mvan1

Rio - not the same anymore

• Members
Home  Business  Rio Loses R$657 Million in Tourism Over 8 Months Due to Violence

Rio Loses R$657 Million in Tourism Over 8 Months Due to Violence

Restaurants, bars and hotels have registered significant revenue losses and some have been forced to close in the eight first months of the year.

By
 Lise Alves
 -
November 3, 2017

By Lise Alves, Senior Contributing Reporter

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – The city of Rio de Janeiro has lost more than R$657 million of its tourism revenues during the eight first months of the year due to crime and violence, according to a new survey conducted by the National Confederation of Commerce of Goods, Services and Tourism (CNC).

Brazil, Couve Flor restaurant closed its doors in September due to the recent escalation of violence in the city Couve Flor restaurant closed its doors in September due to the recent escalation of violence in the city, photo internet reproduction.

The loss is equivalent to 29 percent of the total loss of the sector’s revenues during the period (R$2,291 billion).

The segment of bars and restaurants suffered more than half of the loss (R$332.1 million), according to the survey, with both tourists and residents afraid to go out due to the increasing reports of violent clashes between police and trafficking gangs.

The violence also makes it harder for those who live in these communities plagued with the escalating violence to go to work.

One of the first and most famous health food venues in Rio, Couve-Flor, closed its Jardim Botanico location restaurant in September. According to owner Jair Pinto, the armed disputes in the Rocinha favela community led to repeated absences of many of his employees who live in the community. “In a single day eleven employees missed work,” Pinto told Globo newspaper. “They could not leave the house because of the shootings.”

Another city landmark, Osteria Policarpo, located in Rio’s Humaita neighborhood, closed its doors last month, after 25 years. According to chef and owner Luiz Gennari, the restaurant did not resist the strong economic crisis and the increased violence faced by the city in the past year.

“Unfortunately the situation of our country, state and city is very complicated and we will not be able to remain open,” said the restaurant in its social media page.

The segments of transportation, travel agencies and car rental companies also suffered losses, totaling R$215.5 million, or 32.6 percent of the total revenues while the segment of hotels and inns registered losses of R$97.7 million, or 14.8 percent of the total revenues during the January-August 2017 period.

• Members
1 hour ago, KevinC said:

Crime, violence and corruption is part of the Brazilian culture....from the top of government, and from the beginning of Portuguese colony.

The article discusses a major impact to tourism that occurred over eight recent months (January through August of this year).

Many (not all) from this forum will change their habit of frequent visits to Rio.   At the very least, more caution than was necessary in prior times is warranted when currently visiting Rio. 

A corrupt government or the beginning of colonialism is irrelevant to the article.     

1 hour ago, mvan1 said:

....  A corrupt government or the beginning of colonialism is irrelevant to the article.     

I did not said I was commenting on your article.

• Members
5 hours ago, floridarob said:

Follow this Facebook page to see some of the gruesome shit that happens there...

https://www.facebook.com/policiaisoperacionaisbrasil/

I'm still going the end of the month though ;)

Same i will be going at the end of november...my last time was 1 month ago ...medias are making things looking much worse than what they are. The level of crime which Rio is currently experiencing is the same of the period between 2010 and 2013. Slightly higher than during the olympics.

Almost all of the crap which is going on, usually happens in favelas or in crappy neighborhoods. Just don't go there. Easy.

One of the worst experiences of my life happened in a McDonald's involving a thief, a gun and the head of the cashier at which it was aimed to. That was in New York.

I'm not saying that Rio is heaven...but well...keep in mind that what's happening now, is nothing new and that presidential elections are approaching in a scenario where the current president approval is less than 10%, and where every single event is going to cause a hell of a crapstorm.

• Members

Reading Kevin’s posts reminds me so much of this gay law professor that I had in law school over 20 years ago. He was scrawny, very insecure, geeky, not anything at all to look at, socially inept, and always inappropriately speaking up just to be heard. He thought it made him seem charming, witty and bright, but everyone just thought he was obnoxious. It probably all stemmed from his insecurity about his personal appearance, as he was a real troll.

