Face Masks, Gel etc

From South China Morning Post 

Singapore ‘idiot’s guide’ to coronavirus crisis control: don’t do it like Hong Kong

If you haven’t yet heard that leaked audio clip of Singaporean Trade and Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing’s recent rant against “idiots” panic buying masks and stripping store shelves of daily essentials such as rice, noodles and toilet paper, I cannot recommend it enough.

It’s an appeal to common sense and a lament for the lack of it, as well as a contemptuous rebuke to mass hysteria, mob mentality and selfish, irrational behaviour triggered by the coronavirus crisis. And it’s all delivered in classic Singaporean style – thickly accented, punctuated regularly with Singlish slang, and simultaneously crude, hilarious and on point.

Chan explains his government’s initial decision to distribute four masks to every household as taking a “gamble to calm the nerves”, rather than a supreme necessity and right for each citizen.

“But to issue four to every family, I burn another 5 million masks from my limited stockpile. When China now asks for masks, right, China is burning at a rate of hundreds of millions a day. Which country, and even which production line, can meet China’s needs? Cannot, right?” Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor’s handling of the crisis provides a handy guide for Chan on how not to do it, otherwise “I can guarantee you today our hospital system would have broken down. If we issue surgical masks and give everybody surgical masks just to make them feel shiok shiok[immensely satisfied] because they say Carrie Lam wear mask, right? At the conference, right? Ah today you see newspaper. What is happening to Hong Kong now? What did South China Morning Post report about Hong Kong? They are down to less than one month’s supply of masks for their medical people. Which means that when the medical people don’t even get masks, you think they dare to go and take care of the sick people?”

He goes on to lambast Singaporeans stockpiling everything from masks and alcohol swabs to rice and even condoms, go figure.

Continues with video at

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3051916/singapore-idiots-guide-coronavirus-crisis-control-dont-do

Incidentally, I am in Thailand currently and have not even considered shortening the trip.   The probability of being infected currently looks very low and I don't envisage being quarantined upon returning home either.

If the numbers were going up like South Korea, then I might have thought about an early return home.

13 hours ago, z909 said:

Incidentally, I am in Thailand currently and have not even considered shortening the trip.   The probability of being infected currently looks very low and I don't envisage being quarantined upon returning home either.

If the numbers were going up like South Korea, then I might have thought about an early return home.

What happened in south korea can actually happen anywhere really. It takes just one selfish individual to refuse being tested for the virus and starts a chain spreading where she went to few more services and infected hundreds more. But yeah, im not sure why the authority there allows for people to refuse being tested, when the virus is just waiting for a breakout. Other than china, we have seen local breakouts in singapore, italy, iran, as well as the cruise ship diamond princess.

I foresee we will not see the end of this anytime soon, and travel restriction has been ineffective anyway. So i dont think basing decision to travel or not to a place where local cluster transmission has not been observed is justifiable. Keep abreast with the news and keep practising good hygene practices and if you show symptoms, wear a mask and get to a clinic asap.

2 hours ago, gpfun69 said:

I have an upcoming trip to BKK which was booked 2 months ago. I guess I will probably do ahead, but most likely I would avoid the crowded places like bars and saunas.

Absolutely go (or don't go) wherever you feel comfortable.  It's your holiday and you should be comfortable and relaxed.  

Personally, I have no concerns at all about hanging out in any of the bars (gogo,  Hot Male Beer Bar, Telephone, etc.).  If someone near me was coughing I would probably notice and move a bit away, but beyond that I am simply following the WHO/CDC suggestions about hand washing and I do wear a mask in the stores and BTS, but just because I think it's expected of us now.  

By no means a statistician, but my gut - and a considerable gut is is - tells me that when you work through all the numbers and probabilities, the risk from all the passive smoking at those bars is probably greater than getting COVID-19 now.  So far not a hint of any cases of transmission in the bar scene.  (So far....)

Saunas I'll let others who spend time there address.  

