RockHardNYC

"God's Own Country," Terrific film for gay viewers.

• Members

If you haven't seem it, I highly recommend "God's Own Country," a new film by writer/director Frances Lee, available now on Netflix. The film is wrongly being compared to "Brokeback Mountain," probably because it's a love story centered around two Yorkshire farm hands.

It's a beautiful story, expertly written, directed, and acted. There is lead actor full-frontal nudity, and the cinematography is superb. The ending will make you smile.

Josh O'Connor, whom I know as playing an annoying son on "The Durrells in Corfu," delivers a first-rate performance in this film as Johnny Saxby. I believe this effort will have tremendous impact on his career.

The character Saxby is very deep, rich, and complicated. Rough, raw, and masculine. The story is about the discovery of one's ability to love and feel love. Emotional evolution from A-to-Z. O'Conner delivers an amazing performance, and he delivers BIG. He's also beautiful naked.

The Yorkshire accents are pretty thick, so watching it a second time with closed-caption on might help.

5b59eb141900001d03500740.jpeg?cache=Lnj5

gods-own-country.jpg

6761?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signatu

DWJSOm4VAAI0ZVf.jpg

• Members

I saw the movie via Netflix. On the DVD's they send, closed captioning is not available, and I couldn't understand much of what the characters were saying. The movie's producers should have known that a majority of the movie's audience would have trouble understanding the dialog, so I don't understand why they skimped out on providing the subtitles. Even people from southern England have trouble understanding people from northern England.

• Members

FWIW, you can simulcast almost any written language with almost any English-language movie or TV show with this free app. It is kept surprisingly current.

Actually, I have the Pro version for a few dollars ... I cannot recall why.

It even has both Brasilian and Euro Portuguese. 

The thing is you have to watch the subtitles on a device separate from the screen on which you are viewing the film or series. Therefore, if dialogue is going too quickly for you to manage to attend to both screens you must pause/play both at the same time. It is quite simple to line up the two systems initially, but stopping and reversing is very tricky to maintain synchronicity. 

Alternatively, ditch the mailed DVDs format and stick to online (for Netflix).

IMG_4183.PNG

• Members

I agree that it's a wonderful film. I said so on the other site when I saw it some months ago on general release in the UK. I think the sex scenes are particularly realistic. It should be borne in mind that it's an independent film made in the UK on a very limited budget.

• Members
23 hours ago, unicorn said:

I couldn't understand much of what the characters were saying.

The Yorkshire dialect in this film is very strong. Not only that, the characters use colloquial phrases and idioms that English-speaking Americans simply will not get. To fully understand what the characters are saying, you need to see the script as the film roles. The first time I saw this film, I had no idea how Gheorghe came to be a guest in this house.

• Members
On 8/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, msclelovr said:

I agree that it's a wonderful film. I said so on the other site when I saw it some months ago on general release in the UK. I think the sex scenes are particularly realistic. It should be borne in mind that it's an independent film made in the UK on a very limited budget.

...saw in 2019 and thought it was very well done.  ...rather poignant.