SolaceSoul we all all have to remember the first rule of the internet....”don’t feed the Trolls”.  I know it is easy to forget and you want to respond but it just gives them another breath!.  That is one of although not the main reason I started the private club on here so information and photos could be shared without having to deal with all the shit!  It makes it much more enjoyable!

• Members
2 hours ago, Tomcal said:

SolaceSoul we all all have to remember the first rule of the internet....”don’t feed the Trolls”.  I know it is easy to forget and you want to respond but it just gives them another breath!.  That is one of although not the main reason I started the private club on here so information and photos could be shared without having to deal with all the shit!  It makes it much more enjoyable!

Trust me, I know. Sometimes, Just for shits and giggles, I’ve gone out of my way to meet internet trolls in person, just so that I can laugh in their miserable faces. They almost always look like you’d expect a troll to look.

6 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

Trust me, I know. Sometimes, Just for shits and giggles, I’ve gone out of my way to meet internet trolls in person, just so that I can laugh in their miserable faces. They almost always look like you’d expect a troll to look.

Really?  You have gone out of your way to meet internet trolls in person? That makes you one of them.  Birds of a feather flock together.  I have no desire to meet any internet trolls.  LOL.

• Members
On 03/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, floridarob said:

Follow this Facebook page to see some of the gruesome shit that happens there...

https://www.facebook.com/policiaisoperacionaisbrasil/

I'm still going the end of the month though ;)

Also going there at the end of November for 10 days in Rio. Anyone willing to meet can pm me

• Members
5 hours ago, KevinC said:

Really?  You have gone out of your way to meet internet trolls in person? That makes you one of them.  Birds of a feather flock together.  I have no desire to meet any internet trolls.  LOL.

Of course you wouldn’t. Trolls usually avoid mirrors. And gyms. And treadmills.

17 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

Of course you wouldn’t. Trolls usually avoid mirrors. And gyms. And treadmills.

Birds of a feather flock together.  Trolls love trolls.  LOL.

And, before you make comments on other posters appearance, please check your own appearance first.  There are quite  a few obessed people in my local gym.  They go everyday.  LOL.

1 hour ago, KevinC said:

Birds of a feather flock together.  Trolls love trolls.  LOL.

And, before you make comments on other posters appearance, please check your own appearance first.  There are a few obessed and/or older people in my local gym.  They go everyday, no change tho.  LOL.

• Members

Ok--I'll chime in as I am in Rio now. For the average visitor nothing has changed one bit. The city is beautiful and vibrant as always. The saunas are full of great guys and on sunny days the beaches are packed. When I left The Week(dance club) at 5am last night there were thousands of guys still dancing inside. I see no more security or anything different now than in the 15 years I have been visiting here. What has changed in talking to locals is a little sense that the overall security situation is worse. An Uber driver last night told me how dangerous the city was now. More than the security issue the locals gripe about the prolonged economic crisis and the fact that the lower value of the Real has hurt their ability to travel and buy goods from abroad. But for all the problems they have--security and otherwise--they still don't have the kind of mass shootings that occur in the US.

I have to share one experience from the other night that for me makes this place special. Last night on the metro while stopped at a station I looked upon two cute guys that were on the platform. By any gaydar in the world these two guys were 100% straight. When they figured out I was checking them out they gave me a big smile and a thumbs up. You won't find that at home.

• Members

I am in Rio from Dec 2 to Dec 8. 

Will probably get to see you in one of the main saunas. 

5 hours ago, Tomcal said:

Same as me except I depart SP On the 11th

22 hours ago, pauleiro said:

Also going there at the end of November for 10 days in Rio. Anyone willing to meet can pm me

7 hours ago, pauleiro said:

These are my exact dates : 1 to 10 ! 

I think it has gotten more like the first 4 or 5 years I started going to Rio! Lots of minor thefts, many guys had their Name brand sneakers stolen from them(seems like most Brazilians are a size 10!) two different sauna boys were killed on the beach in Copa but almost all these incidents were drug related and didn’t affect the Tourists or tourist zone! I was much more naive back then as were my friends and can say we collectively did not have any harrowing experiences!