My only fear or more a concern if i do catch it, ill have to let the authority do a check on my travel history and i really dont want to tell the world what ive been doing, who ive met, and wher ive been when i am in thailand lol. I believe that should be private matter but the fear of this covid-19 does mean you will have to be transparent about it or it might lead to another breakout. I really dont want the news to be "gay sex tourist amongst the latest confirmed case of covid-19, and he has been with multiple guys at a gay sauna party of 300+ people". And they will definitely contact all your family and friends of recent contacts too, within 14 days or so, which might include co-workers etc. Imagine the nightmare itll bring lol

45 minutes ago, spoon said:

My only fear or more a concern if i do catch it, ill have to let the authority do a check on my travel history and i really dont want to tell the world what ive been doing, who ive met, and wher ive been when i am in thailand lol. I believe that should be private matter but the fear of this covid-19 does mean you will have to be transparent about it or it might lead to another breakout. I really dont want the news to be "gay sex tourist amongst the latest confirmed case of covid-19, and he has been with multiple guys at a gay sauna party of 300+ people" 

That’s my fear as well.

This is not a good time for wishful thinking. Last year at this point in time, I had just returned from a Thai holiday and planning my next journey to Bangkok and Pattaya.

This year, well...I’m reading the forum posts and PMs from members who are in Thailand and several of the boys who stay in touch via Line. My plans like many airlines are in a holding pattern about trips to Asia especially those that pass through Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China. 

The rumor internet tells me that things will be better by April, warmer weather, medical break through, quarantine success, etc and United is resuming Hong Kong flights on April 25th (about the same time as the 737-Max restart)...

I’m booking for a month beginning in mid-May. That’s a longer visit than usual for me...but all bookings will be refundable. 

7 hours ago, spoon said:

My only fear or more a concern if i do catch it, ill have to let the authority do a check on my travel history and i really dont want to tell the world what ive been doing, who ive met, and wher ive been when i am in thailand lol. I believe that should be private matter but the fear of this covid-19 does mean you will have to be transparent about it or it might lead to another breakout. I really dont want the news to be "gay sex tourist amongst the latest confirmed case of covid-19, and he has been with multiple guys at a gay sauna party of 300+ people". 

I don't mind the part about telling them who I have seen.   However, I would mind the part where they release all this to the media.  In fact, I would be tempted to insist the authorities sign a NDA to prevent them releasing details to The Sun etc.  Then they can have access to my Grindr contacts.

Also, most of the people I've met on the phone apps are 18-30  and from Laos or Cambodia.  So (a) that's an age range with a very high survival rate for Wu flu and (b) I guess they have no medical insurance in Thailand.

7 hours ago, spoon said:

My only fear or more a concern if i do catch it, ill have to let the authority do a check on my travel history and i really dont want to tell the world what ive been doing, who ive met, and wher ive been when i am in thailand lol. I believe that should be private matter but the fear of this covid-19 does mean you will have to be transparent about it or it might lead to another breakout. I really dont want the news to be "gay sex tourist amongst the latest confirmed case of covid-19, and he has been with multiple guys at a gay sauna party of 300+ people". And they will definitely contact all your family and friends of recent contacts too, within 14 days or so, which might include co-workers etc. Imagine the nightmare itll bring lol

That’s my one and only fear as well. And from where I come from, the media has been super transparent in reporting all recent cases. 

11 hours ago, ggobkk said:

I’m booking for a month beginning in mid-May. That’s a longer visit than usual for me...but all bookings will be refundable. 

This may be one of the few times booking a more expensive but flexible ticket may be the wise option. There’s no way to accurately predict conditions a few months out and the comfort of being able to change or cancel dates with little or no penalty can provide real peace of mind.

It’s also a good opportunity to cash in miles for flights and accommodations. Miles generally can be redeposited if your plans change..

A quick check of hotel booking sites shows lots of flexibility in cancellation policies. One strategy is to book a full cancel room for far out dates and if conditions improve as you get nearer, cancel and choose a non-refundable option.

Even if you opt for a non-refundable air ticket, airlines will waive change fees  if they are responsible for canceling or changing flights.

No one I know is more up to speed on the ins and outs of air bookings than PaulSF. So if he posts on the matter, take heed.

In any case, it’s encouraging to see that the dwindling number of farangs are now in a position to help bolster the precarious position the bars momentarily find themselves in—and of course of the livelihood of the guys who populate them.

