

“In my family we ask each other, so that people get what they want”. His face lights up – “Get what want?” I see where this is going but keep a straight face “Yes, what you want?”

Bangkok Guy elaborately holds out his hand, spreads his fingers and strokes his ring finger.

“You want another finger? Why you want six fingers?”

“Noooo” he says, tilting his head back and rolling his eyes in mock exasperation.

Think of something else.

“What I really want?” again with that twinkle in the eye. “Yes”.

He points – “That what I want”. I try to follow his finger. “….. What?” “Building”. He is pointing to a tower block.

I'll ask for such simple things when my birthday occurs
Two apartment buildings that are labeled "Hers and Hers"

I am dining with Eartha Kitt.

A waiter passes carrying a cake with candles and soon ‘Happy Birthday’ breaks out a few tables away. “You want?” A definite no from Bangkok Guy “I too shy”. “You want?” he asks me. No. Not my thing.

Toward the end of the meal I get a surprise business call, which I have to take. I signal sorry to Bangkok Guy. It takes a while. Once I am off the phone we turn to dessert. That is Bangkok Guy turns to dessert. He is very keen on dessert. I usually do not eat dessert but, to enable Bangkok Guy to indulge while retaining face, the etiquette is one dessert with two spoons, with my spoon receiving much less use than his.

Bangkok Guy signals to the waiter and what arrives is not the dessert menu but a birthday cake and the whole song-and-dance.

“How they know?” Bangkok Guy signals complete lack of knowledge. I know that too-innocent look. Surprisingly it is fun and once he sees my grin Bangkok Guy is very happy. We enjoy the cake.

The check arrives and I decide the waiter deserves a decent tip. Bangkok Guy sees me add the 1000Bt note and his face turns into a series of question marks before politely but decisively taking charge and taking the check folder from me.

His next shock is the bill. It is a stunner. A little over 9000Bt including service fee and taxes with no alcohol. You pay for that view.

He, very sweetly, tells me how we will handle this.

First, there is already 10% service fee. He will handle tip. Waiter will be happy. If I handle tip, waiter die of shock. You want kill waiter? 

Second, we now eat Thai. (We do).

He tips 200Bt and the waiter is indeed happy and, what is more, lives to enjoy the 200Bt.

Back on the ground I tell him he was correct. I will now follow his lead on tipping (I do). “In Thailand is already service fee. Save 800Bt”. Bangkok Guy is very happy with his contribution to the evening.

On 2/2/2020 at 6:48 AM, CurtisD said:

Manila I do not like. However, the areas of natural beauty might be interesting as he likes the outdoors.

Malaysia I have not considered as my understanding is that it is not gay friendly?

It seems you are both Adventurers so I think you would definitely enjoy visiting El Nido on Palawan. And you do not need to stay at one of the Posh We Own the Island Resorts!!! You can fly direct from Manila and now I think also from Cebu-Mactan Airport. You can visit the Catholic Churches... ENJOY

On 2/7/2020 at 1:29 AM, GWMinUS said:

It seems you are both Adventurers so I think you would definitely enjoy visiting El Nido on Palawan. And you do not need to stay at one of the Posh We Own the Island Resorts!!! You can fly direct from Manila and now I think also from Cebu-Mactan Airport. You can visit the Catholic Churches... ENJOY

This looks great. Thanks for the suggestion.