The procedure at Prime massage now is your hands are sprayed with some sanitizing spray and your temperature is tested using one of those forehead guns before you can get in to make an appointment.  You have to wear a mask while booking (there's a sign that says they sell them for 10B if you don't have one) and the manager and his girl sidekick are both wearing masks.  Masseurs wear masks.  The usual spa smell is now a mixture of lemongrass and disinfectant.   I and the other patrons were all wearing masks during the foot massage part.  I took mine off for the Thai massage (but I am pretty sure the masseur kept his on).

All very re-assuring.  I wouldn't mind if the bars adopted similar procedures at the door.  

(Obviously the spray of disinfectant isn't as good as a long proper handwashing, but it's still better than nothing.  Good for them for doing it.)

I wonder

4 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

The procedure at Prime massage now is your hands are sprayed with some sanitizing spray and your temperature is tested using one of those forehead guns before you can get in to make an appointment.  You have to wear a mask while booking (there's a sign that says they sell them for 10B if you don't have one) and the manager and his girl sidekick are both wearing masks.  Masseurs wear masks.  The usual spa smell is now a mixture of lemongrass and disinfectant.  

Do you think Prime have a clearly defined temperature at which they send customers away ?

Do they disinfect the mattresses between clients ?    That would be one area where I suspect getting a massage is higher risk than taking someone to my room

Note, none of this had stopped me getting massages and I saw no extra precautions at all in Pattaya massage shops.

11 minutes ago, z909 said:

I wonder

Do you think Prime have a clearly defined temperature at which they send customers away ?

Do they disinfect the mattresses between clients ?    That would be one area where I suspect getting a massage is higher risk than taking someone to my room

Note, none of this had stopped me getting massages and I saw no extra precautions at all in Pattaya massage shops.

They were so serious in the shop I think they probably do have a threshold temperature, but I didn't ask.  

I wasn't there to see if they wipe down the foot massage chairs.  The linen on the pillow for the chairs and in the massage rooms of course is changed for every customer.  I don't know if they do a proper wipe down of the mattresses in addition.  Would be nice if they did.  Wouldn't surprise me either way.  

No other massage shop I've been to recently has taken this level of precautions, but my guess is they know that with the sheer number of people who come through the door and so many from the mainland, they are at especially high risk.

Or it's a toy gun and it's all a brilliant marketing ploy.  :)  

MRT have introduced temperature screening at the busiest stations (according to the MRT Facebook page), including Silom and Sukhumwit.  I don't know if the BTS is following suit.

Now open season on whether the device they are using requires direct physical contact (in which case - eew, are they wiping it off between uses?) or is he just doing it wrong (in which case, :growl:)

87203342_10158114781959516_723702491887173632_o.thumb.jpg.3adb89bcf1d7fdae11fc9e419d38554a.jpg

1 hour ago, DivineMadman said:

Now open season on whether the device they are using requires direct physical contact (in which case - eew, are they wiping it off between uses?) or is he just doing it wrong (in which case, :growl:)

Hopefully they're using those non-contact infrared thermometers. Otherwise, yes, eww.

Every time I see the infrared devices in contact with the skin I cringe. Not only does the opportunity for cross contamination exist, it’s contrary to recommended practice. The following is excerpted from “Non-Contact Thermometers for Detecting Fever: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness” issued by the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health.

”non contact thermometers are to be held 15 cm (6 in) away from the patient”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK263237/

19 hours ago, z909 said:

I wonder

I was at Prime on Sunday. I walked there in the afternoon heat and was measured at 37.2 degrees C.  I was asked to sit down on the bench outside, which had a fan blowing to cool down. Within a minute, my temperature dropped to 36.7 and was allowed in. I didn't ask what the threshold temperature was but generally everywhere else the clear defined temperature that they are looking at is 37.5.

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

that's depressing, what;'s next ? mamasan measuring temperature of customer before he calls boy over? 69 with both parties wearing masks ?

Just bear in mind, the wu-flu survival rate for lads in their 20s is very high, but much lower for more mature people.  Customers of a certain age might want to take more care, if they are in an area with many cases.  Currently, the risk in Thailand seems low, so I continue enjoying myself.

The bar boys will be fine, once the disruption is over, after however many months it takes.